Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Daniels: Redskins were doomed by overconfidence

Juice6182

Just came across this article. Honestly I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say this. I've been thinking it all year. Your thoughts?

Link: http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20061211-1627-fbn-reelingredskins.html

By JOSEPH WHITE - AP Sports Writer

2006-12-11 18:29

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -Phillip Daniels is a standup guy, a team leader and 11-year veteran defensive lineman who speaks his mind.

On Monday, he sat calmly at his locker and subtly called out his teammates as he explained why the Washington Redskins, a team with high preseason expectations, are headed for a last-place finish.

``It ain't the success that's the problem,'' Daniels said. ``It's how you handle it, and I don't think we handled it very well.''

I can't say it enough, but I truly and confidently believe that this season was one to learn from, and that it will only help this team in seasons to come. Gibbs and the front office will be much smarter and more careful in evaluating people who could help this team, there won't be any ****iness or overconfidence, Gibbs will have efficient and crisp practices, Williams will get this defense at least back to where it was in 2005, etc. There are so many mistakes the Redskins made this past season, but those mistakes will only help them grow and eventually become the team we've all been waiting for. I don't know, maybe I'm just dreaming, maybe they'll keep on doing the dumb things they have been, but something tells me that Gibbs won't allow it. I read his article about not stopping until he gets it right, I believe him. It isn't in his nature to let this city down.

Well this certainly needs to stop. You would think pride would come into play for the guys who are cutting out.

Daniels said he didn't see much outright ****iness, but there were telltale signs of players not taking their work as seriously.

“Guys have got to stop running out of here early after we get off practice and stay around and start studying a little more,” Daniels said.

We were playing soft the first half of the season and that was a result of a soft training camp. I think they are done being overconfident and realize if they dont work, they wont win. THey dont just show up to ball games and win, you have to be physical, smart, and play Redskins football. The team finally learned this, and Gibbs will put the entire organization in the doghouse this offseason. I cant wait to hear how tough training camp will be.

"Guys have got to stop running out of here early after we get off practice and stay around and start studying a little more,” Daniels said."

It's just so bloody fantastic we have so many players with such great work ethics. We have too many players that have already recieved their big pay day and not enough guys who haven't - and thus need to play well and work their tails off to get one

Take em back to Carlisle next year. And stop babying guys. If they get hurt then go to the next guy. Football is a sport that you have to play with reckless abandon. If you're worried about getting hurt then it's a self-fullfilling prophecy. The older guys might not like it but will they last the season anyway? We already have enough problems with so many guys laying out of practice. It can't be good for timing or morale.

guys running out quick?...doesnt' sound like a fun enviroment for the players...

Since when is it mandatory for it to be fun? The players need to realize that Football is how they earn a living it is their JOB. They are getting paid very handsomly to do that job and they should be giving 100%. Here is a suggestion, start winning and the fun will follow.

Poor coaching is responsible for this. The coaches fed this mentality with a baby training camp and no accountability for poor play. You'd think our genius and veteran coaching staff would know better, but they look more lost in the forest of coaching than the rookie coaches in New Orleans and Minnesota who have a firm hand and take care of their ****ing business. There is no lack of talent on this team, the reason we are losing is solely coaching.

No sale.

I don't want to hear about confidence, overconfidence, or any other psychological BS theory. We need more talented players and better coaching.

Poor coaching is responsible for this. The coaches fed this mentality with a baby training camp and no accountability for poor play. You'd think our genius and veteran coaching staff would know better, but they look more lost in the forest of coaching than the rookie coaches in New Orleans and Minnesota who have a firm hand and take care of their ****ing business. There is no lack of talent on this team, the reason we are losing is solely coaching.

Seriously, you guys should date. And, with your age difference, you could probably become members of MBLA. I bet you guy could really coach each other up!!!

I know SkinsTilDie already posted this quote in this thread but I don't think it can be underemphasized. This is coming form a guy who is in that locker room and knows.

“Guys have got to stop running out of here early after we get off practice and stay around and start studying a little more,” Daniels said.

Archived