Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you ready for the media's predictions about the 2007 Skins?

Larry Brown #43

Before this season started, many of us (myself probably included) mocked any media person who had the audacity to suggest that the Skins would not make the Super Bowl this season. Some media folks even went so far as to suggest we wouldn't even make the PLAYOFFS this year. Those were the COMPLETE morons, we all thought.

So here's my question: How will you react when the "experts" start telling the world that the 2007 Skins will finish last in the division and won't make the playoffs?

Granted, a lot will happen between now and the start of training camp. But after this years's debacle, you know what's coming when the media starts throwing out their predictions.

There's no right or wrong answer...I'm just throwing the question out there.

Before this season started, many of us (myself probably included) mocked any media person who had the audacity to suggest that the Skins would not make the Super Bowl this season. Some media folks even went so far as to suggest we wouldn't even make the PLAYOFFS this year. Those were the COMPLETE morons, we all thought.

So here's my question: How will you react when the "experts" start telling the world that the 2007 Skins will finish last in the division and won't make the playoffs?

Granted, a lot will happen between now and the start of training camp. But after this years's debacle, you know what's coming when the media starts throwing out their predictions.

There's no right or wrong answer...I'm just throwing the question out there.

I'm so sick of the whining about the media. The media is easy: just win, and they jump on the bandwagon. Lose, and you get what you deserve. The Skins are gonna finish last in the NFC East this year, so why would you cry if we're picked to finish last next year?

The Skins will get Portis back and Campbell will have a half-year of starting experience. That's good. On the down side, they still have a misfiring offense, lousy playcalling and clock management, too many overpaid coaches, lousy kicker, bad linebackers, and a defense that can't tackle, rush the passer, or defend the long ball. I'd say it would be perfectly fair to judge the Skins poorly at this point.

And call me what you will, I'm not getting excited about some free agent acquisition until I see him perform on the field.

They will say what they have been saying over the past 10 + years. They will say the Skins will finish last in the division. We proved them wrong last year. Can we prove them wrong next year? Cause we did prove them wrong this year.

Like I said, there's no right or wrong answer...and hopefully we will prove them wrong. But after our sky-high expectations for 2006, it'll be interesting to see how we respond when the media starts killing us before the '07 campaign begins. I'm guessing we (myself included) will still be calling them a bunch of morons. :)

And call me what you will, I'm not getting excited about some free agent acquisition until I see him perform on the field.

I think this gets to the heart of my question right here. When the media predicts doom and gloom for '07, will the fanbase be pointing to yet another round of splashy acquisitions as rationale for why we'll be good?

My wife is from New Orleans and her family members are Saints fans. They have endured so much losing over the years that even when the media predicts the Saints to be good, the fan reaction down there is, "The media is full of crap...we're gonna suck again this year!"

I guess we Skins fans have won enough in the last 25 years that we haven't come to grips yet with the idea that we actually could suck next year. :)

I am not going to go into the season with any idea of what to think. This year was the first time in a LONG time that I have felt good about the upcoming season, and everything I thought was going to be good wasn't. I will go into next season with a lot of hope that we will do well, but I won't say we will do well or poorly until I actually see us playing, and I also won't argue with anything the media might say.

There is nothing in sports more pathetic then a losing team whining about the media.

If the skins win the division next year then they have cause to complain about negative media coverage. I'm sure however we'll waste money and draft picks on FA signings and have a ton of "OMG THE MEDIA HATES US!" threads becuase they don't predict us to be great just because we signed some overhyped player.

I don't care about the offseason, at this point the only thing that will convince me this club isn't a sick joke of a franchise is results.

Does it really matter? Ever?

The way the NFL works these days teams go from awful to great overnight and vice versa, whether it's through injuries, chemistry issues, or outright parity catching up. A lot of people said we'd be 4-12 last year and we went to the playoffs, and a lot of people had us being Super Bowl contenders and look at us. Who could've predicted the Saints would be such a dominant force? Or that Vince Young would rally the Titans into great hope for next year, the Steelers and Big Ben would totally flounder and be as inconsistent as they've been, or Baltimore would come back and win the AFC North this year? For all we know, the Redskins could just as easily bounce back next year and win the NFC East and make the Super Bowl, or they could slide further downhill and win only 2 games.

No matter what anyone says about what our record will be next year, it's all just sheer luck to truly predict it in today's NFL, so I'll just be hopeful that we bounce back and this year turns out to be an anomaly, and that's really all I can do.

this year, many predicted us to do well, maybe even go to the superbowl (same with the panthers) and we have had an awful year. next year they will predict us to do terrible, probably to finish last in the division, and i think we will be good next year. well i guess we'll see

Archived