Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot Stinks

drumcop

Smoot played well. There's only so much you can do when in a bracketed zone. In man coverage he generally held down Smith and everyone else. The interference was a correct call, though almost an overwhelming play :). I just hate seeing Smoot and Bailey in zone. The big play against Bailey was zone. With as sharp as Brunell was we didn't do enough to disrupt him unfortunately.

Smoot is a solid man coverage guy, but the knock on him when he was coming out of college was that he was poor in zone.

Smoot would be the perfect compliment to Champ if we stuck with man coverage. He's not nearly as good as Champ, but with Champ shutting down the primary WR, Smoot showed he was dangerous covering the # 2 guy.

the zone killed us. in order for a zone to work and force turnovers, the front 4 need to put heaploads of pressure on the qb and force him to make bad throws. that wasn't happening with any regularity sunday. WAKE UP LEWIS!!! the strength of our secondary is not zone!

I didn't say he "sucks" I said he stinks.

Every time he got beat, he looked up as if he didn't expect the ball to be even thrown his way. I know its a team loss, but look again at the first two quarters - not one pass thrown Bailey or Greens' way.

Even the announcers said "It looks like the Jags have figured out in who's direction it is safe to throw it. It certainly isn't Green or Bailey they're testing".

I don't blame just him for the loss - but he is only good for one play per game and that usually does not translate into a touchdown....normally, just a tackle.

I like his energy and enthusiasm. I think he talks trash with the best of them - but he needs to walk his talk.

Alot of teams would kill for Smoot. One big problem I have with Marvin is his use of Cover 2( zone coverage). One of Smoots biggest problems or questions, coming out of college, was his handling of zone coverage. It was supposed to be his weakness, and it has been. I also think we are spoiled by having Champ. Teams do not attack Champ so they are going to attack the other side of the field, which Smoot is on. I wish Marvin would play man. We might give up some big plays, but I beleive the defense would also create more turnovers.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

Marvin Lewis does not stink either does Fred Smoot. The offense cannot continue to put the Defense in the optimum scoring position. The Zone coverage prevents big plays. Did any of you see what Marvin Harrison did to the Eagles Man coverage?

Uh, what? Funny that most of the big plays against our secondary come against the zone.

yea right...we have been burned in man coverage all season long as well. little logic here guys....if you aint got a consistent pass rush, it doesn't matter. the secondary is going to get eaten up. smooty hasn't been bad. he just hasn't been very good either. he as much as said so himself.

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

Uh, what? Funny that most of the big plays against our secondary come against the zone.

Hey Utah, would you care to explain to Mr. Armchair Quarterback how many of the big plays came against man coverage against the Jags last week?

Archived