Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins before extremeskins predicting the 1991 Redskins-Eagles playoff game

SkinsHokieFan

The referenced game has to rank right up there with most satisfying Skins wins ever. The poster was right on that the Redskins came out hard hitting in that game. Joe Gibbs hated Buddy Ryan.......there was an article in the Washington Post magazine that people link from time to time here that shows just what Gibbs' mood was on the eve of that game. I still remember after the game was over (20-6 Skins), and you saw the soon-to-be-fired Buddy scampering back to the locker room while Gibbs just gave him a dismissive wave from the other sideline........absolutely priceless.

The referenced game has to rank right up there with most satisfying Skins wins ever. The poster was right on that the Redskins came out hard hitting in that game. Joe Gibbs hated Buddy Ryan.......there was an article in the Washington Post magazine that people link from time to time here that shows just what Gibbs' mood was on the eve of that game.

Joe Gibbs was mad. Sputtering mad. Red-faced mad. Punch-the-wall mad. The subject was Philadelphia Eagles Coach Buddy Ryan, and the more Gibbs talked about him, the madder he got. The words came in angry bursts, as if Gibbs were ready to deck the questioner, as if he hoped that Ryan would feel the punch in Philadelphia.

"I live to play a game like this one," Gibbs said. "I live to play this guy."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/book/skinbook.htm < -- click on Ch 5, p 172

It was one of the best days of my Redskins life. The whole Eagles team, mouthed off the whole week before. That was the year of the imfamous "Body Bag" game. We went in there and dominated them all day long. Then after the game on the way to the locker room, Buddy was fired.

"During my service in the US Congress, I took the inititive in creating the internet"

you can play with words but it sure sounds to me like he was taking credit for the intenet.

Hear whatever you want to hear. If he wanted to claim he invented the internet, shouldn't/woundn't he have said, "I invented the internet."? That's what I would've said, if I wanted to make such a claim.

But I agree that this game was very satisfying. I live in Iggle country, and was just sick of hearing about the "body bag" game. They STILL talk about it today, and then they promptly shut up when I mention the "Buddy bag" game.

Buddy Ryan never won a playoff game as the Eagles head coach, but Rich Kotite did.:cheers:

"During my service in the US Congress, I took the inititive in creating the internet"

you can play with words but it sure sounds to me like he was taking credit for the intenet.

There's the issue right there. You are playing with the words to make it sound the way you want to hear it. The literal meaning of what was said cannot be debated, and in no way says anything about inventing. If it "sounded" that way to you, then either you had/have an agenda on this issue, to which NOTHING on earth would ever change your mind, or you have a gross misunderstanding of the English language. As to not insult your intelligence, I will assume that it is the former, which is fine, but you should just admit it. If it is the latter, then it is solely your fault that you are interpreting the words to suit your agenda. He clearly stated "During my service in the US Congress" which describes a legislative role. If the statement was "During my service with the Microsoft Corporation....", then you might have something. Debating whether or not Gore was a key contributor to the legislation is a different argument, but the fact IS that there WAS legislation in Congress. Either way, it's clear that you are the one playing with the words so that you hear what you want to hear. People who do not understand the meaning of words in the English language need to stop blaming those who do for using them properly.

It's a shame the thread starter had to put the little politica dig in a football thread and open the political can of worms where it doesn't belong.

Rant over.

blah blah blah blah blah I voted for Al Gore and will defend him to the end blah blah blah blah

It's a shame the thread starter had to put the little politica dig in a football thread and open the political can of worms where it doesn't belong.

Rant over.

Passing the buck, eh? :D

It is obvious that this link is desperatelly trying save Gore's image.

To me "creating the internet" is the same thing. Sorry. It's still funny and you know it.

Again, there's the problem. You just can't get past the "creating the internet" part can you? What a shame you can't actually look at the entire statement, and use language skills to realize that what surrounds "creating the internet" in fact gives it a different meaning entirely.

...."Gibbs is over the hill"......

is different than.....

"I hate people who say Gibbs is over the hill."

I'm not defending Al Gore.....I'm defending the English language, and I'm done!

Moving off the Al Gore and back to the thread....

Anyone remember that game for another reason? It saved Instant Replay for 1 more year. This was before Coaches challanges and Instant Replay was going to be short of the votes needed to keep going. Then, early in the game and the skins driving, a Redskins RB (I want to say Earnest Byner, but I could be wrong) Jumped over a pile, hit the ground, ball came out, eagles returned it for a TD.

Game was in Philly and the crowd was going NUTS.

However - The replay showed that the ground caused the fumble and the skins were given back the ball and scored a couple plays later....

Replay stayed arond for one more year. They had exactly the number of votes needed to keep in.

after the next year, it was taken away for awhile....

Archived