Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players to Cut AfterThis Season

MAATopDogg

Here are some players which I believe will be cut at the end of this season. Hopefully we'll have a real GM in place to make these decisions. It's amazing the players in the first list either are underperforming, injured or are just flat out too old to justify what their making. The second list of players need their contract restructured so we can pursue a DE(Dwight Freeney) or CB(Nate Clemens).

CUTS 2007 Cap Hit

Adam Archuleta $2,428,000(Total waste. Domoted to ST)

Mark Brunell $6,633,000(Injuries,Age,& can't throw deep)

Phillp Daniels $3,100,000(FA BUST should have got J Kearse instead.)

Christain Fauria $1,095,000(Can't block, too old, drops balls.)

John Hall $1,965,000(Still a good kicker but injured too often)

David Patten $3,012,000(Age, & couldn't crack the starting lineup)

Renaldo Wynn $4,028,000 (injuries,age,salary outweights play.)

TOTAL $22,261,000 in NON-producing players

Players that need their contract restructured.

2007 Cap Hit

Shawn Springs $7,358,000(is not what he once was but still good)

Chris Samuels $8,600,000(way overrated,gets beaten by 2nd team DE's)

Casey Rabach $3,650,000(average player,gets bullied by NT's and DT's)

Jon Jansen $5,853,000(his play is in decline every year)

Randy Thomas $5,412,000(Our best lineman,but not overpowering as he should be.

The o-line is so disappointing... as is the D-Line. This is where the game is won and they Skins get overpowered just about every time.

I hope they know where the holes are.

The D Line is like a spaghetti strainer with all those holes!

AA Sucks.

Brunell bye bye

Most of these guys are way overpaid.

I am just not happy with the player situation so I am going to post in both similar threads.

I agree with the players listed to be cut. I doubt you will get any of the restructured list to agree to lower their contract. I think what you have to do is start bringing younger players and groom them for the future. I think Thomas has earned his contract and up until this year so has Jansen is kind of a mystery which I hope he solves in the offseason. Rabach is serviceable and probably not worth the contract, but you need a replacement which the team does not have and the replacement should not cost an arm and a leg. Maybe a couple of fingers, but that is it. I hope they find a replacement of Dockery if starts demanding big money. He is too inconsistent and would make a good backup/fill in player.

Here are some players which I believe will be cut at the end of this season. Hopefully we'll have a real GM in place to make these decisions. It's amazing the players in the first list either are underperforming, injured or are just flat out too old to justify what their making. The second list of players need their contract restructured so we can pursue a DE(Dwight Freeney) or CB(Nate Clemens).

CUTS 2007 Cap Hit

Adam Archuleta $2,428,000(Total waste. Domoted to ST)

Mark Brunell $6,633,000(Injuries,Age,& can't throw deep)

Phillp Daniels $3,100,000(FA BUST should have got J Kearse instead.)

Christain Fauria $1,095,000(Can't block, too old, drops balls.)

John Hall $1,965,000(Still a good kicker but injured too often)

David Patten $3,012,000(Age, & couldn't crack the starting lineup)

Renaldo Wynn $4,028,000 (injuries,age,salary outweights play.)

TOTAL $22,261,000 in NON-producing players

Players that need their contract restructured.

2007 Cap Hit

Shawn Springs $7,358,000(is not what he once was but still good)

Samuels will never restructure again after our last go around with that. brunell will not be cut, that's not gonna happen. you can't cut two of d-ends in one year. there's a difference between a wish list and a cut list.

While still a disapointment, A. Carter I believe will be better next season. Which is why I am taking a wait an see approach on him. His salary is high but not that high. GW scheme doesn't utilize his talents the way it should and Carter needs to be surrounded by better talent in order to be the player he was in his first 2 years at SF. It makes Carter look like he only has 1 pass rush move.

Samuels will never restructure again after our last go around with that. brunell will not be cut, that's not gonna happen. you can't cut two of d-ends in one year. there's a difference between a wish list and a cut list.

I'm not saying Brunnell will get cut, but it is a strong possiblity.

We can cut 2 D-ends in one year and replace them with newer ones.

AA could actually saves us $.595M if cut after June 1st and would carry $7.167M of deadcap space in 2008. Jansen if cut after June 1st would save $4.25M and would carry about $1.8M of dead cap for 2008. MB would carry deadcap into 2008 of $2.8M and Casey R. would carry $2.2M of deadcap space into 2008. The rest of the list not who are not mentioned above would carry less than $1M of deadcap space into 2008. Here is what they would save if cut after June 1st 2007, or designated as per the new CBA agreement:

8 Mark Brunell QB $5.200M

76 Jon Jansen OT $4.250M

97 Renaldo Wynn DE $2.500M

61 Casey Rabach OC $2.750

80 David Patten WR $1.250M

40 Adam Archuleta S $0.595M

10 John Hall K $1.500M

AA could actually saves us $.595M if cut after June 1st and would carry $7.167M of deadcap space in 2008. Jansen if cut after June 1st would save $4.25M and would carry about $1.8M of dead cap for 2008. MB would carry deadcap into 2008 of $2.8M and Casey R. would carry $2.2M of deadcap space into 2008. The rest of the list not who are not mentioned above would carry less than $1M of deadcap space into 2008. Here is what they would save if cut after June 1st 2007, or designated as per the new CBA agreement:

76 Jon Jansen OT $4.250M

10 John Hall K $1.500M

So does that mean we should or should not cut them...cause it would benefit us i guess in 2007 but not in 08...so what should we do?

So does that mean we should or should not cut them...cause it would benefit us i guess in 2007 but not in 08...so what should we do?

I am not saying who should be cut but outlining what the implications would be. Clearly MB should be cut or restructured. The cap increases another $4-5M next year and possibly another $4-5M in 2008. Essentially, we could easily afford the deadcap space in 2008 since we normally have $10M+ or so anyway. Every year the cap increases softens the blow. Every year is a new year and one the fans expect to win. I would make aggressive FA moves again this year and look to restructure or cut many of those players I listed. We could easily find $20M.

I would get a stud CB, DT, and right OT. I would look for a young veteran MLB, and use Marshall for either WLB (if Rocky was a waste) or for LB depth. I would restructure Jansen and move him to LG and resign Dockery for OL depth. He should be reasonable.

The stud FA DT along with Griffen will plug the middle again and keep blocks away from our LB. I would keep Daniels, resign Wynn to minimum if he would take it, and draft a young DE with our 1st rounder after we trade down one time to pick up another pick. The second pick I would get a Center to back up and replace Casey Rabach. I would also draft a kicker in the 6th or 7th round.

76 Jon Jansen OT $4.250M

10 John Hall K $1.500M

Yeah let's cut half of our line. Why stop with half of our offensive line and both our DE's as another poster suggested? Let's just cut everyone and hold open tryouts. I have a few bartender friends back in DC that may be into it. Can we give Vermiel a call as long as we're at it?

so,... your telling me our line sucks no way

We cannot cut any of our Oline until we bring in guys to learn the system as backups for a while, and that cannot happen in the same year....

We need to find at least 2 solid backups at Oline who can challenge our starters for playing time next year. Then we can consider cutting those guys in 2008, if the new players pan out...

I pretty much agree with what madtoppdogg says. Our two "bookends" are not super star STUDS like their contracts say but they are steady NFL starters and I think thats it. As for the players we should cut I totall agree. Wynn should have been cut years ago & I think that Brunell probably will be cut this offseason because he will try to go somewhere and be a starter...or retire. Patten we havent really seen much of cuz he's always injured. I say cut him.

Archived