Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Jay Schroeder the biggest jerk to ever play for the Skins ?

Mickalino

I knew he was an arrogant *********, but when I read this, it made me boil with anger -

Doug Williams says his anger at Schroeder stemmed from a play early in the season when Gibbs sent him in and Schroeder refused to leave the huddle, leaving a humiliated Williams standing on the field, not knowing what to do. “Finally I went back to the sideline,” Williams recalls. “If the coach couldn’t get him off the field, I guess I couldn’t either.”

Schroeder and Williams were not on speaking terms, and it was clear that one had to go. “Jay and I didn’t have a relationship,” says Williams. “I don’t know if Jay interacted with anyone—Jay kept to himself.”

But in 1987 Schroeder went down with a shoulder separation in the season opener against the Eagles. Doug Williams entered the game and threw a 57-yard strike to wide receiver Ricky Sanders. After Schroeder got healthy, Gibbs called on Williams several times for come-from-behind victories. The controversy at season’s end was who would start in the playoffs. Gibbs chose Williams, a decision that crushed Schroeder

In 1988, Williams was joined by Mark Rypien, a Canadian-born, sixth-round 1986 draft pick from Washington State. Like Williams, Rypien was big and competitive. Unlike Schroeder, he was affable and a team player.

http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/sports/1651.html

Please take it easy on this comment...

LaVar is somewhat of a "jerk"...for not attending the Joe Gibbs press conference that initiated Gibbs ver. 2.0....

That is why they were never on good terms...

LaVar is still my boy...and i fought for him more than ANYBODY up on this board...trust me when I say that...I'm not even going to mention what happened during last year's San Francisco game...where I poured out every ounce of energy when LaVar took the field...time and time again...but he should have been there for the welcoming party for Joe Gibbs...it would have been the 'veteran leadership' thing to do...

That incident was pretty bad. But, for a point of reference, Billy Kilmer did a similar thing to Joe Theismann in the late 70s, as Theismann once related in an interview. Kilmer was either injured or benched during a game, and Theismann was told to go in for him. When Joe was in the huddle (i believe) Kilmer put himself back into the game by going up to him and saying something along the lines of "You, get out."

That incident was pretty bad. But, for a point of reference, Billy Kilmer did a similar thing to Joe Theismann in the late 70s, as Theismann once related in an interview. Kilmer was either injured or benched during a game, and Theismann was told to go in for him. When Joe was in the huddle (i believe) Kilmer put himself back into the game by going up to him and saying something along the lines of "You, get out."

I could be wrong but I believe that incident was also attibuted to Shroeder telling Williams to get out.

I dont even consider him a Redskin, and never did.

Him in a Redskin Uni was such a mis-nomor(spelling?) and oxymoron.

I am in denial about his existence in Washinton.

I agree!! But...if you liked him as a Skin you can find an authentic Skins jersey of him for the low price of $150!!

I dont even consider him a Redskin, and never did.

Him in a Redskin Uni was such a mis-nomor(spelling?) and oxymoron.

I am in denial about his existence in Washinton.

here here...amen ...& all that jazz!...Can't stand him...him and his "toe"...uuuggghhh....whenever I see a skins jersey w/his name..I want to puke:puke: ..

HTTR!!

Jay Schroeder a bigger jerk than Deion Sanders or Jeff George or Bruce Smith or Sean Taylor or Lavar Arrington? Probably not.

Sean Taylor is not a jerk. Find me ONE teammate that dislikes Taylor. Just because he went after the dude who stole his ATVs doesnt make him a jerk.

Spurrier didn't actually play, but he was by far the biggest jerk this team has ever seen. The other guys may have shown their colors and personalities by trying to inject themselves into a game for personal (or whatever) reasons, but Spurrier quit this team 2/3rds into his last season and did not have the decency step down. He didn't know his own players names, made 0 effort to adjust to the NFL game, and basically cared nothing for the team he led whatsoever. Eff the ****.

Archived