Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Americans To Be Tortured For Refusing To Show ID?

MonkeySkin

UCLA is handling it pretty well. They are having an independent investigation rather than an internal one from the UCPD. This almost guarantees the cops will be fired. Here is the article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-taser18nov18,0,4080498.story?coll=la-home-headlines

I hope the cops aren't fired. That would be a tragedy of justice.

I wouldn't necessarily go THAT far, Riggo, but I will say that anyone with an arab sounding name should realize they're likely to be the target of additional scrutiny from security and police officers for that reason.

that would only give more reasons to kill americans in iraq

I hope the cops aren't fired. That would be a tragedy of justice.

Based on what? They broke the law. End of story. They should be prosecuted as well. They are University police. They typically protect students from outsiders and break up fraternity parties. They have cushy jobs and rarely see action. They took it way too far.

The University will distance themselves so fast and throw them under the bus in a second, not that they aren't deserving. There is zero motivation to take the side of the cops on this one. It can only outrage almuni/ research companies that donate money.

The laughable part is that the tasing of the student may be justified by their policies, but the threats to tase the bystanders will likely get them fired/prosecuted.

Based on what? They broke the law. End of story. They should be prosecuted as well. They are University police. They typically protect students from outsiders and break up fraternity parties. They have cushy jobs and rarely see action. They took it way too far.

The University will distance themselves so fast and throw them under the bus in a second, not that they aren't deserving. There is zero motivation to take the side of the cops on this one. It can only outrage almuni/ research companies that donate money.

The laughable part is that the tasing of the student may be justified by their policies, but the threats to tase the bystanders will likely get them fired/prosecuted.

exactly. even if the policy allowed the tasing of the student (which was WAY overused,) you can't escape the threats of tasing other students for asking for badge numbers.

They asked for the students ID, he didn't comply. They asked the student to leave, he didn't comply.

that would only give more reasons to kill americans in iraq

I'm not sure how you correlate those two items. Care to enlighten me on exactly how law enforcement officers in the US being extra careful of people whose names and appearances correlate with the regional backgrounds of nearly every terrorist to have attacked the US in the past decades is going to cause more deaths to American soldiers in Iraq.

As I understand it, the other students were taunting officers trying to do their job.

asking for a badge number is now considered taunting? ok. i'll be sure and bring a gun with me anywhere i go, that way if i ask for a badge number and the cop decides to pull his weapon on me, i'll have a shot at surviving. :rolleyes:

They asked for the students ID, he didn't comply. They asked the student to leave, he didn't comply.

They had him hand cuffed on the ground. The taser can stun him from 5 to 15 minutes and make it impossible for him to stand up, yet that is what they demanded and tazed him 3 or 4 times when he was cuffed on the ground not resisting. Beyond that, the threats to the other students alone is enough to get them fired or prosecuted.

I wouldn't necessarily go THAT far, Riggo, but I will say that anyone with an arab sounding name should realize they're likely to be the target of additional scrutiny from security and police officers for that reason.

Now, wait just a minute! The majority of the crime in my area is commited by middle aged white males of European descent, does this mean that I should assume that cops will necessarily focus on me as a criminal and scrutinize me more closely because of my race? Please, that's pure racism, you of all people hold the Constitution, Declaration of Independance, and the Bill of Rights up in America yet you are presuming that Arabic males living in this country should not be afforded the same luxury of "innocent until proven guilty" and "just cause" that the rest of us receive. Come on, get some consistency.

I read it from the article...the students were asking for their badge numbers while they were trying to do their job of removing an insubordinate student from the library. To me that's taunting.

Your right riggo, they were interferring, they were attempting to defend the rights of a student who was being abused by the police and I applaud them for it, I'm glad those students had the brass to stand face to face with those jerks.

Your right riggo, they were interferring, they were attempting to defend the rights of a student who was being abused by the police and I applaud them for it, I'm glad those students had the brass to stand face to face with those jerks.

Nobody is holding the student accountable for not showing his ID and then not getting the hell out of the library when asked? The tazer wouldn't have been used if the student had simply complied with what the police asked.

Nobody is holding the student accountable for not showing his ID and then not getting the hell out of the library when asked? The tazer wouldn't have been used if the student had simply complied with what the police asked.

we acknowledge that he was wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that the officers used excesive force. if someone punches you one time then stops, does this give you the right to pull out a gun and shoot them in the face?

Listen to the video, he said repeatedly that he was leaving, they simply did not give him time to recover after they tazered him. I wonder how spry any of us would feel after getting shocked with 50,000 volts, something tells me that you might want a couple seconds to clear your head. What's more is that at the end of the day we simply have ask ourselves, was all this warranted because a stupid kid didn't show his ID? I mean really? It's not like he was being combative, he didn't strike an officer, he didn't have a weapon, and he said repeatedly that he WAS leaving, yet over and over they shocked him, all for what an ID............the police simply lost perspective and over reacted, repeatedly and then made matters worse by threatening physical violence against those requesting their ID numbers.

Now, wait just a minute! The majority of the crime in my area is commited by middle aged white males of European descent, does this mean that I should assume that cops will necessarily focus on me as a criminal and scrutinize me more closely because of my race? Please, that's pure racism, you of all people hold the Constitution, Declaration of Independance, and the Bill of Rights up in America yet you are presuming that Arabic males living in this country should not be afforded the same luxury of "innocent until proven guilty" and "just cause" that the rest of us receive. Come on, get some consistency.

Asbury, if I were a police officer in your area, then YES the middle aged white males who were acting in a suspicious manner WOULD get extra focus from me. This ridiculous idea that looking at the REAL-LIFE statistics of who commits crime in an area and paying extra attention (notice I didn't say EXCLUSIVE attention) to those people is discrimination boggles my mind. What we're talking about is BASIC POLICEWORK folks.

I really think that there is a difference between racial profiling and good, solid policework. Looking at who commits crimes in a specific area and of a specific type and determining a profile for THE MOST LIKELY (not the only) person to be watching out for is just good, solid policework. Having a victim say "I was assaulted by a 5'10" white guy" and arresting a 5'1" middle eastern woman for the crime could be profiling, and definitely would be an issue in my mind.

I'm not talking about patting down every middle eastern looking person who walks down the street any more than I'm talking about pulling over every automobile with asian or african american passengers that is blaring rap music out the windows. However, if you're a middle-eastern looking male carrying a bag with a one-way ticket in an airport, you should realize you're going to get some extra scrutiny. Why? Is it because airport security is a bunch of racist, anti-muslim, bigots. No. It's because that person fits the description of the majority of people who have hijacked or blown up planes over the years. The 85 yeasr old asian grandmother right in front of him DOESN'T match that description, so there's no reason to check her out as extensively unless there's some other issue... like not showing ID, or a bunch of wires sticking out of her carry-on bag.

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend the difference between good police work and racial prejudice?

Yeah but the jerk kid who wouldn't show his id...he is some kind of hero to you? WOW.

Yeah but the jerk kid who wouldn't show his id...he is some kind of hero to you? WOW.

where the HELL did you get that notion? in the quote above you're post, he never mentioned that student. he applauded the students who were asking for badge numbers.

kinda ironic how when one person refuses to give ID, he's tased several times. when someone asks the officers for their ID, they're threatend to get tased. can you say double-standard?

where the HELL did you get that notion? in the quote above you're post, he never mentioned that student. he applauded the students who were asking for badge numbers.

kinda ironic how when one person refuses to give ID, he's tased several times. when someone asks the officers for their ID, they're threatend to get tased. can you say double-standard?

Listen, when your trying to detain someone, it is of utmost importance to maintain your surroundings...those situations can easily turn ugly...that was not the time to give out badge numbers...that was the time to keep others from getting into the incident.

Listen, when your trying to detain someone, it is of utmost importance to maintain your surroundings...those situations can easily turn ugly...that was not the time to give out badge numbers...that was the time to keep others from getting into the incident.

Watch the video. The incident was over. The kid was outside in custody with other cops. Another cop inside the library made that threat holding a taser before he left the scene. When exactly where they were suppose to ask for badge numbers? Even if that wasn't the time, the cop should have responded that "I will provide you my badge number as soon as the situation calms down". That's not what happened. A threat of force by a cop is illegal when being asked for badge number in California, the officers should be charged with assault.

Archived