Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wake up Joe!!!...TJ is your back!!!

scottlo34

Portis has not been healthy all year. I assumed everyone knew that and could see it in his performance contrasted with the last two years. A healthy CP is an elite running back, as well as a personality spark plug that helps drive the whole team.

I don't think we'll be trading that man anytime soon.

we shall burn you at the stake, effective immediately. turn in your jersey and B&G paint, your are off the team. leave your balls at the door to be crushed and stepped on.

if you are a fan, and a female, then you should be in love with cpo.

if you are a male, you should have an unhealthy amount of manlove for cpo. he is a baller, and i hope he is here forever.

additionally, say what you want about portis.......his specialty is outside running.....gibbs is an inside guy, always has been. this being said, quit pushing him up the gut, and exploit his strength. JG hasnt learned yet that todays league requires you to adapt to players strengths, and not them to your preference. he will grasp that shortly, and when that moment comes, we will be unstoppable.

What if you're gay? Can you be in love with Clinton Portis if you're a gay? :D

I don't get why Gibbs has not realized yet that TJ Duckett is a proto-typical Joe Gibbs back. Yes, Portis is good and Portis is a gamer, and Portis has speed. However, I believe it was Riggins in '82....Riggins again in '83 even though we lost the big game, we still got to Tampa.....it was Rogers in '87 along with a magical day by Smith in SD...and it was Byner/Riggs in '91. I mean how difficult is ti to see that Duckett should be the starter for Gibbs satrting this week and on into '07 with Betts complimenting him. I like Portis also, but let's face it. Portis has been dinged up all year, and we need some draft picks. Blast me if you want, but trade Portis, package some draft picks for him and let TJ rumble bumble and stumble in '07!!!!

come on dont come down on old man gibbs. it took him 9 weeks to make the change at qb. do you actually think he is watching film or practice. he closes his eyes during the game.

a lot of Duckett haters in here if you ask me....

I agree that CP is the man...and is the man for the future at RB for the 'Skins

But Duckett will be here for only the next 7 weeks and then as a FA will be GONE!

Don't take your hate of the front office for making this move out on Duckett...a guy that has only done what he is asked his whole career...and been a class act the entire time.

Let's see what he can do when given...a chance!

He is finally getting reps in practice and will finally play football...and I guarantee you...he will impress.

we shall burn you at the stake, effective immediately. turn in your jersey and B&G paint, your are off the team. leave your balls at the door to be crushed and stepped on.

if you are a fan, and a female, then you should be in love with cpo.

if you are a male, you should have an unhealthy amount of manlove for cpo. he is a baller, and i hope he is here forever.

additionally, say what you want about portis.......his specialty is outside running.....gibbs is an inside guy, always has been. this being said, quit pushing him up the gut, and exploit his strength. JG hasnt learned yet that todays league requires you to adapt to players strengths, and not them to your preference. he will grasp that shortly, and when that moment comes, we will be unstoppable.

well put :applause:

Maybe these so called fans dont know this about CP, but check his stats he has one of the greatest starts history for a RB:D

and he brole the Skins single rushing record in just his second year

he is a top 5 back in the NFL .

Duckett is better than Betts. Portis stays. I'd like to see them get rid of Betts over Duckett, but Portis is what the offense is base around. I've said this before but Portis/Duckett could be similar to Parker/Bettis last season.

I have this same discussion going in another thread. If you don't have Betts or somebody similar, you have weakened the team on 3rd down and 3 or more. These are very important downs that you have to convert to keep the O on the field.

Bettis is an HOF. Duckett has never even been a #1 back.

I have this same discussion going in another thread. If you don't have Betts or somebody similar, you have weakened the team on 3rd down and 3 or more. These are very important downs that you have to convert to keep the O on the field.

Bettis is an HOF. Duckett has never even been a #1 back.

Duckett was the #1 back in Atlanta 8 or 9 times...not to mention a game where he rushed for 4TD's agianst Oakland.

8 or 9 times (is that 8 or 9 games). That doesn't make you a #1 back. By that standard Rock would be a #1 back because there were some games he started. Atlanta wanted him to be the main ball carrier. You don't draft a guy in the 1st round if you don't think he can be the starter. He could never take the job from Dunn so he was always #2. This preseason he got out played by a rookie, which is why they traded. I'm sure all of this must be above somewhere.

Beyond that, my point is that this is not a fantasy team. You have to think of how you construct the team and does it make sense. Betts plays an important role on this team, and Duckett absolutely can not play that role. MAYBE Portis can, but I have to assume since the coaches continue to use Betts as the RB out the back field that he is better at it than Portis so once Betts leaves (because he is gone if Portis stays, and I'm NOT arguing that Portis should be traded), you better have a plan for who is going to take his place as the back catching balls. If you can't convert 3rd downs because you don't have back that can catch the ball, your team is really going to struggle.

wow...the statment I was responding was that Duckett had NEVER been a #1 back.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say...but I seem to think you are saying that Betts is a better fit in this offense than CP????? huh?

Also, Atlanta traded Duckett away b/c he was in the last year of his contract and Washington was dumb enough to give away a 3rd round pick to Denver..so ATL got another WR in Lelie for the year (due to the injury of Brian Finneran).....not bad considering they would have lost TJ in FA this summer...just as the Redskins will.

wow...the statment I was responding was that Duckett had NEVER been a #1 back.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say...but I seem to think you are saying that Betts is a better fit in this offense than CP????? huh?

Also, Atlanta traded Duckett away b/c he was in the last year of his contract and Washington was dumb enough to give away a 3rd round pick to Denver..so ATL got another WR in Lelie for the year (due to the injury of Brian Finneran).....not bad considering they would have lost TJ in FA this summer...just as the Redskins will.

I think Betts does somethings well that are a weakness for CP (being a receiver out of the backfield). I don't think Betts is a better back. Some people here are talking about trading CP. I am NOT.

The Falcons were unhappy with TJ, and I guess there were some issues with his work habits so they drafted a young guy. They liked the way the young guy was developing in training camp so that made TJ expendable:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/previews/2006/falcons.htm

Duckett has never been a #1 back. He has started when Dunn was injured, that is the definition of a #2 back. He was being demoted to #3 before the trade. He came here and is the #3 back.

Most importantly Betts fullfills an important role that must be filled on a good team that Duckett can NOT fill. When Betts leaves, his role must be filled.

. JG hasnt learned yet that todays league requires you to adapt to players strengths, and not them to your preference. he will grasp that shortly, and when that moment comes, we will be unstoppable.
This appears to be COMPLETELY TRUE, but how in the bloody Hell can it be??????:mad:

Look, I like TJ alot, but you guys that are making him out to be the next "Gibbs Back" (Whatever the **** that means) are setting yourselves up to be dissapointed.

TJ does not have the natural vision needed to be a full time back in the NFL (much like Betts) so stop waiting for something that won't happen.

TJ is a top of the line change of pace/Short yardage back. That is it.

Yes he is pretty damn fast once he gets a head of steam up, but his burst is inconsistant and his agility to cut (or quickness) is very, very low.

I don't get the obsession with Duckett. Last season he barely avergaed 3 yards per carry.

Fans around here are obsessed with unknown guys. So many people are ready to put Duckett and Campbell in the HOF, but they have never done anything for us. Why?

You realize TJ was hurt all last year right? And that was by far his worst year. Either way, yeah. You would rather be cheering for Mark Brunell huh?

I don't get the obsession with Duckett. Last season he barely avergaed 3 yards per carry.

Fans around here are obsessed with unknown guys. So many people are ready to put Duckett and Campbell in the HOF, but they have never done anything for us. Why?

Maybe because the alternatives are MB ('nuff said) and Rock (a great ST teams player . ).....? And I don't hear ANYONE trying to put them in the HOF, just trying to put them ON THE FIELD.

Geez guys. Way to miss my point. I didn't say anything about Mark Brunell, get over it already.

All I said was that Campbell and Duckett are UNKNOWNS. People who expect great things from unknown guys are engaging in a little thing called WISHFUL THINKING. I HOPE these guys prove to be good, but I see no reason to EXPECT that they will, as many fans on here do.

Duckett had a lousy year last year. Why do you think the Falcons got rid of him? Campbell has never taken a snap in the NFL. I have high hopes for both guys because Joe Gibbs sees something in them, but I will not be so foolish as to assume that they will be great.

Geez guys. Way to miss my point. I didn't say anything about Mark Brunell, get over it already.

All I said was that Campbell and Duckett are UNKNOWNS. People who expect greatthings from unknown guys are engaging in a little thing called WISHFUL THINKING. I HOPE these guys prove to be good, but I see no reason to EXPECT that they will, as many fans on here do.

Duckett is much less of an unknown than Ladell. Duckett was the starter for 10 games and averaged 4.9 ypc.

Ladell has never been healthy for 10 straight games in his career as a backup.

Duckett is much less of an unknown than Ladell. Duckett was the starter for 10 games and averaged 4.9 ypc.

Ladell has never been healthy for 10 straight games in his career as a backup.

First off, you have committed a factual error. The season Duckett started 10 games was 2003, and he only averaged 4.0 yards a carry that year. He did average 4.9 yards a carry in 2004, but he didn't start a single game then.

Regardless, he has never had over 200 attempts in a season, that is why I called him an unknown. Any predictions about how he would perform as a full time starter are purely speculative. That is my point. Whereas, Portis is a proven starter. The thread starter was advocating trading Portis and making Duckett the starter, which is beyond silly.

Secondly, I always thought Ladell Betts was overrated too.

I don't get why Gibbs has not realized yet that TJ Duckett is a proto-typical Joe Gibbs back. Yes, Portis is good and Portis is a gamer, and Portis has speed. However, I believe it was Riggins in '82....Riggins again in '83 even though we lost the big game, we still got to Tampa.....it was Rogers in '87 along with a magical day by Smith in SD...and it was Byner/Riggs in '91. I mean how difficult is ti to see that Duckett should be the starter for Gibbs satrting this week and on into '07 with Betts complimenting him. I like Portis also, but let's face it. Portis has been dinged up all year, and we need some draft picks. Blast me if you want, but trade Portis, package some draft picks for him and let TJ rumble bumble and stumble in '07!!!!

Also, to add to this in an interview with Riggins, Beathard said that when he was with Atlanta as a consultant he said when he saw Duckett that was the closet player that reminded him of Riggins and said he was a great talent. That's why they picked him with their first pick because Beathard was enamoured with his talent, size and speed.

Yes, for Gods sakes keep CP, he may well be the only RB we've ever had who can turn a game around in 1 play. A 'gamer" if you will. That said...

Yes catching passes out of the backfield is very important in a 3rd down back

-converting 3rd and shorts and goalline is very important in a 3rd down back

TJ may or may not be a good receiver

LB definitely is NOT a goalline back

ADVANTAGE TJ

Excellent post and great thoughts by everyone. No I dont agree that we should trade Portis because he IS a franchise back. However, in leu (sp?) of how our front office tosses away draft picks we should consider some players on the team that would make GOOD trade bait. Anyone have ideas for THAT?

I don't think we have too many players that other teams want. Obviously we can't unload Arch because of contract and he lost his starting job. his stock went down faster than my ex drunk at a bar. We could trade Moss, but that's be retarded. that guy can ball. We can't trade portis because he's just too damn good. What about Chris Samuels? or Jon jansen? they are both damn good players and they HAVE to be worst AT LEAST a 1st rounder. The problem is we don't have any depth so we can't really do that. I guess we could part with ONE of them but that would put Campbell at a disadvantage. What about... Carlos Rogers? His stock worth anything? What about Ladell Betts? What about TJ Duckett after the season? We have to co coup some picks!

Archived