Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Merged x115 Adventures Of The Fashion Police Weekly aka THE Uniform Thread

RSkinsFan

So very wrong indeed. From what I've read and heard, he was totally trying to make us like the Pack, but he wouldn't admit it. I mean, you go from Burgundy helmets to gold/yellow and the pants go from gold to Championship gold (if that really exists). Yeah, he was trying to be Green Bay south.

If you compare the "Lombardi" Redskins pants and jerseys to the Packers, you'll see the stripe scheme on both is identical. The only difference is the Packers had dark green bordering the white stripes and the Redskins had burgundy borders.

Nevertheless, I've always felt that that jersey and pants combo, carried on by George Allen, nixed by Pardee in '78 in favor of the current scheme, is the best looking we've ever had.

Cool. I guess there will be some sort of patch to go on the uniform as well. I like those uniforms, but I also liked the 70th anniversary uniforms as well. The real problem from my perspective is I want to get those uniforms, but it sucks because you know that next year, some of these players may not be around.

So very wrong indeed. From what I've read and heard, he was totally trying to make us like the Pack, but he wouldn't admit it. I mean, you go from Burgundy helmets to gold/yellow and the pants go from gold to Championship gold (if that really exists). Yeah, he was trying to be Green Bay south.

You young whipper-snappers have to understand the Redskins of the 50s & 60s were really really bad teams. Add the Cardinals to the Lions and that would be just half as bad as the Redskins were. The Redskins defense then consisted of Sam Huff and ten other guys.

Vince Lombardi turned the Packers, who were a really really bad team, into a power-house. The Redskins hired Lombardi to make them Packer-like, inside and out. Fans WANTED the Redskins to be like the Packers. They wanted Packer players on the team. They wanted to LOOK like the Packers. At the time, the circle R helmet was well received. Lombardi put the team on the right track before he died.

I think a throwback helmet should use one of the Indian-heritage logoes. Why pass up a chance to offend the anti-redskins crowd?

You young whipper-snappers have to understand the Redskins of the 50s & 60s were really really bad teams. Add the Cardinals to the Lions and that would be just half as bad as the Redskins were. The Redskins defense then consisted of Sam Huff and ten other guys.

Vince Lombardi turned the Packers, who were a really really bad team, into a power-house. The Redskins hired Lombardi to make them Packer-like, inside and out. Fans WANTED the Redskins to be like the Packers. They wanted Packer players on the team. They wanted to LOOK like the Packers. At the time, the circle R helmet was well received. Lombardi put the team on the right track before he died.

I think a throwback helmet should use one of the Indian-heritage logos. Why pass up a chance to offend the anti-redskins crowd?

Your almost right about the Redskins being bad in the 60's. They traded Norm Snead to the Fecals for Sonny Jurgensen, got Bobby Mitchell in a trade with the Browns, got Charlie Taylor and Jerry Smith. They were an explosive offense in the air. They had great pass protection on the line but their ground game was mediocre at best. This team was known for it's quick scoring offense but it had no defense what so ever.

They brought Sam Huff here in a trade with the Giants back in 67 (?). He played 2 years and retired because the front offense kept drafting and trading for offensive players and ignoring his pleas to go after defensive talent. When Lombardi signed on with the Redskins, Sam came out of retirement and signed on as a player/coach. Lombardi drafted Larry Brown, restored the defense and the Redskins finished in 2nd place in the NFC East in Lombardi's first year.

Lombardi made the changes to the uni's as you stated. George Allen came and changed the helmet from gold w/R logo to the current style we have today. Our current style of uni's was instituted in Joe Gibbs first year here.

Damn, I can actually remember all of that! lol. Am I getting old or what? Wish they would stay with the Indian head on the helmut. Never did care for the big "R".

:helmet: Keep the helmut as is!

not too shabby but I still don't see why our current unis need any changes.

Current uni's aren't changing (now whether our current unis are the white/burgundy or white/white I have no clue), this is a throwback to commemerate the 75th. It will be used for a few games as the alternate jersey (like what the Bills have done, the Cowboys "star" unis, the Ravens all black unis and San Diego's Power Blues).

Why it's being done? $$$

Alternate jerseys sell, same with the Tees and the hat. I probably buy a throwback jersey this year (If they make a Jansen one). Alot of fans like a little variety now and then (just look how many talk about ANY changes to the uniform in the past year or so). I love the current look (white with the Burgundy or Cardinal Red pants) but to see an alternate look now and then is fine by me.

Current uni's aren't changing (now whether our current unis are the white/burgundy or white/white I have no clue), this is a throwback to commemerate the 75th. It will be used for a few games as the alternate jersey (like what the Bills have done, the Cowboys "star" unis, the Ravens all black unis and San Diego's Power Blues).

Why it's being done? $$$

Alternate jerseys sell, same with the Tees and the hat. I probably buy a throwback jersey this year (If they make a Jansen one). Alot of fans like a little variety now and then (just look how many talk about ANY changes to the uniform in the past year or so). I love the current look (white with the Burgundy or Cardinal Red pants) but to see an alternate look now and then is fine by me.

My mistake. I thought we were talking about a permanent change in uniforms. :)

Guest NebraSKIN

Yup, yup.... and if you search hard enough, you can find a picture with a glimpse of them in the background. The only thing is that I cannot remember what the post was about . . . . maybe the beach blitz. But not only can I not remember, I am too lazy to go a searching.

Went to the stadium store to speak with the marketing manager about a t-shirt design that a freind and I had come up with. During the conversation I asked, are we doing anything special in regaurds to a 75th ann. uniform this year. I was told absolutley that the uniform was being designed by Reebok and were to resemble the 72-73 superbowl uniforms with the yellow helmet with the script R. I was also told that they would be worn at the home opener agianst the fins!!

Guest NebraSKIN

Ok, I wasn't too lazy.... I remembered that I had saved it to my pictures somewhere. If you want to see it, let me know and I will email it to you.

Shows view of Campbell & Randel El locker......

Whomever took the picture took it on 4/28/07. The photo is entitled "WeekOfApril28046".

Considering the Steelers and Eagles already unveiled their throwbacks. I'm still confused why the Skins haven't yet. We're getting into the summer here. If people want to order an authentic, those take a few weeks if your getting it custom.

Considering the Steelers and Eagles already unveiled their throwbacks. I'm still confused why the Skins haven't yet. We're getting into the summer here. If people want to order an authentic, those take a few weeks if your getting it custom.

Not sure why also, but my understanding they won't be available for purchase until after the third preseason game and they'll only be available in replicas.

I dont like the feather helmet or R as it is but they have possibilities. The "indian" head is a stupid looking comic book "indian". True Indians come from India. (Don't get me started on that subject though... I will go overboard.) I like the spear helmet, though a round shield with crossed spears would be nice (or a raven/eagle/cowboy on a spear would be nice too...lol).

get rid of DRY (Dark Red and Yellow) unis and use burgundy and gold for once.

actually Jack Pardee did in 1979. That was the first year of the white pants and the double stripes on the jersies and pants

Pardee changed the uniforms in 1978, his first year.

Edit: Now I'm not so sure. It could've been 1979, but I can't find anything definitive to know for sure.