Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Propose Offseason Personnel Change

method man

KEEP AN EYE ON TERDELL SANDS of the Raiders. This guys is Sapp's backup in Oakland and does not get to start because there are stars in front of him. Oakland's DLine has been solid anyway. Sands is a classic young mammoth run stuffer who would be an upgrade over Salavea. I think he could beat out Golston and Montgomery for the starting DT spot and we can get him on the cheap.

I have zero clue why McIntosh is not starting. He has shown speed and strength on teams here. Plus he is "super-smart." Gibbs did say we will get to see him more from now on. Maybe Williams is so infatuated with Holdman.

HOldamn and Ricky are about at the same level right now. In the future this should change. Rocky might make aplay here and there that Holdman couldn;t but he will also let a big play happen. You might not have seen that so far but I can gauerntee the coaches have seen that in practice. Give Rocky some time before you declare him the starter/gamebreaker. HE might never be that great. WHo knows?

WE MUST NOT SIGN NATE CLEMENTS. That is a key to this offseason. He will get a massive deal from some club, probably Oakland. He is not as good as advertised anyway from what I've heard. I'd rather get Justin Smith from Cincy for a moderately priced deal.

This isn't an auction. A player doesn't have to go to a team just because they are the highest bidder. Clements has played under Williams and some of the defensive staff before in their career.

If he isn't as good as advertised, then why would he get a big deal like you say? You say you have "heard" he isn't as good as advertised, so if this is true, don't you think every other team in the NFL would know this as well?

As for me, I like the guy. He is a big corner(prototype williams guy) and he has lightning speed(was a finalist in the leagues fastest man challenge). He has been to multiple pro bowls, so he knows how to do something well. I mean, the only reason I keep bringing his name up is because he is almost a sure thing to hit the FA market. Also, I havent gone out and looked at the FA list yet, so I dont know what other types of corners there are out there. But if we do sign a guy, he has to be capable of being a #1 corner(or else we just need to draft leon hall)

HE will most likely get signed by Cinci but it would be a nice addition.

Clements would be a good addition if we could get him for the right price but that will most likely not happen. We need to build through tthe draft but we have no picks. We have three picks next year. ONe will be a good one.

thats why I think for this year, we need to get at least 1 good player through free agency. We are a bad team right now with some holes, and 1 first round pick isn't going to change everything.

after this year though, I think we need to really stockpile our picks(trade down with some of them in the draft and get more picks) and get some more youthful players. I really want us to start drafting more than we are signing players through FA

This isn't an auction. A player doesn't have to go to a team just because they are the highest bidder. Clements has played under Williams and some of the defensive staff before in their career.

If he isn't as good as advertised, then why would he get a big deal like you say? You say you have "heard" he isn't as good as advertised, so if this is true, don't you think every other team in the NFL would know this as well?

As for me, I like the guy. He is a big corner(prototype williams guy) and he has lightning speed(was a finalist in the leagues fastest man challenge). He has been to multiple pro bowls, so he knows how to do something well. I mean, the only reason I keep bringing his name up is because he is almost a sure thing to hit the FA market. Also, I havent gone out and looked at the FA list yet, so I dont know what other types of corners there are out there. But if we do sign a guy, he has to be capable of being a #1 corner(or else we just need to draft leon hall)

FA IS an auction. Except in a few cases, FAs will usually go to the highest bidder. Look at ourselves. We got Randle El and Arch because we outbid Chicago, a better team who these two wanted to play more for, for them.

thats why I think for this year, we need to get at least 1 good player through free agency. We are a bad team right now with some holes, and 1 first round pick isn't going to change everything.

after this year though, I think we need to really stockpile our picks(trade down with some of them in the draft and get more picks) and get some more youthful players. I really want us to start drafting more than we are signing players through FA

Exactly. I am willing to give away 1 day pick max in 2008 in order to get someone in 2007 draft (Brian Leonard). We must start to make FA the step-child and build through the draft after this offseason.

Here is HB Blades's assessment of Brian Leonard:

"He's a very, very underrated player...

he's the best running back I've played against since I've been in college."

(This includes Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, Walter Reyes and Darius Walker)

"That combination of power and speed is amazing.

Some of the runs he makes in the open field, he can cut like a tailback.

He jumps over safeties when they try and cut him,

but then he runs over linebackers and defensive linemen.

His combination of power and speed just makes him the best at what he does."

- Pitt LB H.B. Blades on Brian Leonard

there has to be some kickers out there we can draft. it just doesnt make sense that we are a pro team and cant kick 40 yarders. the other day i saw north carolina central beat elizabeth city state university with a 52 yard field goal.

the elizabeth city state university vikings are sweatin bullets during a field goal yet the philidelphia eagles have no worries. blahhhhh :mad:

-Sign Nate Clements

-Retain Ladell Betts

-Trade down in the draft

-Draft a pass rushing DE with our 1st rounder

-Draft a OL with our next highest pic(whatever it would)

-And depending on cap room, try and extend cooley's and taylors contracts

I agree with most of these ideas, especially going DE with the 1st round pick. This team has to go young at that position. Daniels and Wynn are really getting up there and Carter just stinks. The problem is that this team only has four picks in the upcoming draft and that is why they need a GM.

Guys, I've been reading up on Brian Leonard and I am concluding that he is going to be the best FB of this generation. This guy seems like he will be better than Alstott. He has freakish athleticism. He is a very good receiver out of the backfield. He is a very good runner. He is an excellent blocker. He is a leader. He runs a 4.5. If I were Portis, I would beg Gibbs everyday to draft Leonard even if it means trading our 2nd or 3rd next year.

Hate to ruin the moment but if we did have a top 10 pick we lost it to denver in that trade for T J Ducket and Denvers pick wont look too good with them most likely going to the playoffs

DUde its posted everywhere. We retain our top 10 pick. We traded our 3rd (in terms of draft value).

I think we need to address the Defensive line. It gets very little push and is not disruptive to the qb. In previous years, we were not disruptive, but at least we had bulk and could stop the run. We have been poor at this this year.

LB needs to be upgraded BIG TIME. We have no playmaking ability here (besides Marcus Washington). Safety will remain to be seen. Vincent will get too old and Piroleau will take time to bounce back. I think there are plenty of viable options. As for the rest, I think the components are there. We need to draft for depth and really work on our core talent, which I think is there. QB will be the big piece...let's see how JC progresses. Hopefully he'll pick it up right away. If not, we might have to look to the draft/FA...

Guys, I've been reading up on Brian Leonard and I am concluding that he is going to be the best FB of this generation. This guy seems like he will be better than Alstott. He has freakish athleticism. He is a very good receiver out of the backfield. He is a very good runner. He is an excellent blocker. He is a leader. He runs a 4.5. If I were Portis, I would beg Gibbs everyday to draft Leonard even if it means trading our 2nd or 3rd next year.

We do not need a FB. Period. Reasons why:

(1) Sellers is doing a very good job.

(2) Our offense does not run the ball with the fullback, so your boy's status as a "very good runner" is irrelevant. If I recall, we did not hand the ball off to Sellers even 1 time last season, and this season we have hardly given him any.

(3) We have (supposedly) good, recent draft picks waiting to play at FB. On the practice squad we've got Broughton, for whom we went through a lot of trouble to keep on the roster last year. We've also got a 4th rounder, Manuel White, on IR. He was supposedly dominant in college at UCLA. Finally, we've got Cartwright who began his career as a FB. So that's 3 players we've already got that should fill in for Sellers before we go out and trade the farm for a FB.

I think we should draft Leonard, the guy sounds like a beast and could be a very promising player to eventually replace Sellers.

For TE, I think we can keep Fauria one more year, and then next year draft Haynos from MD. He is 6-8, so he is a huge target for JC when we can finally get him, and he is a sturdy blocker. He will is relatively underated and he should be a good midrounder for a draft 2 years from now.

Dline is and Secondary is what the draft should focus on, however, in either the draft or FA we need to get a MLB as well as some more Oline help.

This should help us to develop into a better team

We do not need a FB. Period. Reasons why:

(1) Sellers is doing a very good job.

(2) Our offense does not run the ball with the fullback, so your boy's status as a "very good runner" is irrelevant. If I recall, we did not hand the ball off to Sellers even 1 time last season, and this season we have hardly given him any.

(3) We have (supposedly) good, recent draft picks waiting to play at FB. On the practice squad we've got Broughton, for whom we went through a lot of trouble to keep on the roster last year. We've also got a 4th rounder, Manuel White, on IR. He was supposedly dominant in college at UCLA. Finally, we've got Cartwright who began his career as a FB. So that's 3 players we've already got that should fill in for Sellers before we go out and trade the farm for a FB.

1. Sellers is aging. Yes, he is only 32 but you must remember this guy has ben playing pro ball since he was 19 because he went to a CC and then the CFL. As I stated earlier, I think he probably has 2 good years left in him.

2. If Saunders loves Betts, he is going to love Leonard even more. Leonard is stronger than Betts and as fast as him. He is as good a receiver as Betts and is a better blocker. He also runs harder than Betts. If we lose Betts to FA and draft Leonard, I am not losing any sleep whatsoever.

3. White and Broughton suck. This organization has given each of them their shots and they are jokes. Leonard is a true baller who has been overshadowed by Ray Rice this season.

First of all, the only thing Alstott is, is the "most overated FB of this generation".

Secondly, this type of mentality is what has gotten the Skins into trouble in recent history. Deciding that they need to get a certain person no matter what it takes. Around draft time, every wanna be GM comes on message boards like this one and screams about doing everything they can to get one guy.

Wow! You're pretty much blowing up the team. I think the personnel change that absolutey, positively, has to be made is to get a REAL GM in the front office. Too many yes-men are muddying up the franchise we, as fans, are suffering because of it. That's where our "road to recovery" starts.

I love the playing GM game.:munchout:

Yeah, no one gets on your case after you screw up the team like Cerrato. Skins are carrying 5 RB/FBs on the active roster + 2 on the practice squad and fans want to use a 2nd round pick on a FB? Are you guys joking?

Instead you want to keep Fauria (done nothing all year). We could have drafted a blocking TE last year. There will be some available in the late rounds in next years draft. Other than an OL project or TE I don't think the Offense much from the draft.

On the other hand, the Defense has a lot of issues. Skins traded picks to get Rocky but he hasn't been able to crack the starting lineup. Lemar Marshall is getting old and was better suited to WLB anyway. The CB group is all screwed up. How much of that is the new coach versus poor scouting? Rogers is having sophmore blues. He plays too soft. Springs has been banged up and is getting old. Skins need a safety that's good in pass protection but Prilieou is also getting old. The DEs (except for Carter) are at the end of their careers. The rookie DTs are promising as backups but don't play as well as a healthy Griffin/Salavea in prior years.

Given the needs on Defense I think we'll see some free agent moves. Hopefully the Skins will trade down from their first round pick (but I doubt it).

Don't look now but,

Gibbs has already traded away next years 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks, so we can expect to not pick until somewhere between 40th to 50th give or take, in the 2nd round, provided that we don't trade that one away as well. Then we can forget about picking until the 5th round begins the second day.

It doesn't look very good as far as the draft goes.

Don't look now but,

Gibbs has already traded away next years 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks, so we can expect to not pick until somewhere between 40th to 50th give or take, in the 2nd round, provided that we don't trade that one away as well. Then we can forget about picking until the 5th round begins the second day.

It doesn't look very good as far as the draft goes.

Actually, we have a first, but no selections in rounds two, three and four. That's why I've been calling for the team to trade down a couple of teams to re-coup the picks we've lost and use the acquired stash to plug holes with young, hungry players we can develop. I just want to know if there will be a Draft Day Party at FedEx Field next April!

Actually, we have a first, but no selections in rounds two, three and four. That's why I've been calling for the team to trade down a couple of teams to re-coup the picks we've lost and use the acquired stash to plug holes with young, hungry players we can develop. I just want to know if there will be a Draft Day Party at FedEx Field next April!

I thought we swapped 2nds and next years 1st to move up and take McIntosh, but I could be mistaken. In fact, I hope I am.

Archived