Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Propose Offseason Personnel Change

method man

Where can we give this guy a contract?

I think we found our new GM!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding, but I like your ideas.

I mean, it really doesn't matter what WE think...but it would be nice to see something similar to what you suggested.

Overall good post, and a good read.

I was thinking the same thing this guy knows the Raiders backups!!!! You need to send this to Redskins park.

Attn Vinny Cerrato

I agree with everything but I think we need to keep big dock he is a monster.

big dock is going to ask for a huge 3 mil/year deal. i mean if he is willing to sign on the cheap like marshall and salavea did last season, then sure. however, his play actually negatively hurts samuels. if we put a competent guard next to samuels, i guarantee you that the "chris samuels for pro bowl" threads will be back next season. the coaching staff needs to take a serious look at molinaro in practice. i think he has the tools to be a decent guard. he is a good fit for saunders's zone blocking offense because he is a quicker, smaller guard. At the very least, let's have a massive training camp battle between Molinaro, Wade, Pucillo, and Walter for that guard spot.

Free agent pickups: NONE

Trades: NONE

Draft: CB, DE, SS

done.

Free agency is not bad. We just need to use it intelligently like we did in 2004. We have to go for guys who produce and don't break the bank like Justin Smith. At the same time, we need to find ourselves bargains like Terdell Sands.

Another bargain FA option is Ethan Kelley, who is Ted Washington's backup in Cleveland. Because Ted is so old, I am thinking that Kelley basically plays over half the game so he has a lot of in-game experience. Plus, he currently plays in the 3-4 in Cleveland so he is used to taking on double teams.

If we cannot get Justin Smith, I say option 2 should be Chris Kelsay, a current Bill who used to play for G Dub and Gray back in Buffalo. He already has 5 sacks this season and no one is talking about him. I bet we can get this guy at a reasonable price. He also gets better with every year.

For those who saw the Giants get dominated tonight, did you notice how Marcus Stroud and John Henderson simply negated anything between the tackles, forcing NY to go around the side where they were out matched by their speedy linebackers?

They shut down Tiki with only 5 and 6 guys all night, meaning they had at least 5 to drop into coverage. Result: Eli is out numbered and Giants go down in flames.

They make defense look so EASY! And it all seemed to stem from the fact that NY could do nothing up the middle. Look at Jacksonville's D... aside from those two NASTY tackles, their D doesn't have any other superstars at all. Ok, so I'd probably trade our two starting corners to have Rashean Mathis, but he's isn't quite a Pro Bowler either.

I think with those 2 defensive tackles, we're 8-2 this year WITH Boonell!

Please draft some diesel tackles and rebuild this D from the trenches!!!

For those who saw the Giants get dominated tonight, did you notice how Marcus Stroud and John Henderson simply negated anything between the tackles, forcing NY to go around the side where they were out matched by their speedy linebackers?

They shut down Tiki with only 5 and 6 guys all night, meaning they had at least 5 to drop into coverage. Result: Eli is out numbered and Giants go down in flames.

They make defense look so EASY! And it all seemed to stem from the fact that NY could do nothing up the middle. Look at Jacksonville's D... aside from those two NASTY tackles, their D doesn't have any other superstars at all. Ok, so I'd probably trade our two starting corners to have Rashean Mathis, but he's isn't quite a Pro Bowler either.

I've been thinking about it and we don't need a star like Alan Branch. We did manage to shut down the run for G Dub's first two years here. I think what we need is a big NT to take on two blockers every down. Salavea is not enough of a threat at NT anymore and this leaves the center to go block blitzing LBs and safeties. A main problem right now is we play Golston next to Griff. Which of these under-300 pound DTs takes on two blockers? Neither of them. I think Golston and Montgomery have the chance to become starters but only in 2-3 years once they further learn the nuances of the position. In the meantime, we need that inexpensive young unsung hero veteran who can do the dirty work inside, freeing up our 2 DEs and Griff for mano e mano battles.

I agree with just about all of that except for Brunell. If we can get rid of him we will have more cap room to do the rest of those things.

Not exactly. Remember that although Brunell signed a 7-year deal, his deal was actually meant to be a 4-year deal. If we keep him one more year, we can cut him with little cap penalty after 2007. Remember that Brunell's problem is that he breaks down late in the season. If he is to come in for 2 games or so to replace an injured Campbell, then he will be effective. Because he is a classy guy, he will also continue to help Jason become a better QB.

method man for GM!!!!

I'd hold off on the "MM for GM" talk just yet. Justin Smith is a first round bust, 6-8 sacks a year type of guy...read Phillip Daniels/R. Wynn part deux. No thanks. Ditto that for Kelsay.

A real pass rushing DE should be our top priority as this is a position that elevates the play of others on the DL as well as the rest of the pass defense. Other than Griff, our DL has NOBODY that can effectively pressure the passer on a consistent basis. Getting a real stud DE that will require opposing offenses to gameplan around will make the rest of the DL that much better. How effective do you think Carter would be at LDE (as a situational player on passing downs) and Griff at DT if they consistently got singled up because of attention paid to someone like a Gaines Adams at RDE?

That in turn would go a long ways towards covering up for our poor play in the defensive backfield. Don't believe me? Take a look at Chump Bailey. We always groused here that he was decent in coverage but never got many picks. Since going to Denver he has looked dramatically better in this department. The difference? He has a DL that can pressure the passer in Denver.

Riggo #44 has it right. We don't need a wholesale housecleaning. Rather, the team needs some help at a few critical positions in order to become competitive again. After that, as with most teams, we'd still need a player or two to get over the hump but we'll cross that river when we get to it. First of all though, we need to get pass rush pressure from our front four more than just about anything. Sorry, but Justin Smith just ain't gonna cut it in that department.

And no, teams don't often find these types of guys in the late rounds. For every Aaron Kampman, teams often draft several other busts in the late rounds. Therefore, in order to pursue this strategy we'd need a lot of picks to account for all the busts we'd take and a great talent evaluator to give us the best chance of finding late round gems. In our case, we're short on both.

This is what I'm talking about... d tackles... I think we can live with one stud here and keep going with Grif and Salave'a as a backup... and one of the kids from this year's draft.

If you don't have gaping holes up the middle, then everything getting forced outside without worrying about cutback lanes would allow guys to run to the football, something they aren't doing right now.

It all starts on the defensive line. Pressure on the pass and run up front makes everyone else on the defense more effective. Plus, a strong D-line will help w/ Williams' blitz heavy defenses--right now it seems like every time the 'Skins bring the LBs they get picked up and we get burned for a big pass play. More talent on the line will mean more trouble picking up those blitzes and more pressure on the opponent's passing game.

I'd hold off on the "MM for GM" talk just yet. Justin Smith is a first round bust, 6-8 sacks a year type of guy...read Phillip Daniels/R. Wynn part deux. No thanks. Ditto that for Kelsay.

A real pass rushing DE should be our top priority as this is a position that elevates the play of others on the DL as well as the rest of the pass defense. Other than Griff, our DL has NOBODY that can effectively pressure the passer on a consistent basis. Getting a real stud DE that will require opposing offenses to gameplan around will make the rest of the DL that much better. How effective do you think Carter would be at LDE (as a situational player on passing downs) and Griff at DT if they consistently got singled up because of attention paid to someone like a Gaines Adams at RDE?

That in turn would go a long ways towards covering up for our poor play in the defensive backfield. Don't believe me? Take a look at Chump Bailey. We always groused here that he was decent in coverage but never got many picks. Since going to Denver he has looked dramatically better in this department. The difference? He has a DL that can pressure the passer in Denver.

Riggo #44 has it right. We don't need a wholesale housecleaning. Rather, the team needs some help at a few critical positions in order to become competitive again. After that, as with most teams, we'd still need a player or two to get over the hump but we'll cross that river when we get to it. First of all though, we need to get pass rush pressure from our front four more than just about anything. Sorry, but Justin Smith just ain't gonna cut it in that department.

And no, teams don't often find these types of guys in the late rounds. For every Aaron Kampman, teams often draft several other busts in the late rounds. Therefore, in order to pursue this strategy we'd need a lot of picks to account for all the busts we'd take and a great talent evaluator to give us the best chance of finding late round gems. In our case, we're short on both.

You're contradicting yourself. Name a dominant pass rusher on the Broncos. That's right. No one. How do they get a pass rush then? It's because they have a few solid DEs who may not put up huge sack numbers but have the ability to rush the passer. Yes, Smith is a 6-8 sack a season guy but that is what we need. We need a guy who offenses respect enough that it will free up Carter and Griffin. Smith is not Wynn/Daniels part 2 because he is young and he has put up consistent sack numbers. Daniels was old when we got him and Wynn put up 5 sacks only once before coming here.

I don't understand people's infatuation with Gaines Adams. Do you really want another oversized linebacker who will get destroyed against the run? Smith and Kelsay are good 2-way DEs, something that guys like Adams and Freeney are not.

Finding good late round DEs are not hard to find out. We let guys who were obviously good like Brown and Dumervil get by over the years.

I am so tired of the no talent lame ass clowns that we pick up every offseason so I propose that we cut our problems when it comes to cap and talent. I want to cut our players who aren't performing or can't perform. I want to sign a couple of role players at vet minimum or small contracts. Then sign a bunch of rookie FA's since we only have 4-5 picks. I think those players are just more hungry do you remember Baltimore did this about three years ago when they had all of those cap problems, and now they have all of that young talent that they developed. T

1. This would fix our cap problems for years to come.

2. This would allow our team to have players who aren't spoiled and they work for their roster spot and also their contracts similar to the way the Eagles have been running their franchise. That should be our model to follow.

Terdell Sands

DEFENSE

DT: I like Terdell Sands of the Raiders. He is stuck behind Sapp currently but he is a run stuffer who is so big he will have to be double-teamed.

:laugh: I have a BIG problem with getting this guy. Do we want a guy named Terdell? :laugh: Think about it...Turd-ell. I'm just messing with ya. I could care less if his name is $&*#head as long as he can play. :D

:laugh: I have a BIG problem with getting this guy. Do we want a guy named Terdell? :laugh: Think about it...Turd-ell. I'm just messing with ya. I could care less if his name is $&*#head as long as he can play. :D

Fine. We'll just give him a 6-year 30 million dollar contract instead of the vet minimum if he changes his name to Terell. :silly:

Archived