Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Novak's Field Goal

Rasta

So I have been having a debate on another board with a Boys fan about the length of Novak's FG. He is arguing that the extra 10 yards for the flagrant facemask mean Novak's try would not have been good if it was only a five yarder.

To me it looks like it hits the net ABOVE the wall in the end zone and had plenty of leg to be good from close to 57. Not saying it WOULD have been good from 57 but that it probably wasn't that far off. He is arguing there is no chance it was near that far. If it landed above the wall in the net there is a chance it had an extra 10 yards IMO.

Anyone in the end zone that saw where it landed or have a clear TIVO shot to tell? Any help is appreciated.

Stupid argument but he's an arrogant Boys fan so I had to do it. :D

I really don't think he would have hit it from 5 yards back, it was real close. This makes me kinda uneasy because i think thats probably his max distance.

See that is where I respectfully disagee. From the video linked in the other thread it clearly hits the net which means it had to be 50+. I actually thought that was a good sign.

Well, i dont think the same kick would have come off Novak's foot if it was 10 yards back. He would be trying to put a little extra on it and prob would have shanked it like many of his other kicks this season. Dont think you can argue about a kick that would def be different from 10yds back.

The skins really should draft a kicker at some point, because Novak doesnt appear to be the long term solution, and this part of the game has cost the skins tons of games over the last 5 or so years. A few of those years they were a good kicker away from playoff contention. Does anyone think Novak can be a long term solution?

It would not have made it but he obviously would've kicked it differently from longer distance so no one really knows....just tell that moron that Moss' TD in Dallas last season could've been 99 yards so we had some distance in the bank to spare...and then tell him to go cry on his mommy's shoulder until we see them next season.

So I have been having a debate on another board with a Boys fan about the length of Novak's FG. He is arguing that the extra 10 yards for the flagrant facemask mean Novak's try would not have been good if it was only a five yarder.

To me it looks like it hits the net ABOVE the wall in the end zone and had plenty of leg to be good from close to 57. Not saying it WOULD have been good from 57 but that it probably wasn't that far off. He is arguing there is no chance it was near that far. If it landed above the wall in the net there is a chance it had an extra 10 yards IMO.

Anyone in the end zone that saw where it landed or have a clear TIVO shot to tell? Any help is appreciated.

If you want to get in his head agree with him. "yep, good thing the refs gave us a fifteen yarder, if not you guys probably would have won, sucks for you"

I sit in section 12 right behind that goalpost. That kick was good for another 7-10 yards as it hit the net right in front of me. As it stands, it really doesn't matter what your Dallas friend thinks....the kick was a beautiful sight right before my eyes!!!

haha i sit in section 111 row 3 which is RIGHT BEHIND the goalpost. No chance that kick makes it from 57 yards

I wish I could help you on this one, but there's no way Novak hits a 57-yarder to win the game. I don't think the kick was long enough to make it. The better argument is that the right call was made on the field. Cowgirls fans love to make nonsensical arguments about calls that go against them. But they're talking more out of frustration than logic. Just tell him that pulling on someone's facemask is 15 yards no matter what part of the field or what part of the game it happens.

Dallas had the benefit of so many calls it was embarrassing. Multiple holds. Flagrant interference penalties. I'm surprised the officials actually enforced the rule on the Taylor facemask, which was clear. Had they not, Novak would have missed the kick. I was right along the end zone -- upper deck -- and the ball didn't have a lot of extra length.

Still had Cooley caught the two balls he dropped, maybe Romo sits to pee falls down trying to scramble........blah, blah, blah. Most games have two teams that miss opportunities to beat the other team. We did. They did. How it goes.

Dallas had the benefit of so many calls it was embarrassing. Multiple holds. Flagrant interference penalties. I'm surprised the officials actually enforced the rule on the Taylor facemask, which was clear. Had they not, Novak would have missed the kick. I was right along the end zone -- upper deck -- and the ball didn't have a lot of extra length.

Still had Cooley caught the two balls he dropped, maybe Romo sits to pee falls down trying to scramble........blah, blah, blah. Most games have two teams that miss opportunities to beat the other team. We did. They did. How it goes.

Most teams also only play one team at a time; we play whatever team is on the schedule along with the Zebras every week.

The skins really should draft a kicker at some point, because Novak doesnt appear to be the long term solution, and this part of the game has cost the skins tons of games over the last 5 or so years. A few of those years they were a good kicker away from playoff contention. Does anyone think Novak can be a long term solution?

COULD he be? Sure. Its too early to tell. I look for him to improve from here on out. We should certainly know by January. Im crossing my fingers.

Novak has missed some kicks but he has won us some games too. Even so i think we definitely need a new kicker whether by draft or free agency. Free agency you kind of know what your getting a little better, sometimes rookies really struggle. We missed out on Vinatierri, Vandercrap, and Todd Peterson, and Gould for Chicago sure has done a good job as a rookie.

1) The Kick Wou have probably been 4-5 yards short. 57 yards is a pretty damn long field goal.

2) If Sean Taylor cuts to the outside on his last move and not to the inside he takes it in for six.

3) If the kick was a 46 yarder he would have missed it wide right.

The fact of the matter is that we won the game. ALL Cowboys fans use this tactic as a defense mechanism. They deal in hypotheticals becuase they cannot except the fact that their team lost. They also make more excuses for losses as well.

After the first game last year, "We dominated you for 56 minutes and you guys got lucky."

After the second game, "14 out of 16, once you get there talk to me."

This week, "It shouldn't have been a 15 yard penalty and if TO catches the ball the game would have been ours."

Cowboys fans can't take their losses, they have to try to make excuses. The reason for this is because they refuse to accept that their team has lost to the Redskins 3 out of 4 times in two years.

Archived