Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jansen- Not even Close!

mcgraw238

Oct. 23, 2002

Redskins not close to new deal with Jansen

Redskins right tackle Jon Jansen isn't as close to getting a contract extension as the Redskins are hoping. The Redskins hope to sign him to a six-year, $24 million contract that includes a $5.5 million signing bonus. Jansen believes he can top Jon Runyan's six-year, $30 million contract in free agency after the season and become the league's highest paid right tackle. Negotiations between the Redskins and Jansen will continue.

===============

This is contrary to reports that Jansen didn't want to be the highest paid RT and was seeking a fair deal. He is probably right in his belief that he can become the highest paid RT. Question is whether we want to be the team shelling out the $$$$$$.

I'm starting to wonder if Jansen really wants to come back. His comment about a stable, "winning franchise" seems to describe the polar opposite of the Skins since he's been here. Perhaps he's thinking of testing free agency to see if he can go somewhere else more attractive to him.

Jansen has been basically run out of town. He wants stability, and like Brave said, we are most definitely not a stable organization. If he wants to leave town and he can get paid more for it, why not? I hope we can work something out, but if not, best of luck Jon.

Consider the followingn excerpt from this morning's Times article:

...The offer has a $4.1million average annual value but more realistically would pay Jansen about $11million over the first three years. It includes a $5.5million signing bonus that is spread over three years for salary cap purposes. He would receive $1million up front but could miss out on later bonus payments if he is cut before March1 (in other words, if he suffers a career-altering injury before the end of this season)...

Putting aside team loyalty for the moment the prime economic motivation for Jansen to sign prior to free agency is to protect himself and his family in the event that he suffers a serious injury during the season. As the quote above makes abundantly clear the only injury protection we're offering is the $1mil. portion of his $5.5 mil. total signingn bonus that he will receive immediately.

Now $1million may be alot to you and me but to a player of Jansen's status, who is just a few months away from being the top available RT in free agency, it isn't much at all.

If I were Jansen I wouldn't sign this contract either. I'd instead make a counter offer in which I'd receive a higher immediate signing bonus without appreciably increasing the total payout over the life of the agreement.

Yep... that's the one...I'll call it a mistake if he signs with somebody else...... and there is nobody signed to replace him of equal or better talent. OH... and agreed BCS. Wouldn't be surprised to see just that happen. Tis the world of business negotiations.

JUST GIVE HIM THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, doesn't musical chairs on the offensive line tell these people anything?

Memo to Snyder, Mendes and anybody else involved:

It's time to keep our homegrown talent. Let him walk, sign with another competitor and try to replace him with the leftover dregs from around the NFL. See how well it works today.

we found the money to pay Deion Sanders ($8 million) and Trotter ($7 million) top of the line salaries for guys at their positions but seem unable to close the deal with our own players such as Davis and Jansen.

as I indicated on another post, this front office undervalues players that are already wearing the Redskins uniform, with the clear exception of Darrell Green.

either that or these players don't necessarily want to continue playing HERE unless they get a premium to stay.

and if that is the case what does that say about the organization?

JKC was popular as an owner because he paid his players top dollar, but usually those players were ones that had proven something IN a Redskins uniform.

In unusual cases the Skins went out and acquired a Wilber Marshall or Jim Lachey who came in with big salaries, but for the most part this was a blue collar team where guys hung together and got paid because they won.

Now, we are paying guys a lot of money for what they have done elsewhere and yet except in the rare case of a Ken Harvey, these players don't ever seem to match that performance HERE.

I think if there was ever a reason to open up the purse strings a little bit here it is. Not as flashy as Dieon, not as well know as a Bruce Smith, he just plays football EVERY week and can always be counted on and isone of the nicest guys I meet in camp(ok, I have no idea why that would get him some money, buit...) Darn it Dan sign this guy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Jansen is having a rough year, but we have seen that he can be very good. Are we willing to let someone go, only to have to fill yet another hole with a free agent or draft pick? Anyone of Jansen's caliber will cost us more than we are going to want to spend I'm sure. Given our history of "solutions" for the OL, I don't want to think about going that route.

Let's not all start kicking over chiars just yet.

First of all, however much we love Jansen, he's NOT the best RT in the league, and we shouldn't pay him like he is.

Secondly, this team HAS ponied up for it's home-grown talent in the past. Didn't we re-sign Stephen Davis the same year we signed Deion Sanders? Haven't we extended Champ's contract once? The thing to remember here is that until very recently, we just haven't HAD much in the way of home-grown talent. I would have liked us to re-sign Raymer, but I can't think of any other draft picks that were really worth keeping. That's a draft problem (much of which was Casserly) and not a over-paying for FA problem.

Trotter is 25 and a two-time Pro Bowler and generally considered among the top players at his position. Jansen is a fine young player and I like him a lot, but, he doesn't have the pedigree of being one of the finest players at his position. He's a VERY, VERY good player and we should make every reasonable effort to sign him.

But, we aren't going to break the bank on this guy like we would for a guy like Trotter. The contract has to fit BOTH sides goals here. You don't pay Jansen like Trotter, because he's never been as good as Trotter. If you do pay him that way, you are overpaying him and that's fine, but you need to be aware that you are going to lose someone because of it.

Archived