Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glazer reporting Nate Clements is on trade block...could 'Skins be interested?

wilbur58z

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6064244

How could they not be considering what's going on right now?

Rogers just broke his thumb and has been underwhelming to begin with. He seems to be an injury prone player considering what happened with him last year. He does not seem to be someone you can rely on.

Springs is 31 years old and also injury prone. Can you rely on him? I have my doubts.

You have to think the Redskins would consider trading for Clements, one of the best corners in the league, before the trade deadline, especially considering he already knows the defense having played under Williams and Gray in Buffalo.

Because, let's face it, they are in a dire situation in the secondary right now.

They could probably have him in exchange for their 2006 1st rounder, sort of like Seattle did for Deion Branch. They don't have any other high 2006 picks to offer. I don't see anyone outbidding them if they do that.

But they need a proven CB badly IMO. Not just for this year, but also the next 2 or 3 years.

Clements is a proven commodity in this defense. The Redskins need a sure thing over there right now.

I don't think they can take a chance in the draft again on a CB after what's happened with Rogers. And Clements is the only #1 CB on the free agent market after this year. The Redskins could just trade for him and lock him up before he hits the market.

This whole defense is predicated on good corner play. I don't see them improving until they get a proven CB they can rely on to lock receivers down.

at what point do you stop mortgaging your future in the faint hopes of reviving a 2-4 team that could easily be 2-6 even with Clements on board?

the last thing I want to see here is a repeat of 1978 when George Allen left town and the incoming GM Bobby Beathard didn't have a pick before the 6th round.

let's face it. this team is not a Super Bowl contender for 2006.

let's not ruin our team for 2007, 2008 or 2009 to try and rescue what now looks to be at best an 8-8 or 9-7 record.

Throw everything we have to get him (aside from portis, moss, taylor, and our 1st rounder).

Bulldog- this move would not be for the saving of this year. In fact, I don't think there's anything we could do to save this team this season, even with a fantasy draft. But, I'd like him on this team next year, when we have campbell at QB and have solved some of our other issues in the offseason.

Wonder what our pass rush had been like had we gone after Ogunleye like we should have in 2004. Or maybe Abraham this year. Or drafted Merriman.

"we needed a CB!" Yeah, we need a pass rushing, play-making D-lineman too. Merriman is beasting out there and we got Carlos Rogers to show for it. :doh

Clements isn't a very good cornerback. He is all hype. I live right outside Buffalo and listen to their 24hour sports talk radio every day for hours (I'm also a Buffalo Sabres fan).

He is getting run out of town in Buffalo (for the last 2 years). The guy doesn't shut receivers down and he has hands of stone (look at his interception totals). He's brutal. And what's worse is... he's REALLY expensive.

Stay away. I'd be FURIOUS if the Skins ever acquired the guy.

Clements isn't a very good cornerback. He is all hype. I live right outside Buffalo and listen to their 24hour sports talk radio every day for hours (I'm also a Buffalo Sabres fan).

He is getting run out of town in Buffalo (for the last 2 years). The guy doesn't shut receivers down and he has hands of stone (look at his interception totals). He's brutal. And what's worse is... he's REALLY expensive.

Sounds like he would really fit in.

Wonder what our pass rush had been like had we gone after Ogunleye like we should have in 2004. Or maybe Abraham this year. Or drafted Merriman.

"we needed a CB!" Yeah, we need a pass rushing, play-making D-lineman too. Merriman is beasting out there and we got Carlos Rogers to show for it. :doh

I remember an ExtremeSkins member by the username Die Hard pining for Abraham for the last 2 years. :)

They aren't going to turn it around with one 1st rounder either, bulldog. The 2007 draft is already lost anyway. They only have that one 1st rounder and that's it for the next three rounds.

I'd much rather use that one pick we have on a player we know can play in this defense at a position we desperately need help at.

And Clements is a guy who'd anchor our secondary for the next 3 or 4 years, not just this year.

I'd rather have him than draft a CB in the bottom half of the 1st round, unsure if the guy will even amount to anything. We can't afford that at CB, which is such an important position in this defense. They need a proven guy there badly.

Going by your description, I expect us to trade whatever picks they have left for him tommorrow, and then sign him to a huge contract.

I remember an ExtremeSkins member by the username Die Hard pining for Abraham for the last 2 years. :)

Truth be told, so long as someone was there to help negotiate the business end, don't you think you could have handled this team better overall since 2004?

I'm serious.

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=30107

The trouble with too many of you guys, is you never do any research. Clements is getting over $ 7 Mil for this season alone. There is no way the Skins can fit him in under their salary cap for this season, even if they wanted him. :doh:

One player is not going to fix this team overnight, which made a lot of free agent signing mistakes this year. :doh:

http://www.nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=30107

The trouble with too many of you guys, is you never do any research. Clements is getting over $ 7 Mil for this season alone. There is no way the Skins can fit him in under their salary cap for this season, even if they wanted him. :doh:

One player is not going to fix this team overnight, which made a lot of free agent signing mistakes this year. :doh:

but you research a punter from alcorn state :laugh:

Truth be told, so long as someone was there to help negotiate the business end, don't you think you could have handled this team better overall since 2004?

I'm serious.

In some aspects sure :) But I'm not so naive.

(1) I wasn't a big fan of the Cornelius Griffin signing admittedly. I'm still torn on that signing.. since I acknowledge he's been a stellar contributor but it's frustrating at how injury-prone he's been.

(2) I really didn't know much about Marcus Washington. However, he's been one of my favorite new additions. Great addition, great contract.

(3) I wasn't a fan of the Shawn Springs signing. He's had a history of injuries... and although he surpassed my expectations in his first season... he's proven he's brittle.

(4) I never would have traded for Brunell. I thought Gibbs should have tried to figure out what he had on the roster (with Ramsey) and decide what he wanted to do then. If Ramsey wasn't ready after 2004... my new franchise QB would have been starting last year.

(5) The Clinton Portis trade OK. I enjoy Portis and what he brings to the table... but he's being totally underutilized. However, I would have taken what the Jets were offering and built the defense. You can get a runningback through free agency any given offseason.

Tell me... we wouldn't be a better team right now with Sean Ellis on our defensive line.... resigned Ryan Clark and then used the money we spent on Archuletta on Edgerrin James this offseason?

Abraham is a solid player but he can't stay healthy. I'm certain our FO took a look at him (don't we look at EVERYONE?) and decided his injury prone nature was to be avoided.

Regardless, we could have taken Merriman instead of Carlos Rogers and we'd at least have one guy who can get to the QB.

how long have i been saying get rid of Vinny :laugh: :laugh:

the sad thing is Joe has bought into the Danny koolaid :mad:

Except that Vinny isn't the problem. Joe Gibbs is. You are misplacing blame.

Do you know what Vinny Cerrato's title is? Do you know what his job responsibilities are?

President of football operations - Joe Gibbs

Vice president of football operations - Vinny Cerrato

Archived