Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerry rice on Art Monk

nebster21

Got it. It's in the OCt 9 issue in "Kings Corner"

"For former greats who've come close to getting into the HOF (Kuechenberg, Monk, T. Thomas, D. Thomas) and as well as for lesser lights with borderline Canton Resume's (Dermotti Dawson, Fred Dean, Andre Tippett) and players eligible for the first time (Bruce Matthews, Terrell Davis), the vote in Feb 2007 may be their best chance for induction for the next several years. With strong classes in 2008 led by Darrell Green and Cris Carter and '09 featuring Bruce SMith and Rod Woodson, there should be intense lobbying of the 39 voters by this year's candidates.

The hall admits 3 to 6 new members a year, and her's one voter's best guess at the class of '07 : Matthews, Derrick Thomas, Thurman Thomas, former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, tight end Charlie Sanders (seniors committee vote) and Art Monk."

Sorry, I had wishful thinking Grimm was in. But there it is.

"For former greats who've come close to getting into the HOF (Kuechenberg, Monk, T. Thomas, D. Thomas) and as well as for lesser lights with borderline Canton Resume's (Dermitti Dawson, Fred Dean, Andre Tippett) and players eligible for the first time (Bruce Matthews, Terrell Davis), the vote in Feb 2007 may be their best chance for induction for the next several years. With strong classes in 2008 led by Darrell Green and Cris Carter and '09 featuring Bruce SMith and Rod Woodson, there should be intense lobbying of the 39 voters by this year's candidates.

The hall admits 3 to 6 new members a year, and her's one voter's best guess at the class of '07 : Matthews, Derrick Thomas, Thurman Thomas, former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, tight end Charlie Sanders (seniors committee vote) and Art Monk."

Very cool. However, technically he didn't say HE was voting for Monk. :)

I don't know what the hell happened but in the 6 years that he had to wait until becoming eligible, his legacy became that of a "8 yard curl" receiver who wasn't feared by opposing defenses.
Dr. Z first came up with the "8-yard curl" line in 1984 when Art Monk broke the single-season reception record. What happenned in the late 90's was that he talked Peter King into voting against Monk too.
this just shows the HoF voting group should consist of more former players/coaches. I don't think it's fair that a group of so-called analysts should be voting. I don't see them having a degree in football-ology or something. They usually just have their journalism majors and whatever else.
The committee is all writers with a representative from each NFL city: http://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/
Very cool. However, technically he didn't say HE was voting for Monk. :)
I don't think King is going to tell us how he'll vote until after the meeting ... I bet he's not even sure right now, but I think the's getting tired of the whole Art Monk thing. It was never really personal for him, and now that his grudge candidate, Harry Carson, got in, I think King just wants Monk in so he doesn't have to talk about it anymore. Now Dr. Z, on the other hand, seems to revel in the Redskins hate mail for some reason.

Lets not forget Russ Grimm now.

No doubt. But Chris first. He's 9 time pro bowler. Russ went, what, 4 times? Darrell Green only elected to 7, right? Like Monk, however, Hanburger rarely talked to the press. Grimm needs to be in, tho. Definitely.

First let me say I tried the Search function and got a 404 error so if this is a duplicate I am sorry but figured you all would like this read. I heard Jerry talking on Sirius' NFL Network.

Getting mad props from Jerry Rice. The only reason that Jerry rice does not like Art Monk was that Monk grabbed Rice's helmet at a pro bowl. He said he was a great Reciever that deserves the HOF. When you have a person like that say that someone needs to be in the HOF how can you not vote him in.

Hopefully pastabelly and all the rest of the monk haters will realize what fools they have been.

Funny you bring this up today on the nfl net Rod Woodson said and I quote "No other reciever should go to the HOF before Art Monk." Why can all the great players of this game see this and not anyone else?

Face it the only way Monk will get into the HOF anytime soon as long as Pastabelly & king are around is with a ticket.

Although keep in mind King for years led the campaign to keep Lynn Swann out and he eventually got in.

I see Monk getting in within the next couple of years, because when Darrell Green gets in and if Monk is still left out...expect him to say something during his induction speech.

And this is why I think things need to change in the way things are done in the HOF. I think that there was a good intention with the way things are done now, but as the saying goes with good intentions. There needs to be a bit of balance here.

These, ( Woodson and Rice) are Art's peers. They know who they played against. They know Art better than any reporter with his stats in hand. They should be accounted for one way or the other.

Tom Jackson mentions Monk's name first every time he's asked who should be in the hall of fame.

He's a big time advocate, believe it or not.

Yea I know, and that's saying a lot, seeing how he'll take a shot at the skins any chance he gets. Even Irvin said it for Christ's sake. It's past ridiculous at this point. After he played his final game I remember I was happy and sad at the same time. Sad that I wouldn't be able to see him play anymore, but at the same time happy and excited because I knew as soon as he was eligible he would deservingly take his place in Canton with the all-time greats. Didn't really work out how it was supposed to :(

Reading all of this though gives me hope though, as it does every year when the HOF candidates are announced. If Monk gets in im going to Canton, it's that simple, he is my favorite redskin and player of all time, and somebody that I looked up to and admired since I was but a small child :logo:

I didnt hear it but I bet Rice 'not liking Monk' was said jokingly. I believe the story is that at the Pro Bowl, Monk stole Jerry's helmet and hid it as a prank.

It was in jest. He wanted to make sure he got it before Jerry traded it away. Many Pro Bowl players trade helmets at the end of the game, autographing the headgear for their peers. I'm sure if Rice was really mad, he wouldn't have signed it for him. As Ronni Lott once quoted "Art Monk was an example for Jerry Rice. That's what Jerry always told me." I'm sure he felt honored.

And I agree with those who want Chris Hanburger in the HOF. One of the best LB's of his era and selected to the Pro Bowl (9) more than any Redskin in history - 1 short of LT (not comparing). Also, Grimm and Jacoby should be in. AT LEAST ONE HOG should be inducted, for crying out loud. If there can only be one, it should be Russ Grimm.

Archived