Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jerry rice on Art Monk

nebster21

First let me say I tried the Search function and got a 404 error so if this is a duplicate I am sorry but figured you all would like this read. I heard Jerry talking on Sirius' NFL Network.

Getting mad props from Jerry Rice. The only reason that Jerry rice does not like Art Monk was that Monk grabbed Rice's helmet at a pro bowl. He said he was a great Reciever that deserves the HOF. When you have a person like that say that someone needs to be in the HOF how can you not vote him in.

Hopefully pastabelly and all the rest of the monk haters will realize what fools they have been.

First let me say I tried the Search function and got a 404 error so if this is a duplicate I am sorry but figured you all would like this read. I heard Jerry talking on Sirius' NFL Network.

Getting mad props from Jerry Rice. The only reason that Jerry rice does not like Art Monk was that Monk grabbed Rice's helmet at a pro bowl. He said he was a great Reciever that deserves the HOF. When you have a person like that say that someone needs to be in the HOF how can you not vote him in.

Hopefully pastabelly and all the rest of the monk haters will realize what fools they have been.

Funny thing is, a lot of former NFL players and coaches agree that Art should be inducted. Mediots like Pastabelly and Petie Queen, guys who couldn't be further away from being NFL alumni material, don't want Art in.

It's quite comical now that you mention it.

GC

Funny thing is, a lot of former NFL players and coaches agree that Art should be inducted. Mediots like Pastabelly and Petie Queen, guys who couldn't be further away from being NFL alumni material, don't want Art in.

It's quite comical now that you mention it.

GC

Exactly. The odd thing (and the reason I think he may get in this year) is that King seems to be turning around.....but Dr. Zzzzzz is still an idiot along with Pastaboy.

81 HOF!!!

Yeah, I have a feeling that the veterans committee will put Monk in if the media doesn't.

Funny thing that King and Pasquarelli carry so much weight for the HOF, when the only HOF they'll ever be in is getting their photo on the wall for finishing the 64 oz steak.

The odd thing (and the reason I think he may get in this year) is that King seems to be turning around

81 HOF!!!

I know king said he would talk to Gibbs about Monk in the preseason and that he would wait till then to form (or reform) and opinion. I have never heard if he did talk to Gibbs or if he has a new opinion. Has he said anything about the meeting?

Ok, so now the greatest WR of all time and an 11-time pro-bowl DB have come out in strong support for Monk's induction into the HOF. How many all-time great players and peers of this man need to say something before the voters get a clue?

Funny thing is that Art Monk was viewed as a Hall of Famer at the end of his career. On all the broadcasts people were talking about him as a "first ballot HOFer" or a "sure fire HOF inductee".

I don't know what the hell happened but in the 6 years that he had to wait until becoming eligible, his legacy became that of a "8 yard curl" receiver who wasn't feared by opposing defenses.

I just can't believe that one or two guys are enough to keep a player out. King and Z are vocal about it, but unfortunately there appear to be alot more people on that committee who feel the same way about it and for the life of me I just don't know why or how that can be.

I always liked Rice. Anybody remember that 80 yard TD vs. the G-men in the playoffs? Classic. Classy guy.

Uhh, yeahhh, I'm going to have to go ahead and...disagree with ya there.

Jerry Rice was a pretty selfish player. I remember him slamming his helmet to the ground as his team scored the clinching touchdown because he didn't extend his consecutive games with a catch streak (I believe that is what it was over). I also recall how he insisted on wearing #80 in Seattle, putting Steve Largeant in a very awkward spot.

He was perhaps the greatest player to ever play in the NFL and had a legendary work ethic, rivaled by only Walter Payton perhaps. But I would not call him "classy." :cool:

Funny thing is that Art Monk was viewed as a Hall of Famer at the end of his career. On all the broadcasts people were talking about him as a "first ballot HOFer" or a "sure fire HOF inductee".

I don't know what the hell happened but in the 6 years that he had to wait until becoming eligible, his legacy became that of a "8 yard curl" receiver who wasn't feared by opposing defenses.

I just can't believe that one or two guys are enough to keep a player out. King and Z are vocal about it, but unfortunately there appear to be alot more people on that committee who feel the same way about it and for the life of me I just don't know why or how that can be.

You know I have the same ponderisms (new word lol). I've come up with many conclusions- from conspiracy theories, people who have personal vendettas against Art for being a non-vocal introvert, to maybe, just maybe, a 15 year cloud of hate floating over the Redskins because the franchise has been in turmoil since Gibbs I.

I can go on and on, but none of the theories that I can come up with are sound theories. It's like the Kennedy assasination, we may be 80 years old before we find out the real reason why, or we may never know :( .

GC

Art Monk is my favorite Redskin of all time. This whole situation just gets me so......... :cuss: :redpunch: :tantrum: :rant:

The Hall of Fame is not what it used to be and I don't think ever will be again. It's now "The Hall Of 36 Biased Sportswriters". I can't stand The HBS. When they elect Irvin before they elect Monk (and you know it's going to happen), I may go on a killing spree ( :jk: - kind of)

this just shows the HoF voting group should consist of more former players/coaches. I don't think it's fair that a group of so-called analysts should be voting. I don't see them having a degree in football-ology or something. They usually just have their journalism majors and whatever else.

An analyst/voter who is a former player is obviously excluded from this list, does someone have the list of HoF voters? Im not sure how it falls, but I think it's safe to say there are a few notables (King, Dr. Z, Pasquerelli) who weren't former players.

If these clowns can be voters, you may as well let me vote in about 10 years, I'm a student of the game, just my knowledge can only go back to the mid-90s or so. I don't have a journalism degree though, I guess that keeps me out :doh:

Now, guys like Darren Woodson, Jerry Rice, even Deion and Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, I would rather see these guys as voters (well, maybe they should be restricted to already inducted players/coaches). But whenever those guys make it in, those guys would have played with many of the people they would have to elect, or at least were around in some capacity. Deion with Ray Lewis, Jerry Rice with anyone today, heh.

We all have said it and we all know it. When and NFL reciever ends his career with more receptions (catching the ball) than anyone else who has ever done it before (you know, catching the ball) you did the one thing that a reciever does better than anyone who ever did it before. How can you not go to the HOF? Art Monk not being in the HOF is the most retarded injustice in the history of sports.

I was reading last week's issue of SI in the dentist office the other day and in the NFL section in the back, Peter King actually said these would be the 07 class if he had to pick: Thurman Thomas, Some old guy (don't remember), Derrick Thomas, One of the Dolphins old O-lineman, RUSS GRIMM and ART MONK! I'll see if I can get all the names later. True as Blue. He had it in print. he can't take it back now.

Archived