Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kurt Cobain's Death - Do you believe he did it?

Rdskn4Lyf21

Yes i believe he did it. Heroin's a hell of a drug...

Bands like Faith No More and Alice in Chains, had more to do with getting the world ready for a new style of music then Nirvana imo. A new era was already set in motion before Smells like Teen Spirit ever hit.. Yet Nirvana gets the credit for changing it. Them and Pearl Jam just cashed in on what was already taking place. It was because of bands like these that the world did embrace it. If smells like Teen Spirit suddenly appeared in 1985, Cobain would of been run out of the country or everyone would of thought he was retarded.
Nirvana gets the credit because they were the most popular grunge band, end of story. They were the most popular for a reason...2 I'll agree with Alice in Chains, pretty much the only group I listen to from that genre, I love their music. (RIP Layne)

Faith no more though? They SUCK.

Yes i believe he did it. Heroin's a hell of a drug...

Nirvana gets the credit because they were the most popular grunge band, end of story. They were the most popular for a reason...2 I'll agree with Alice in Chains, pretty much the only group I listen to from that genre, I love their music. (RIP Layne)

Faith no more though? They SUCK.

Faith No More is a vastly underrated band and very much ahead of their time.

You Suck! :cheers:

Jerry Cantrell and Billy Corgan. Neither of them are prone to showing off yet could play anything. And Billy can play the **** out of a solo but it's always within the context of the song. It's there for a reason and adds to the song in a meaningful way.

Neither one of them is a solo performer or instrumentalist. I dug Cantrell, but if there's certainly an overrated guitar player out there in terms of both ability and tone, it's Billy Corgan.

I disagree. Cantrell is good, but there are definitely better guitarists from the Metal age. I'd put Dimebag up against him.

Yeah, but I wouldn't say he was in a 'hair band"

I classify hair bands as that sugary sweet androgynous/ leather crap from the mid 80s... poseurs, boring, predictable and corny.

Poison was a hair band,, Pantera was not.

As to Corgan,, with the Pumpkins he was great, until that god awful "Mellon Collie" thing. And maybe I'm mistaken, but weren't most of the leads by James Iha?

~Bang

I classify hair bands as that sugary sweet androgynous/ leather crap from the mid 80s... poseurs, boring, predictable and corny.

As to Corgan,, with the Pumpkins he was great, until that god awful "Mellon Collie" thing. And maybe I'm mistaken, but weren't most of the leads by James Iha?

~Bang

He was part of the end of them Cowboys from Hell for one. Plus the albums before Cowboys.

The guitar player from Testament as well is better. I keep forgetting his name. And he was DEFINITELY considered part of the "Hair Band" age. What about George Lynch. I'd take him over Cantrell as well.

~Bang

You are mistaken. Iha and D'arcy were pretty much there for the tours and eye candy. All of the music was written and played by Billy and Jimmy Chamberlain. Corgan is a notorious control freak. As far as "Mellon Collie"? Masterpiece.

That's just crazy talk. Mike Patton > * and Mike Bordin is a vastly underrated drummer.

And how can you not like a band that **** in an OJ container and sent it to Axl Rose?

That's hilarious. I hadn't heard that.

GnR must have used it for inspiration while making those "Use you illusion' albums because those are **** in a CD case.

The guitar player from Testament as well is better. I keep forgetting his name. And he was DEFINITELY considered part of the "Hair Band" age. What about George Lynch. I'd take him over Cantrell as well.

You mean Alex Skolnick? I think he's actually back with Testament after doing a New Age, then Jazz thing for a while.

Lynch is the Rodney Dangerfield of Rock guitar players from that era. He happened to be on the LA Strip in his band alongside another band then-named Mammoth. Mammoth got courted by Gene Simmons and Lynch got overshadowed by the guitar player in that band.

At least Lynch has his own little "mini-me" in Warren DiMartini, though... :laugh:

You are mistaken. Iha and D'arcy were pretty much there for the tours and eye candy. All of the music was written and played by Billy and Jimmy Chamberlain. Corgan is a notorious control freak. As far as "Mellon Collie"? Masterpiece.

I agree..."Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" is one of the top 2 or 3 albums of the 90s, and in the top 50 of the past 30 years.

Oh come on now, you had to go and throw Chris Cornell in the mix, did ya? I don't care if Cornell could hold Vai's jockstrap or not, I'll take Black Hole Sun over any cheesy Whitesnake crap any day of the week.

Black Hole Sun is arguably my least favorite song in the History of Me.

Everytime it comes on all I hear is :cry:

As someone who grew up listening to (and loving) 80's metal, then started listening to more alternative stuff around the turn of the decade, I think it all was good (well the primary bands in each era that is). There were a ton of signs around '88-90 that change was coming or already happening....Guns n' Roses had brought more "dirtiness" to hard rock/metal, the mainstream was opening up to heavier stuff, classic rock was making a comeback on the airwaves, and "college rock" bands like REM and U2 were hitting it big. The grunge movement sort of took all of that and put it together.

Nirvana was basically a sloppy punk band with great songwriting. There are tons of songwriters that don't have the ability or motivation to perform their songs perfectly...Bob Dylan could never really sing, but I really like most of his songs when somebody else does them (not a comparison, just an example!). Pearl Jam was/is basically a modern classic rock band. AIC and Soundgarden were kind of edgy post-metal bands. Etc. Cobain was just chosen as the face of it all by the media, even before he died, which was unfortunate because he obviously did not want to be.

And there are PLENTY of quality guitar solos by many of the gunge era bands....just not the flashy, look-at-me style of the glam metal bands. I like and appreciate both (hey, imagine that!). Also, just because someone is more technically proficient doesn't necessarily mean they are better. BB King is still considered a great, innovative guitarist, but technically, most other players can play circles around him, not to mention he doesn't even play rhythm guitar....but that vibrato is unmatched!

What it all comes down to is that music is a matter of taste. People like different things for reasons that can't be explained....and that's ok. But with that said, I realize that people will still argue about it until the end of time!

As for the original subject, I have my suspicions, but haven't done enough research to come to a real conclusion. IMO, it's just sad that he's gone.

Archived