Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and Betts are nearly even...

flexxskins

in total rushing yards and attempts that is.

CP is currently 23rd in the league in rushing yards and LB is not far behind at 26th. Only 7 yards seperates the two in rushing attempts, with CP having 53 and LB 46.

When I saw this, I immediately began to wonder if the increase in Betts' workload is due to Portis' injury or do the coaches just like the overall one two punch effect it has?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2006/regular

Might be a little of both. CP got alot of carries last year, and it looked to take a toll on him later in the season. Alot of that I think was due to running so many counters and traps, but he got ALOT of work. I think that he's trying to spread the workload around, and keeping everyone fresher. That and Al Saunders really likes Betts as a runner and in the passing game. So, I think it's a little of both.

Like everyone else said, I think it's both. I think that we may see a slight decrease in CP's yardage this year due to the fact that Saunders likes to use the 1-2 combo of dual RBs.

If things continue to go this way, I will definitely be a big advocate of keeping Betts here for as long as possible. I think Betts is good enough to start on some NFL teams right now, and with both of these guys we have a very strong ground attack.

Gibbs is all about a power running game. The stat I originally saw was something like 119-11 when a Gibbs coached team rushes 30 or more times in a game.

To last the entire season rushing like we have been, there's no way we can put it all on Portis' shoulders. We'll have much healthier running backs come the last few weeks of the season, and defenses will always have to watch for our run with both backs being productive.

This is also why I think TJ Duckett will payoff towards the end of the season. How many teams have two very productive backs, and then a backup who could be a first stringer waiting on the sidelines with fresh legs?

Injury has more to do with it than anything.

Betts was used more as a change of pace back last year to bust between the tackles in Gibbs version of the offense. However, now that we are running Saunders version, you don't have as many runs between the tackles as you used to.

Once Portis shoulder starts feeling better, you'll see Betts numbers decline. Remember that Priest Holmes was 5'9" 213 lbs and Portis is 5'11" 214. No one spelled Holmes during his years in Saunders offense in KC.

That just shows you we dont need portis. Why are we paying all this money for him when our backup is putting up the same numbers. Maybe we can trade portis for bailey again. JK JK Never would I give up my man CP. But seriously betts and cp are turning out to complement each other excellent. I keep seeing people say portis isnt carrying to load yet but damn the guy touched the ball 27 times. When I think about the game I dont remember him touching it that much but he did. I think this strategy is going to pay dividends at the end of the season. Portis can stay fresh and not take a pounding. Seriously this offense is just getting started. I could not be happier wiht the play calling and the way we are helping portis stay healthy.

Injury has more to do with it than anything.

Betts was used more as a change of pace back last year to bust between the tackles in Gibbs version of the offense. However, now that we are running Saunders version, you don't have as many runs between the tackles as you used to.

Once Portis shoulder starts feeling better, you'll see Betts numbers decline. Remember that Priest Holmes was 5'9" 213 lbs and Portis is 5'11" 214. No one spelled Holmes during his years in Saunders offense in KC.

I agree with what you said about the injury part. But, then I saw that block that CP threw during Moss' first TD run and I got to wondering if he is 100%.

Portis was pulling himself out of the Jaguars game because he got a bruised tailbone when a Jag players helmet hit him (ouch!)

It wouldn't have gone to overtime if he had taken that 3rd and 1 carry imo - but CP said he was out because of the bruised tailbone.

Apparently, as much as it hurt sunday, he said he felt fine on monday.

S'all good!

I agree with what you said about the injury part. But, then I saw that block that CP threw during Moss' first TD run and I got to wondering if he is 100%.

He looked good to me. He won't be 100% until the end of the year when he stops taking hits and starts rehab.

his rushing attempts are back to normal now... Portis had like, wha, 27 attempts on Sunday? and Betts, 11 attempts?

that's how Saunders wants it done... 3/4 for Portis, 1/4 for Betts

Lets just make damn sure that next time we have a game on the line and a 3&1 our freaking franchise back is in the game not the backup.

He looked good to me. He won't be 100% until the end of the year when he stops taking hits and starts rehab.
Yeah, thats what I meant...my bad. I was meaning that CP looked to be 100% the way that he threw that block. Also, I don't if anyone else noticed, but he wasn't wearing that harness/strap type thing Sunday.

in total rushing yards and attempts that is.

CP is currently 23rd in the league in rushing yards and LB is not far behind at 26th. Only 7 yards seperates the two in rushing attempts, with CP having 53 and LB 46.

When I saw this, I immediately began to wonder if the increase in Betts' workload is due to Portis' injury or do the coaches just like the overall one two punch effect it has?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2006/regular

Those #'s are with CP missing 1 game tho.

Gibbs is all about a power running game. The stat I originally saw was something like 119-11 when a Gibbs coached team rushes 30 or more times in a game.

To last the entire season rushing like we have been, there's no way we can put it all on Portis' shoulders. We'll have much healthier running backs come the last few weeks of the season, and defenses will always have to watch for our run with both backs being productive.

This is also why I think TJ Duckett will payoff towards the end of the season. How many teams have two very productive backs, and then a backup who could be a first stringer waiting on the sidelines with fresh legs?

Exactly. I know people are complaining about Duckett not playing, but as long as he's ready, we'll need him later in the season. We would like to have Portis fresh towards the end and for the playoffs. Betts is healthy now so let's hope that continues. Any small injury means that Duckett is in. Portis is key, if we have to take his workload away to keep him fresh for later than that's why we need two backups.

Just like Gibbs said, Duckett will contribute this year.

Portis and Betts are complimentary.

Intense, hard-working Portis appreciates a blow; it's the poor opposition defense that doesn't get " a blow" when Betts continues the "Smashmouth"....

Opposition safeties would like to help but Santana is always there...

Archived