Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Skins perhaps looking past the Eagles?

Eagle_Lou

Seems to me that many of the Skin fans here have no respect for our Eagle football team let alone the fans who support them. In one breath they say how inept our team is, in another they say well there not that bad, but not a serious contender for the SB. I guess 8-4 and Division leader for what 8 weeks now and counting this week isnt enough to buy that bridge in Brooklyn yet huh? Yea I know you beat us bad when we were playing our best. We knew we had to win against you and we didnt. We kind of chuckle at your club when Dallas beats you, year in , year out. Are you ever going to beat the Cowboys again? We lost 9 in a row to the Giants until we broke it up. Now were heading for a Division Championship. Do you really think we have any shot at all to win this Division or will my Eagles fall frome grace, like all those other Philly teams who seem to get to the dance, but somehow forget why they came there in the first place? You wont find any post here from me, go ahead and look that says your team stinks. Thats because it doesnt. Mine, well again were 8-4 and have not beaten you this year yet so Ill take my finger off the trigger for awhile and let the smoke clear a little so we can get down to style vs. style, matchups , philosophies of our 2 clubs. Hck Ill even talk some history of my Eagles, although Im not too deep on history, although I know the Eagles evolved out of the franklinb Yellwjackets, and the Steegles back in ohhhh 43'. Im hoping some of the Skin players are looking past us to NO or Chicago. I mean were not a very offensive team right now are we? Well?

It's not that anybody is lookin past the Eagles, is just how you come over talkin sh!t after we beat you in your house. Most look at the last 4 games as very tough, but winable.

joint.gif

------------------

Steal your face right off your head

The Eagles are in the same boat the Giants were in last year garnering any R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Both teams sported a winning record with an inconsistent offense and solid defense in leading a mediocre division.

The Giants were winning but they weren't defeating great teams and they weren't doing so in dominant fashion either. Same with the Eagles of '01.

As far as "looking past the Eagles"... I'm sure this is all an Eagle fan can really hope for at this point because I can't really see how a 6-6 team with 4 games to go and any hope of making the playoffs can afford to look 'past' any opponent at this stage of the season.

------------------

Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days the statue.

A serious SuperBowl contender? Yeah right. We're speculating about playoffs, not about the SuperBowl, because we realize that our team is not quite there yet. Eagle's fans heads got bloated when they were the chic SuperBowl pick of the preseason.

You can't win a SuperBowl with no offense. Sure, the Ravens managed it last year, but this Eagles D ain't no Ravens.

As for the division title, we shall see. We have a serious shot, and if we beat you on Sunday, the cards will be in our hands, and your precious Eagles will be on the verge of not even making the playoffs. With the Eagles offense, how do you expcet to beat Tampa or San Francisco? It ain't gonna happen. That translates into a 9-7 record, and the verge of not making a wildcard.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I seriously doubt we'd be looking forward to the Bears or the Saints with the vaunted Eagles coming to town. How could we? After all, they're legit SuperBowl contenders. Oh yeah, I forgot, you guys have an inept passing game added to no running game.

Oh yeah, I also forgot that you have the 17th ranked run D in the league and you were burned by Jeff Graham for over 100 yards last Sunday.

There's no way your D can win the battle on the line of scrimmage. It'll be a repeat of last time. Stephen and Ki-jana running circles around you, and the Eagles sitting and looking bewildered.

Originally posted by Pete:

It's not that anybody is lookin past the Eagles, is just how you come over talkin sh!t after we beat you in your house. Most look at the last 4 games as very tough, but winable.

joint.gif

Your being too nice and too vague Pete. Im not over here talkin sh!t. Actually Im posting it, but Ive got my raa, raa's completed now and Im ready to post some football stuff. I want to know how and why the Skin fans feel the way they do about the underachieving Eagles, thats all. See Im not armed,,, I put my side arms down. I get this sence of laziness here that its just another win for the Skins on Sunday, and Im just curious to find out what makes Skin fans tick these dayz. Especially when everything is on the line for both clubs.

I don't think a 10-9 squeaker win over the Giants counts as a full exorcism for the Eagles in that series.

At 8-4 the Eagles have the worst record for a division leader in the NFC yet have the least competitive group of teams as a group in the NFL to contend with. Only the Redskins are even .500 and they started off 0-5.

So, I don't know how much credit the Eagles deserve.

You cut on the Redskins for losing to Dallas but the Eagles usually stub their toes against Washington and Arizona now don't they? And you have already mentioned the recent history of the Giants series. That was THREE victories last year for the Giants, eh? smile.gif

At the same time the Redskins are a 6-6 team looking to have a winning season after a very slow start under a new coach and new system.

We are where you were 2 years ago when Reid came on board.

Marty has changed up everything from when Norv was here and this team is nowhere near as good now as it will be next season when there is greater continuity and younger players are used to what is expected of them.

so, anything for us down the line in terms of a winning record and finishing strong is a bonus for this team.

For the Eagles and their high expectations, I think there is and should be pressure to do more than make the playoffs and get bounced early.

Based on what we were told in August and September the Eagles SHOULD have beaten the Cardinals and Redskins at home by 10-14 points.

Instead we have seen that as long as you don't throw the ball right to the Eagles for easy scores and short drives as Dallas did twice this season, then you have a good chance to hang in there and compete with them.

That is why Redskins fans are confident this is going to be a competitive game regardless of how many weeks the Eagles have been in the lead in the division.

In short, the Eagles have failed to show the kind of killer instinct you see in mature teams that are ready to go on and win a championship.

At least so far.

As I said if the Eagles come in here and win by 10-14 points than I will take my hat off to them and give them some props.

I have seen the Eagles play several games this season and haven't been impressed by them so far. They lost to the Rams in one contest, to the Raiders in another, beat the Giants by ONE point in the third and lost to Washington by 10 in the last game.

I see it this way. Over the first 12 games the Eagles were the best t4ea in the East. However, over the past 7, the Redskins have clearly been better. How can I say this? 13-3. That's how. I am not impressed with the Eagles at all. They have won 8 games, but against who? The 4-8 Cowboys, 5-7 Vikes, 5-7 Cards, 5-7 Giants, 3-9 Chiefs, 6-6 Seahawks, and 5-8 Chargers. Not very impressive opponents ESPECIALLY when you consider who you lost to. 9-3 Oakland, 6-6 Skins, 5-7 Cards, and 10-2 Rams. The better teams beat you each time and once a worse team did. The SKins were certainly aweful in the first 5 games, but are a different team since winning on the Road at 8-4 Philly, 7-6 Denver, 5-7 Cards, and at home vs lesser teams Car, NYG, Sea.

As for your team, I thin you have an allstar secondary, 2 great LBs and 1 very good one. and a decent but overrated Dline. On the other side, your offense is terrible. McNabb is having trouble, Duce has shown only in the last 2 weeks any semblance of the 99 Duce. Your receivers are terrible. Thrash would be a great 2 WR but he's not a 1. And the rookie is just that. Add in a pair of bookend tackles (2nd only to Samuels and Jansen IMO) but a suspect interior line, and it just doesnt add up to a SuperBowl caliber team.

Ask yourself this question. If the Eagles are the clear cream of the crop, how are the Redskins within a game and a half (using the tiebreaker rules) of the division lead, after spotting you the first 5 games? I have no illusions of the Skins being a SuperBowl caliber team this year, but I do think at this point in the season they are better than the Eagles.

Good point, Drexel, but we won't actually need to pass that much. Tomlinson looked good early, but he's hit the wall bigtime. He played decent in that game, but not good enough.

We have a 6 year vet in the backfield who knows how to get the job done late in the season. Stephen will run all over them, and we'll make the passes when we need to.

It's a simple enough formula.

Lou, in all honesty, revisit your board on the Eagles website and look at all the crap that's being said over there. Seems like people are conveniently forgetting that the Redskins did win at the Vet three weeks ago, and now because the Eagles won a couple of games, including an unimpressive performance against the Chargers where the difference in the game was the Chargers RB mishandling a Flutie pitchout, and all of a sudden you all have a free ride to the Superbowl?

I think that many people here are anticipating a tough game, and would acknowledge that the Eagles still are in the drivers seat, but a win by the Skins would give us a good shot to overtake you. However, even if the Eagles do win, the last time I checked there were still four teams with better records than you in the NFC.

The Eagles should be commended for being in first place and also for largely beating the teams that you should beat. However, unless your record shows you being at the top of your conference come playoff time, there really isn't a whole lot of room to puff out your chests, until you actually pull some upsets and reach the Big Game.

Oh yes, and owning a few Lombardi trophies helps too.

Originally posted by bulldog:

You cut on the Redskins for losing to Dallas but the Eagles usually stub their toes against Washington and Arizona now don't they? And you have already mentioned the recent history of the Giants series. That was THREE victories last year for the Giants, eh? smile.gif

At the same time the Redskins are a 6-6 team looking to have a winning season after a very slow start under a new coach and new system.

We are where you were 2 years ago when Reid came on board.

In short, the Eagles have failed to show the kind of killer instinct you see in mature teams that are ready to go on and win a championship.

At least so far.

As I said if the Eagles come in here and win by 10-14 points than I will take my hat off to them and give them some props.

I have seen the Eagles play several games this season and haven't been impressed by them so far. They lost to the Rams in one contest, to the Raiders in another, beat the Giants by ONE point in the third and lost to Washington by 10 in the last game.

We usually split with the Cards and Skins every year, at least thats how its been since Andy has been around. I kind of pity your club this year with the only goal is to have a winning record. Thats not why we play this game. We play it to win. Not to win next year or the year after,,, but now. But hats off to the Skins for coming back after 0-5. Killer instinct? Like the Giants of last year, or the Rams the year before? Yea, that would be a nice feather to add to our resume to, a killer instinct, like the Ravens. But were the Eagles, and we will do this thing our way. Were shooting to win the Superbowl for this season, dont think we arent. Actually, I want to be an underdog in this. Its more fun that way. 10-14 points? Na, Ill be happy with a 1 point win. A win is a win, even if its ugly.

Originally posted by hail2skins:

The Eagles should be commended for being in first place and also for largely beating the teams that you should beat. However, unless your record shows you being at the top of your conference come playoff time, there really isn't a whole lot of room to puff out your chests, until you actually pull some upsets and reach the Big Game.

Oh yes, and owning a few Lombardi trophies helps too.

Aint that the truth hail2skins. Get hot just before the playoffs, make sure your team is focused for every game down the stretch, do the unexpected, and bring home that Lombardi trophy. Much easier to say than to do. But why does a man climb a mountain? Because its there... We just have to be more focused in order for our dream to come true. Hopefully, we will experince what you Skins have already had 3 times before just once this season, thats all I want for now, just 1 SB win under the ole Eagle belt.

The idea that the Redskins could look past the Eagles is proposterous! The Redskins know that every week is a fight for their playoff lives, and they are certainly not going to overlook the team that is two games ahead of them in the division standings. I'll even go a step further and say that this is by far the most highly anticipated game of our season!

And I don't see many Redskins fans overlooking the Eagles either. If anything you are just seeing a response to the smack talking of some of the Eagles fans. Most of us know that this game will be a dogfight and we'll be ecstatic if we win. And who cares if fans are overlooking Philly anyways? We aren't the ones that have to play Sunday.

First off Lou, I should have been more general in saying who came over talkin sh!t, and said fans, not you.

Your last line kinda sums it up. Everything is on the line for each team, and as Die Hard stated, at 6 & 6, we can't look past any teams we play, even if the Lions were one of them. Look at it from the other side. If the first game we played had been at home for the Skins, and you beat us, and we were now coming to your house, wouldn't you feel just a bit more confident of a win knowing you had the fans behind you. It's only normal. I think most here would think our season successful if we finish over 500, and a playoff bert would be a big bonus.

The biggest difference I see is that we need some help from other teams to win the division, you need just to win your games. I’ve never said the Eagles weren’t a good team, and have said before that they always give the Skins fits. Teams with mobile QBs have been a problem for us up until this season. LaVar is being used properly, letting him play to his strengths. Weather McNabb was trying to be the pocket passer Reid want’s him to be, or just realized he had a spy following him that hits like train, he didn’t break any big runs, and that was key. With our corners matching up well with your receivers, it let us get some help to stop Staley. He didn’t have an off day, we stopped him, plain and simple. Marty game planed better, and caught Reid off guard.

I don’t expect this game to go the same way as the first, and should be the bone bruising, pound the pi$$ out of each other type of games your supposed to play in mid December, when it’s all on the line. I do expect to win, just as you do.

joint.gif

I had a motorcycle engine slip and crush my hand between the frame and engine about an hour ago, and typing is killing me, so if you excuse me, I have to go ice it down now.

------------------

Steal your face right off your head

well, Eagle Lou we can all be politically correct and say the goal each year is to win the Super Bowl, but was that actually Andy Reid's goal in season #1 when he was getting his program established?

At heart no. It was to draft well, coalesce as a team, begin to win games and have the players develop confidence in themselves and their teammates.

To suggest with a 50% roster turnover and a completely new staff that the Redskins should realistically have been shooting for a Super Bowl title in 2001 is preposterous.

How many first year coaches have won a Super Bowl? Unless you are lucky enough to have a championship team handed to you as George Seifert was in SF and Barry Switzer was in Dallas the odds are indeed long.

The Eagles may believe they are shooting for the Super Bowl in 2001 but that is only because of the foundation laid in 1999 and built on last year when the team finished 11-5.

If the Eagles finished the 2000 season firing their coach and unloading half the roster in the offseason to get some cap sanity I doubt we would be having this conversation about high expectations for your team.

There is nothing worse than a team bereft of hope, one that thinks it is just a loser and always will be. You see those long faces in Cincinnati and Arizona.

Here, we could have folded at 0-5 and just collapsed like Detroit did to go 0-12. We could have done what the Colts are doing in mailing in the season.

Instead the team went from 0-5 to 6-1 in the next 7 games.

So, you tell me. After starting 0-5 what should be the goal for this team other than to finish strong, secure a winning record and beat some of the teams ahead of us on the road to a possible playoff berth?

According to your logic we should be lining up Super Bowl opponents or else we are just pathetic fans that accept less than the ideal?

Get real.

Originally posted by Eagle_Lou:

We usually split with the Cards and Skins every year, at least thats how its been since Andy has been around. I kind of pity your club this year with the only goal is to have a winning record. Thats not why we play this game. We play it to win. Not to win next year or the year after,,, but now. But hats off to the Skins for coming back after 0-5. Killer instinct? Like the Giants of last year, or the Rams the year before? Yea, that would be a nice feather to add to our resume to, a killer instinct, like the Ravens. But were the Eagles, and we will do this thing our way. Were shooting to win the Superbowl for this season, dont think we arent. Actually, I want to be an underdog in this. Its more fun that way. 10-14 points? Na, Ill be happy with a 1 point win. A win is a win, even if its ugly.

Now Mary Lou, who in hell is expecting a superbowl this year? Noone, especially after an 0-5 start. That 0-5 is what brings Skins fans back. If we can make the playoffs that will be great. For all your denegrating 6-6. Remember it was just 2 years ago that the NFC had two 8-8 playoffs teams to fill out playoff roster. Once in the playoffs, anything can happen. Skins fans are realistic. Last year, based on the finish in 99; we though we were superbowl contenders. This year noone expect such a thing.

I don't even think you even win a playoff game. The Eagles are the 5th best team in the nfc right now. The Rams,PAckers, 49ers and even Bears would have no problem with the Eagles in the playoffs.

Talk up all the superbowl talk you want; until you actually win a Lombardi you won't get any respect. The Giants proved this year that 2000 was fluke just like the Skins proved 1999 was a fluke for them. I don't expect the Skins to field a legit superbowl contending team until 2003. Next year I expect a good playoff run and who knows what happens in the playoffs.

Your Eagles won't be doing much in the playoffs. They are superior teams ahead of you. So 8-4 record may seem great now but come playoff time; you'll be exposed.

The Redskins aren't overlooking the Eagles. Don't get too puffed up about that; they didn't overlook the Cards either, and wouldn't look past Detroit if they were on the schedule. Its mostly a function of where they are in the standings, with a dash of Marty thrown in.

As for the Iggs, they remind me a lot of the 2000 Giants. Before the game I half expect Andy Reid to hold a press conference, stick out his jaw and declare, 'The Eagles are goin' to the playoffs!'

I think what a lot of Eagle fans are forgetting is the fact that the Skins DOMINATED the game at the vet. I mean Sheesh, the only reason the Eagles had any points at all was because a stupid penalty put them in field goal position. Now of course this means squat this Sunday as both teams will come in with an updated game plan, but some teams just matchup great against other teams and that may be the case. Just like how Dallas seems to have great matchups where it counts when they play the Skins. I think our gameplan against the Eagles last time was superb, and I am hoping it is similar yet revised in case of a counter attack for Lavar's spying....I doubt this game will be a blowout by either team, and I think either team could win. I still like the SKins in this game because of matchups but hey, we will just have to wait for Sunday, and boy I CAN'T WAIT~!

LuLu,

The subject of this thread is just ridiculous. After getting smacked around just a couple of weeks ago, you all come back here and proclaim that that was a fluke and the Eagles will do much better this time.

No facts to back up your assertions, mind you. Just insubstantial claims. Then you have the chutzpah to wonder why we don't show the Eagles more respect.

Get a clue. Explain why, with relevant facts, you think the Eagles will win, and then you will get responses in kind.

Eagle_Poo (again, unfortunately),

The concept of your post is so ridiculous that it hardly merits a response.

How on earth could a team getting ready to play the team it trails by two games with four to play overlook that team?

Think about that, brainiac, and answer your own question.

Let me put this in very simple terms, just for you.

The Skins can compete physically with the Eagles across the board and win a lot of match-ups. If the Skins don't give the Eagles easy scores, via the turnover, Skins win.

Again, if the Redskins take care of the football, they win.

Is that so hard to understand?

I'll admit I'm a bit stunned to see some of the responses here, given how lacking your thought was, Louie. Like the first game, the Redskins needed a win desperately against the Eagles, and we did win, not looking past, yet, having immense confidence in our matchups and ability to beat you. The same is true now. You are a huge game for us. This is a much bigger game for us than for you.

The Redskins are still fighting back from a dismal start, and the knowledge that every game is crucial still rings loudly in all comments made by the players. The fact that we beat you with such relative ease in the opener does allow a confidence in this game. But, a confidence born of superiority is not a negative trait. Hell, even a year ago we were so much better than your team, ONLY an injury to Arrington on special teams let you get a win against us in the second game.

Though, quite possibly, the Eagles, who are a fair team, will rally and beat the Redskins in this game. With a leader like McNabb, such possibilities always exist. But, again, without McNabb, your team would be a 5 win team. You do NOT have a great deal of talent. I chuckle seeing your bloated Eagle fan ideas of greatness when every single one of us knows the Eagles only won a year ago because of McNabb, and nothing has changed.

You go where McNabb takes you. If he ever goes out, for any length of time, until your owner quits hording the cash and brings some talent in on that roster where you lack a great deal, your team will always be a one-man wrecking crew, and, as long as our team has a one-man wrecking crew like Arrington to match it, we'll always be comfortable against Philly.

------------------

Doom is in the box.

Bufford, I think the Eagles won the East in 1980 and 1988. And, according to the WIP Morning Guys website, in both those years the Eagles won it on account of a tiebreaker. I still remember 1980 (year Eagles went to the Superbowl).....I believe the Eagles were playing the second place Cowboys in Dallas, and all the Eagles had to do to clinch was not lose by more than like 24 points.....well, at some point during that game they were down by more than 24 before narrowing the margin!). They were saying that this may be the first year the Eagles may actually win the East outright.

Archived