Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis Speaks

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 4:40 PM ET, 09/ 7/2006

Portis Speaks

Portis said he's about 75 percent, would not be ready to play if he had to today and sounds very skeptical about being ready for Monday. he kept talking about the long-term and not doing anything to hurt himself for the long haul by rushing back.

He said he's 75 percent right now, and does not want to come back until he's 100 percent.

When he comes back he wants to be himself, a 25-carry back, and with so much time off and so few hits under his belt, that's not him right now. Said it would probably take at least two tough practices for him to be ready to play, and, unless he was doing some serious bluffing, I'd say don't start him on your fantasy teams and prepare to see a lot fo Ladell Betts Monday night.

Gibbs says Portis is still day-to-day and it will be the player's decision to play or not. Barring a complete turnaround in the next 48 hours, I wouldn't plan on him for the opener.

Keep in mind, the same stuff we hear is what the Vikings hear.

;)

Not saying he will play, but if the Skins are keeping everything close to the vest (as I think they are) then you may see Portis Monday night.

I remember countless times where Priest Holmes would be doubtful for the game, only to suit up and take 25 handoffs on Sunday. This staff knows what the deal is.

man this really sux =( , was hoping to see portis come back and provide the spark that was OBVIOUSLY ,missing in preseason , i think we will be fine w/o portis for a week but if we lose to the vikings i wont be surprised either , we wont have springs and our first string D got toasted by vanilla preseason plays =| ....

id like to see him play no matter what, just a couple downs, but i guess if we're in it for th elong run this year, having him healthy is more important.

I couldn't disagree more.

If your player isn't ready to play, then you keep him out of harm's way.

Portis needs to continue rehabbing and recovering until he's healthy and ready to play a full game. Hopefully it's next week vs. Dallas, but I'd prefer he miss that game too if it means he can come back and be here for us for the rest of the season.

I know we need him for the long haul , but I just dont have the faith in Betts that some of you do I say if portis can carry the ball 10-12 time that would make me feel alot better but if he cant fine get him ready for dalASS. To be honest I would much rather see duckett in there taking the bulk of the carries as apposed to betts

Portis Speaks

Portis said he's about 75 percent, would not be ready to play if he had to today and sounds very skeptical about being ready for Monday. he kept talking about the long-term and not doing anything to hurt himself for the long haul by rushing back.

He said he's 75 percent right now, and does not want to come back until he's 100 percent.QUOTE: I can understand his assessment and I agree with him. There is absolutely no need for him to disregard the signs his body is giving to him, If he did, the end result could be tragic !!

When he comes back he wants to be himself, a 25-carry back, and with so much time off and so few hits under his belt, that's not him right now. Said it would probably take at least two tough practices for him to be ready to play, and, unless he was doing some serious bluffing, I'd say don't start him on your fantasy teams and prepare to see a lot fo Ladell Betts Monday night.

Gibbs says Portis is still day-to-day and it will be the player's decision to play or not. Barring a complete turnaround in the next 48 hours, I wouldn't plan on him for the opener.

I really don't think it will matter if CP plays on Monday night, we have Duckett and Betts, which should be fine against the Vikings defense. I just want him to be fully recovered so that there no lingering effects when we are in the playoff hunt in November/December. Remember, Betts put up over 100 yards against the Vikes 2 years ago. In summation, I agree with most of the other people on this board, I want him healthy for week 2, forget Minnesota. :logo:

Portis Speaks

He said he's 75 percent right now, and does not want to come back until he's 100 percent.

I know in advance I will get murdered for say this but....

Portis has really started to piss me off this year, not sure exactally why but he is. We are paying this guy so much cash, I don't know.

Archived