Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Portis Speaks

This hurts. It really really hurts.

I guess the consolation here is that 2 years ago in '04 we beat the Vikes, the MUCH better vikes with Culpepper and Moss, in a game they had to win, without portis.

Betts had 114 yards and a TD. Add Duckett to the mix and I think we will be OK.

Monday Night, will be a nice day to put all of the naysayers to bed, don't you think? :)

I know in advance I will get murdered for say this but....

Portis has really started to piss me off this year, not sure exactally why but he is. We are paying this guy so much cash, I don't know.

Because he does not want to play in games that do not count?. The same games that a great majority of the players in the NFL do not want to play in?

Is it because he is injured and wants to get healthy for the bulk of the schedule?

Just curious what pisses you off about him?

I posted this on Aug 14th.................From the mega merg Portis injury thread

I hope you people are right about Portis not being injured too badly.

I don't see Portis being able to play before the third week of the season. I know exactly what he's going through, and it can be a tricky injury. It takes very little to reagrovate it if not given enough time to heal and get strong again.

I hope I'm wrong..........

It's looking more and more like this may come true after all :(

im going with smoke and mirrors on this one. i think CP will play. he may not start (to seal the ruse) but he will be active in the opener. anyone want to bet a beer on it?

Only a beer? How about a rack that he doesn't dress for monday night.

Oh, I drink Guinness ;)

Oh, I drink Guinness ;)

i pity your liver if you drink a rack of guiness in one sitting :D . but i will bet you a sixer of your guiness against a sixer of modelo especial for me that he dresses monday night.

deal?

if pete accepts all other bets are off.

i pity your liver if you drink a rack of guiness in one sitting :D . but i will bet you a sixer of your guiness against a sixer of modelo especial for me that he dresses monday night.

deal?

if pete accepts all other bets are off.

Deal it is brother...............

true but gave me time to pick up another rb in my fantasy league :)

Free ff advice, and though it's a pretty well-known strategy, not that many people use it. Pick your RBs backup in the last round. If Betts is still available and you've got Portis, well, you know what to do. Doesn't work quite so well with QBs, but I've had some success with both positions.

Portis has really started to piss me off this year, not sure exactally why but he is. We are paying this guy so much cash, I don't know.

You're a madman.

Oh, I drink Guinness ;)

If he doesn't dress, and I tend to agree, that makes things look kinda bad for the Cowboys game, doesn't it? I mean, he's still got a spot on the active roster, injured or not. If there was an absolute need and he could play a down or two, I think the coaches would have him in pads. I'd like to think he could be used in an emergency situation as-is. If it's so bad that's not an option, well... those 1 or 2 full practices might still be a week or so away.

I know in advance I will get murdered for say this but....

It's possible I'm falling for a trolling post and you're simply looking for an argument. But if you mean what you're saying, I'd venture that not only have you never played a down of organized football in your life, but that you've probably never even been the ballboy at the local country club's wizened trophy wives' tennis tourney. If an all-pro NFL running back who just set the club record for yards in a season thinks he's not ready, he's not ready. He takes and dishes out an inhuman amount of punishment over the course of a game, and you want to risk his entire season over a game against the non-division Vikings?

Am I missing some irony here? I'll admit that's more than possible; the close-reading skills fade in relation to beers consumed...

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 4:40 PM ET, 09/ 7/2006

Portis Speaks

Portis said he's about 75 percent, would not be ready to play if he had to today and sounds very skeptical about being ready for Monday. he kept talking about the long-term and not doing anything to hurt himself for the long haul by rushing back.

He said he's 75 percent right now, and does not want to come back until he's 100 percent.

When he comes back he wants to be himself, a 25-carry back, and with so much time off and so few hits under his belt, that's not him right now. Said it would probably take at least two tough practices for him to be ready to play, and, unless he was doing some serious bluffing, I'd say don't start him on your fantasy teams and prepare to see a lot fo Ladell Betts Monday night.

Gibbs says Portis is still day-to-day and it will be the player's decision to play or not. Barring a complete turnaround in the next 48 hours, I wouldn't plan on him for the opener.

Compared to John Riggins, Portis is weak-minded and willed. Riggins would rush over 30 a game all season long and not complain. Portis' shoulder popped back into place. He should play on Sunday or be cut.

excellent, dont forget the limes.

Limes :puke: Don't you forget the Rootbeer ;)

If he doesn't dress, and I tend to agree, that makes things look kinda bad for the Cowboys game, doesn't it? I mean, he's still got a spot on the active roster, injured or not. If there was an absolute need and he could play a down or two, I think the coaches would have him in pads. I'd like to think he could be used in an emergency situation as-is. If it's so bad that's not an option, well... those 1 or 2 full practices might still be a week or so away.

We have solid depth at running back, and I don't think the coaching staff will take a chance with a play or two if he's not 100%. I still haven't figured out why people see Portis being out as doom for the team. I want him on the field as bad as the next guy, but we have so many weapons on this squad. Betts, Duckett, and Rock will be able to handel the running for a game or two. I'll beat this dead horse till the season is over. It all starts up front. Doesn't matter who is running the ball, if the line can get a solid push, and open some holes, we won't gain much on the ground.

I have to think that we will set up the run with the pass to get things rolling.

Again, I'm far more concerned with the loss of Springs in the secondary.

Compared to John Riggins, Portis is weak-minded and willed. Riggins would rush over 30 a game all season long and not complain. Portis' shoulder popped back into place. He should play on Sunday or be cut.

Do you even know what the injury was? He's not a Lego man where you can just pop the shoulder back in. It puts a tremendous strain on the muscles, tendons, and ligaments around it. I'd MUCH rather have Portis stay out and get better than pull a 2004 Brunell and play through the pain.

Let me go on record saying that I'm 100% behind Brunell, but the 2004 season was ridiculous.

Compared to Riggins, Portis is about 30 lbs lighter. A bigger guy can absorb more blows. Besides (I'm not taking a shot at Riggins), even if Riggins rushed over 30 times a game all season long, he's still not the single-season holder for the most rushing yards in Redskins history. I would rather have a game changer in Portis sit out the first game of the season, against a team they shouldn't need to win, and be well rested for the let season stretch.

Archived