Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Were we always hated by the Media?

MAX POWER

Now, I am only asking this because I wanted to know if anyone can recall if it was like this before Snyder took over? I don't remember it being this bad. I don't Give a Sh*t what any Mediot thinks about us but I can't help but notice all of the negativity this team gets compared to the rest. I myself love Mr. Snyder and all the efforts and money he puts into this team it clearly shows he wants to win bad! anyway, can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks.

in the beginning there was a small clump of concentrated matter that started a chain of events called the big bang. So technically, yes there was a time the media didn't hate us; however time did not exist yet. Eventually, a meteor hit the earth and destroyed the dinosaurs and fat reptiles like Lenny P have been bitter ever since.

In all honesty, the beef between the Post and the skins started at the end of Cooke's life when Cooke was angry about the coverage of his failed stadium attempts in DC and Virginia. Snyder then took it to another level when he bought the team and then brought in Deion, Jeff George...

it's ironic that men and women die for things like freedom of the press; and the press has grown so biased not just in something as trivial as football that all i want is freedom FROM the press.

in the beginning there was a small clump of concentrated matter that started a chain of events called the big bang. So technically, yes there was a time the media didn't hate us; however time did not exist yet. Eventually, a meteor hit the earth and destroyed the dinosaurs and fat reptiles like Lenny P have been bitter ever since.

In all honesty, the beef between the Post and the skins started at the end of Cooke's life when Cooke was angry about the coverage of his failed stadium attempts in DC and Virginia. Snyder then took it to another level when he bought the team and then brought in Deion, Jeff George...

it's ironic that men and women die for things like freedom of the press; and the press has grown so biased not just in something as trivial as football that all i want is freedom FROM the press.

Well, I do know that Snyder is very disliked and it has alot to do with him now.

thanks, for the info though.:)

I think a lot of it comes from Daniel Snyder because they have an owner that doesn't mind to spend money. But you know what man who cares let them hate. It's funny to me once the season start they will be eating their words. I like the fact that no one is paying us any attention and predicting a bad season. It will make things even sweeter.

I have lived all over the country and one thing I have found out that the Redskins are not well liked, even when we were winning Super Bowls we did not get respect.

I have learned to live with it and it makes it the more sweater when we win!

Our greatest WR who was the NFL’s all time leading receiver when he retired and the first to have a 100+ catch season can not get in the freaking Hall of Fame!

:soapbox:

I think another reason is because we never really had the arrogant or flashy players like the Cowboys. Riggo danced to a different drummer :laugh: but overall this wasn't an attractive team to market. They just didn't have the arrogance they were a bunch of blue collar guys that worked hard. There was no superstars.

Recommended reading if you haven't seen this yet. :)

Long profile on Snyder, not yet published....

Synder has done a lot for the Redskins, loves this team, and does a lot of good that goes unnoticed. His reward? has gotten a bad rap; unfortunatley a lie is the same as the truth if people perceive it to be. He and we will have the last laugh when we go to the SB.

:dallasuck

I have lived all over the country and one thing I have found out that the Redskins are not well liked, even when we were winning Super Bowls we did not get respect.

I have learned to live with it and it makes it the more sweater when we win!

Our greatest WR who was the NFL’s all time leading receiver when he retired and the first to have a 100+ catch season can not get in the freaking Hall of Fame!

:soapbox:

yes, there's always been dislike for us.

I think really what it is - computers and the wave of internet media starting exploding in the late '90's which is the same time Snyder arrived on the scene.

20 years ago it was just a few newspapers and magazines - now it's hundreds of places with the internet.

Synder has done a lot for the Redskins, loves this team, and does a lot of good that goes unnoticed. His reward? has gotten a bad rap; unfortunatley a lie is the same as the truth if people perceive it to be. He and we will have the last laugh when we go to the SB.

:dallasuck

Yeah, so Dr. Z, King, Pastabelly, and the rest of the media can have the same headline: "Snyder's Super Bowl Purchase Finalized"

I can ASSURE you here in Texas..........the SKINS have ALWAYS been hated.

And I just love it!!!

Blondie

Not in all of Texas I do have a cousin down there in Dallas of all places is a die -hard Skins fan he was born and raised in Dallas too well at least he has good taste:laugh: :laugh:

Not in all of Texas I do have a cousin down there in Dallas of all places is a die -hard Skins fan he was born and raised in Dallas too well at least he has good taste:laugh: :laugh:

Uh............there are lots of us here.

I have lived here In the Dallas area all my life.

The SKINS are hated here........there are SKINS fans here.........but that is not what my original post meant.

Blondie

the Redskins were never among the 'favorite' teams of the media.

this goes way back to the 1970's when Phyllis George and Jimmy the Greek were on the NFL Today show and were clearly Dallas Cowboys fans who extolled Landry and deingrated the Skins at every turn.

then on Monday Night football you had an ex-Cowboy in Don Meredith doing the games and the same bias showed through when Dallas was playing the Redskins.

Something definitely happenned between Joe Gibbs' retirement and the present day. Case in point, Len Pasquarelli and Peter King:

-=-=-=-=-=-

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/len-pasquarelli/

Atlanta Journal-Constitution

January 24, 1992

Skins' single-minded Gibbs no ordinary Joe

Len Pasquarelli

His career record, 129-57, including 14-4 in the postseason, makes him the league's No. 2 active coach in terms of winning percentage, behind San Francisco's George Seifert. Of course, Seifert has compiled his .792 percentage in only three seasons; Gibbs has achieved his .693 mark in 11. With Chuck Noll having retired from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Gibbs ranks second only to Miami's Don Shula among active head coaches in longevity with one club. Shula has 11 years on him, having begun with the Dolphins in 1970.

Clearly, Gibbs is no ordinary Joe.

-=-=-=-=-=-

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1702628

ESPN.com

Jan. 8, 2004

Gibbs could be in for bumpy ride

Len Pasquarelli

As the O.J. Simpson trial demonstrated, once they add the bronze to the statue and spit-polish the bust, it's difficult indeed to get booted out of the Hall of Fame.

Lucky thing for Joe Gibbs.

While a jury acquitted Simpson, there's no way Gibbs isn't guilty of at least dubious judgment, and he'd do well to plead nolo cotendere to charges he has taken leave of his senses. Makes you wonder if Gibbs, 11 seasons removed from the NFL sideline, has inhaled too many fumes while standing behind his fleet of NASCAR entries.

-=-=-=-=-=-

http://artmonk.wordpress.com/hall-of-fame-voters/peter-king/

Sports Illustrated

Inside the NFL; The Art of Receiving

December 3, 1990

Peter King

Art Monk eschews interviews, so NFL fans know little about him — except his numbers, which certainly speak well of his 11-year career as a Redskins wide receiver. Monk is third on the list of alltime pass receivers, with 707 career catches, which put him 43 behind Charlie Joiner and 112 behind Steve Largent’s NFL-record 819. If Monk, whose five receptions in a 27-17 loss to the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day increased his season total to 45, remains healthy and continues to catch passes at the same pace that he has the past two seasons — 4.8 receptions a game — he’ll pass Largent in Week 3 of the 1992 season. Monk had the most productive first 10 years of any receiver in NFL history.

-=-=-=-=-=-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1999/10/14/mailbag/

Sports Illustrated SI.com

NFL Mailbag

Thursday October 14, 1999

Peter King

That’s right. I do have major reservations on Monk’s credentials for the Hall of Fame. I believe I’m right on the statistical data that I’m about to quote. A few years ago, when Monk was in his last season, I started doing a little bit of research on him and I was shocked to see that, despite his high number of catches, Monk had led his own team in receiving in just six of 16 years as an NFL player, and that he was voted All-Pro in only two of 16 years. To me, membership in the Hall of Fame is a tremendous privilege and honor. I will not say here or in any public place before Monk is considered for the Hall whether I believe he belongs, because as one of 36 selectors I don’t give my opinion on whether a player should or should not be in before we enter the meeting. After the meeting, I’ll be happy to give my opinion. I’m just saying right now I will need to be persuaded when Art Monk comes up for the Hall of Fame that he belongs. I think fans sometimes have a hard time in separating somebody who they think belongs in the Hall of Fame with someone who might belong in the Hall of Very Good.

Archived