Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most Unbearable Offseason In Redskins History?

SkinsNoles21

Although I am only 22 years old, and do not have as many offseasons under my belt as some of you...I'm tempted to say this is one of the worst, if not the worst offseason in Redskins history.

By worst, I don't mean anything that has to do with the Redskins franchise, Im talking about how unbearable the offseason becomes for the fans, waiting for the season to FINALLY begin.

Waiting for the Redskins season to begin is like getting excited for Christmas in July....there is still a loooong time to go. Since the last second ticked off the clock in the Seattle game, the arrival of the new season has been anticipated by every Skins fan out there. However, what has made this offseason feel like its taking FOREVER, is all of the things that have taken place during the six months of down time.

My top five reasons why this is the longest freaking offseason ever are:

1) Through eleven games last season the Redskins were 5-6...meaning after 11 weeks of the season, our team was not looking at the playoffs and were not playing particularly well. The last seven weeks of the season, including the Seattle loss, were amazing. But because everything started so late for the Skins...It left fans wanting more!!! We want to see a whole season of that amazing football because it was great to watch and be a part of. After such a strong finish, we want an equally strong start to 06', and we want it now. The offseason is a bunch of months getting in the way.

2) The Redskins made significant upgrades in the offseason. Regardless of the price, no one can deny the fact that the talent was raised not only on the field, but also in the coaching staff. I don't need to tell you who was brought in this offseason, you already know. When you add this much talent and experience to a team that ended on such a hot streak....BEFORE THE END OF MARCH. That is just way to much time in between seasons. I may be off with the March thing, but you catch my drift. We loaded up early on, and now we are forced to wait...................................................................

3) Al Saunders Offense...The talk about the offense is so up and down right now, because no one really knows. Some are worried its to complicated, some are worried its the talent, some think we are gonna score 100 points a game. Never has the talk about the offense been this bananas. The talk goes from the highest of highs, to the lowest of lows. Thats a huge difference.

4) All the love for the division from the media. Every time you turn on Sportscenter its talk about the Cowboys or Eagles. This crap needs to end and coverage of something real needs to begin. Like matchups and games, the media is getting more and more involved with every fascet of the NFL and it just makes the wait even more unbearable....especially when its all about TO:doh:

5) The 0-4 preseason. I for one am not worried. However, I understand the doubt because seeing is believing and right now all we see is us getting dominated.

You know how some kids got to open one present on christmas eve, just to hold them over till the morning. Well I never got to, and this is exactly what that feels like. We here all this talk about a high powered offense and an unpenetrable defense, and we dont even get a tiny glimpse of anything close.

All we see is a christmas tree, bare underneath, with nothing to shake and no presents to count....

As a kid you only had one thing. Faith. Faith that when you go to sleep and wake up in the morning, the tree will be filled with presents underneath that Santa delivered. You believed in something and it came true...

As Redskins fans, during the most unbearable offseason of all time, and a preseason that gave us nothing to cling too, or hold us over until the real games begin, all we can do now is believe that Joe Gibbs, Al Saunders, Gregg Williams, the extremely deep and experienced coaching staff, and rediculously loaded group of players......will get it done.

I have a feeling that when christmas morning arrives on September 11th @ 7:00 p.m. We will find that Santa brings us everything we asked for....and maybe more.....

Like a ring....:logo:

It's strange because as much as I've been anticipating this season, I find myself mildly disinterested in football as a whole right now. It hardly seems like this entire thing begins, for real, in just over a week. I'll be watching on the 11th, however, and I know that from then on I'll be hooked, as always.

Yea I have that exact same feeling, i think its just the preseason was so boring and nothing positive came from it to look forward to.

Interesting take. I believe we're starting to look like the Yankees. There's really nothing wrong with getting guys, paying them money, and having the goals set forth to give yourself a shot at a title. You can't buy championships, but you can bring in guys that fit your ball club. No crime here. The only downside is the expectation level. The expectations are so high for most of us that the low can be very hard to deal with. If we shine, as we should, than all is well. If we fail, than it's back to the drawing board. The key difference here is that we're dealing with Joe Gibbs. He doesn't know what will happen just like the rest of us. The offseason was brutle and it was worth beans in the win column. With that said, I trust that Gibbs has put together a good team that will give us as much of a shot at a title as any of the big guns in the league. Christmas arrived in February of 2004. For me it has been like running down the steps on Christmas morning ever since.

HTTR!

"I realized, ever since I started watching football, every single offseason in my life has been worse than the offseason before it. So that means that every offseason is the worst offseason in my life."

"What about this offseason, is this the worst offseason of your life?"

"Yeah..."

"Wow, that's messed up."

In the words of the most wisened of sages,

Relax kid. It's only preseason.

And i know those words are being thrown around, but it's true.

Preseason IS the worst time of year for a football fan, because you desperately want to see something you can wrap your hope in.

HOWEVER, you must take into consideration that you don't know what it is you're seeing out there on the field. It's practice, and that is all they are doing... practicing.

we don't know wht they are practicing.

For example, this preseason, they gave Adam Archuletta a LOT of practice single covering TEs and slot receivers. As we saw, he failed miserably in many instances.

Typical fan says "OH NO! We stink!"

Fan who knows says.. "Good, now Williams sees he can't do it and won't leave him out there like that in the regular season.(We hope)" He also says "Archuletta is bad in single covereage,, these are four games that he can use to work on it without anything counting."

Typical fan sees our offense struggle, and says "OH NO! We suck! Brunell stinks! I hope he gets hurt! (as another thread did)

But as we've heard ad-nauseum from our coaching staff, they aren't using any of Al Saunders' offense. They are running as basic a set of plays as there can be, and they're leaving their OL out on islands to get them work on picking up various things.

Typical fan says "BUT they need these games to practice what they're going to do!"

Fan who knows says "No they don't. They've been together as a unit since April, have had no holdouts, everyone has particpated in all workouts. they've been working on this offense now for almost five months. If the staff felt it necessary t0 run it live, they would have. But they are confident in their course, and considering that we have a HOFer at the top and 2 bona-fide head coaches running each unit, I'd say they can be trusted to know.

And also, bear this in mind. Even if the Redskins come out of the gate sluggish,, even if the unthinkable happens and they lose a few of the first games.. it's a LONG season, and Gibbs teams ALWAYS roll in the end. Note that last year in the early going, Pittsburgh looked like anything BUT a playoff team. And the year before, NE went 0-2 right out of the chute, and got blown out by Buffalo in the process.

So, young fan, take these words for the truth that they contain.

It's ONLY preseason.

~Bang

Relax kid it will be alright you will see. I can't say this is the most unbearable off season . They went 0-4 in 82 during the pre-season and they ended up in the superbowl. Gibbs never had a good pre-season record if you go back track his history pre-season than reg. season. You will see most of the time he had a losing record in pre-season he wind up having a great reg. season.

"I realized, ever since I started watching football, every single offseason in my life has been worse than the offseason before it. So that means that every offseason is the worst offseason in my life."

"What about this offseason, is this the worst offseason of your life?"

"Yeah..."

"Wow, that's messed up."

What's that from? I recognize the clip from a Clinton Sparks CD just before a Joe Buddens song. Is that what your referring to, or is it a scene in a famous movie that I have never seen?

BigRay and Bang.....did you read all of the original poster's message? He wasn't talking about the poor preseason play--he was talking about how awful it has been to wait from last January to this point.

Right. No need to tell him to relax! I too, thought it was another post about how horrible the preseason was, but really you've got some good points about why it was the longest perhaps, but not the worst.

I have to agree, finishing on the high note, aquiring the talent early, and then the all the conjecture about Al Saunder's offense - running the gamut from "do we have the talent to execute?" to the 100 points a game. Then the preseason. It all adds up to a huge waiting game.

It just seems like this has taken forever!

Can't wait for Christmas morning!!!

Archived