Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you PERSUADE your KIDS to like the REDSKINS?

LightenupSandyBaby

I am in the same situation in that my son (5 years old), is very independent minded, which I love. However, he says that he likes the Eagles, which drives me up the wall. Now I realize that things could be worse, he could be a Cowgirl fan. I think he really likes the eagle on the hats and the wings on their helmet. Mind you, he can't name one player. Check that, when I asked him the other day, he told me "the Freak", to which I responded "that's not his name. :laugh:

Anyway, I don't impose my love for the burgundy and gold on him, with the hopes that this is a passing fancy. There is one thing that I think we all need to understand though. For those of us in our late thirties, early forties, the days of most people being fans of the local team have probably gone. You now have so many different channels, which leads people to following many different teams. Couple that with all of the marketing of football paraphernalia, and now you have a new breed of fan. People follow players almost as much as they follow teams.

I wish I had a better suggestion, but unfortunately, especially these days, many so called fans change with each passing season.

I have two boys ages 12 & 12...they both enjoy Football, but they both cannot seem to root for the Skins. They both grew up during the post Gibbs first era and inbetween the second era. As you already know they witnessed a whole lot of losing seasons. I have tried to show them old videos, told them stories of the games I witnessed at RFK, but they both still won't jump onto the Bandwagon!!

To make things worse....After preaching to them that only the 3rd game of the Pre-Season means anything; they witnesses the TOTAL BLOWOUT game last night. I really thought I might have a chance in converting them into DIE HARD Skin Fans, but now I feel it's doomed.

Somebody with the same situation, or someone whom overcame this problem...PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

:doh: :cry:

Man I feel for ya. Luckily my son has heard enuf of my stories fromt ehold days to realize it's the pathetic players now, and given some time Gibbs will repalce the lsoers and turn the ship around. It will take him a few years to build the dynasty back.

If you want them to root for the skins, you might have to trick them come game time and run tapes from the hawg's days. Let them think that's the team and the game. Once the hawgs have won their hearts you can update them bit by bit on the sad news of current status.:laugh:

My dad did something right, I'm more addicted to the Skins then he is, and I grew up during the Turner, Spurrier Era. I have only seen 2 successful Redskin seasons in my life. [Actually 3, but I was just over 1, and was crying the whole time the redskins were winning the Superbowl. Crying of joy I hope] Anyways, my advice is, for say, if Mom says bed time is at 10, or whatever, let them stay up, only to watch the redskins prime time games. If you have have a set time homework must be done, maybe let them go a little later, only if they watch the redskins games, and they'll be like oh, fine whatever but they will soon get hooked. Maybe, if there's a local bar that allows kids in to watch game or a neighbor who has a crowd or something, take them to an environment where watching the game is a party, not just sitting on the sofa.. [even to me its way more then sitting on the sofa.] But to them it probably is. Just make watching the Redskins more fun then watching any other team. And be like The mom is the Waterboy.. "Champ Bailey IS THE DEVIL!"

There's really only one way; go out of your way to share the experience with them. I have been a dyed-in-the-wool 'Skins fan for 40 years and now live in the heart of Eagles' territory. My 6 year-old son, who wears his heart on his sleeve has become a Redskins fan. This was a really tough sell until I took him to his first game last year. In the middle of the game he asked for my cell phone to call his mother so that he could inform her that he was no longer an Eagles fan. This was a real moment for me. He has since joined me at the Christmas Eve game against the G-women and we spent a day at training camp this summer.

I understand that tickets are expensive and that not everyone has the same means; but I really believe the same results can be had by sharing your Redskins moments with your children. When I was 4 or 5 years-old, my grandfather from Virginia spent a lot of time doing just that. He couldn't afford tickets, but he visited often and we spent a lot of time watching games together. He was my hero, I knew how he felt about the game and the Redskins, and I naturally followed eventhough the Colts were the local favorite at the time. My son has done the same eventhough he lives in the middle of the Eagles' nest.

Good luck and I look forward to an exciting season spent with my son.

I guess it could be worst...I would probably do physical harm if my children ever liked the eagles!! My one son kind of liked T.O. when he had that break out year in philly. I'm glad T.O. was such a punk, and he saw right through his personality. Good Luck to you too! Hail to the redskins!

My dad did something right, I'm more addicted to the Skins then he is, and I grew up during the Turner, Spurrier Era. I have only seen 2 successful Redskin seasons in my life. [Actually 3, but I was just over 1, and was crying the whole time the redskins were winning the Superbowl. Crying of joy I hope] Anyways, my advice is, for say, if Mom says bed time is at 10, or whatever, let them stay up, only to watch the redskins prime time games. If you have have a set time homework must be done, maybe let them go a little later, only if they watch the redskins games, and they'll be like oh, fine whatever but they will soon get hooked. Maybe, if there's a local bar that allows kids in to watch game or a neighbor who has a crowd or something, take them to an environment where watching the game is a party, not just sitting on the sofa.. [even to me its way more then sitting on the sofa.] But to them it probably is. Just make watching the Redskins more fun then watching any other team. And be like The mom is the Waterboy.. "Champ Bailey IS THE DEVIL!"

Thnak You very Much!! Your advice considering your age and experience sounds really good. I will defintely try to use some of those tactics with my kids. Sincere gratitude for your post!

Pay a gang of kids to pretend and jump your boys on their way home from.....somewhere. Half of them, wearing Bronco & Dolphin jerseys, do the initial attack. Then just before they actually use the switchblades, have the remaining kids, all dressed in Redskin gear, come to the rescue.

Or, when they hit say, 13-14yrs old, you hire a couple of hot hookers, dress them in Redskin cheerleader uniforms and, well, you know. :D

I am in the same situation in that my son (5 years old), is very independent minded, which I love. However, he says that he likes the Eagles, which drives me up the wall.

Anyway, I don't impose my love for the burgundy and gold on him, with the hopes that this is a passing fancy. There is one thing that I think we all need to understand though. For those of us in our late thirties, early forties, the days of most people being fans of the local team have probably gone.

I had the same exact situation with my independent minded, then 4-yr old son. I took it as a test.

I imposed my will and today I have a 7-yr old, die-hard Redskin fan with a Redskin bedroom that would make Joe Gibbs blush.

He's my youngest, and gets away with way too much. But not that.

I have two boys ages 12 & 12...they both enjoy Football, but they both cannot seem to root for the Skins. They both grew up during the post Gibbs first era and inbetween the second era. As you already know they witnessed a whole lot of losing seasons. I have tried to show them old videos, told them stories of the games I witnessed at RFK, but they both still won't jump onto the Bandwagon!!

To make things worse....After preaching to them that only the 3rd game of the Pre-Season means anything; they witnesses the TOTAL BLOWOUT game last night. I really thought I might have a chance in converting them into DIE HARD Skin Fans, but now I feel it's doomed.

Somebody with the same situation, or someone whom overcame this problem...PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.

My six year old is already a Skins fan, I bought him jerseys and hats and of course took him with me to watch the games when not on national TV. My question for you is this, and don't take it the wrong way. Did you start them out rooting for the Skins? If not, what team did you expect them to root for? It seems as though you waited because of how the team was doing at the time. I could be wrong, but if I am not, it will be nearly impossible to change them now. If you did everything that you could have early on and it still ended up this way, then back off and let them be kids. Someday they will come back to you if you don't force the issue on them.

Train a child in the way that they should go and when they grow they will not depart from it.

My 4 year old is completely and hopelessly brainwashed to love the Redskins. He laughs at Dallas whenever he sees them, and gets excited everytime he sees that Burgundy and Gold. I also collect Redskins trading cards and he spends a lot of time going through my folders asking me about certain players. And he can readily identify Clinton Portis, in and out of uniform.

That's my boy!:D

You've got to take them to Fed Ex as often as possible and let them enjoy the entire experience beginning with tailgating and then have them feel the rush of 95,000 frenzied fans all rejoicing in victory together.

That'll get there juices flowing!

I have an 11 yr old who could care less about football until he experienced a few games last year. Now he is coming around to embrace the Redskins. I imagine that after this season he will be completely brainwashed if my master plan works.

I wish I could help...I think I'll be in a worse boat when I have children. Just for the simple fact that my girl is a Cowboy fan, and she's gonna try just as hard to try to get them to be a Cowboys fan, as I am with pushing them to be Redskin fans. How did you become a Skins fan?

Sanfan, you are only nineteen, I assume you are not married yet and have both legs, so you have two options; A) cut her tongue out, this will help out in more ways than one, B) Run brother, RUN> :laugh:

You dont give them a choice. You dont allow them to cheer for or buy any other teams stuff or wins

My son occasionally tests me. I'll be watching Sportscenter or NFL network and he'll come into the room and scream "Go Cowboys". As I jump off the couch after him he runs cackling all the way to his bedroom with me in chase. He also does the same thing when I'm watching a race (we're big Tony Stewart fans). He'll be watching the race and say something like "I want Jimmy Johnson to win" or "I want Jeff Gordon to win". And then immediately starts laughing as I give him the "evil eye".

By the way, he can identify, Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon (aka Rainbow Princess at our house), Jimmy Johnson, Kurt & Kyle Busch, Casey Kahne, Dale Jr., and Denny Hamlin. He knows what they drive and what they themselves look like. There are probably others too.

The trick is start young, and if it is important to you it will be important to them.

p.s. I've also threatened to make him walk home from Walmart for saying he wanted the Cowboys to beat the Redskins. When the car stopped on the side of the road, his story changed. He still has a good laugh about that one.

hey im only 14 and i dont know what my parents did but when i got into football i loved the redskins more then anything lol i get excited erry year to be disspointed but still erryear i would come back and watch again (ever since i was 10 wow 4 years but still) and last year we actually did good yay lol but i dont know what to say to get your kids into the redskins fans...

Archived