Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What did Mike Ditka Say?

Hail_to_Kessel

He said that when he played he played the whole year with a seperated shoulder and that CP should suck it up and play ball.

Ditka is such a throw back, that is really the only answer he could give. Additionally, anyone that is bagging his play needs to go look at the numbers he put up and remember the physicality of the game when he played. The guy was a beast, plain and simple. Conversely, this is a different time and there is no way Portis should see action before the regular season. As far as saying he shouldn't have been on the field goes, he was in the moment when he said it. I mean really, you know how jacked up you are as a fan for the season? Try to consider how jacked up he is, as one of the premier guys in the NFL!! It has to be chewing up his guts to be out even now. So he gave a sound bite in an emotional moment, it's understandable......... Just not to Ditka :D

If Portis is cleared by the doctors, he will play against the Vikings. Portis plays hurt and will run into the pile full speed without thinking twice. Portis is one tought SOB and cares more about the team winning a game then his carries and yards.

ditka also made CP his first rb selection in the fantasy draft ESPN conducted the other day despite the other ESPNers screaming he was out of his mind. he is a CP advocate.

Who was screaming? TJ questioned the pick, but he's an idiot. That draft was such a joke. It's an 8 team league, and their teams still don't look good. I think Mcnabb was the 7th or 8th qb drafted! Even after Trent Green. And Reggie Bush was taken in the first round, while Ditka picked the Bears in the second or third! It's obvious those guys don't know fantasy football.

As for Portis, he's just dissapointed that he has to go into the season hurt, and he's obviously been a vocal person so this shouldn't come as a surprise. He clearly played hurt last year and will tough it out this season too.

uh huh.

just out of curiousity...how many have the following resume:

- all pro

- SB victory as a player

- SB victory as a coach

Personality aside...you can't debate the resume. it speaks for itself. credit where credit is due.

You left out Hall of Fame. Ditka was a great player and a very, very good coach but sometimes he's a little over the top in his analysis at times.

I was blessed enough to play college football, and I seperated my shoulder on the first play of my first start. It feels like someone stepping on your shoulder and never getting off. There is a lot of pressure and can be painful when hit again. I think that it can be played through but my concern is that one good shot will dislocate the shoulder and that is more painful than a seperation. I say use the other RB support and the CP get to 95 - 100 percent before he plays again.

BP

Everyone gets to decide who they respect and who do not.

Ditka played and coached in a NFL that was considerably more physical, in my opinion, than today's game. While I do not always agree with his opinions I more often that not find him more entertaining than most if not all of the other people who give their opinions on sports.

OK. Thanks.

Cheers

ditka also made CP his first rb selection in the fantasy draft ESPN conducted the other day despite the other ESPNers screaming he was out of his mind. he is a CP advocate.

Great. Just like he made Ricky Williams his big pick when it really counted.

:doh: I say bad karma for CP. :(

I was blessed enough to play college football, and I seperated my shoulder on the first play of my first start. It feels like someone stepping on your shoulder and never getting off. There is a lot of pressure and can be painful when hit again. I think that it can be played through but my concern is that one good shot will dislocate the shoulder and that is more painful than a seperation. I say use the other RB support and the CP get to 95 - 100 percent before he plays again.

BP

Amen. Acquiring Duckett will help us do that.

No one is doubting Ditka as a player. In my first post i said he is Out of Touch, and he is.

"In my day" is his favorite phrase.

it isn't his day.

And as to what Payton and Ryan did for him.. who cares what Payton did in the Super Bowl, the fact ditka inherited the best RB in NFL history stands for something, and Ryan's defense is why he won anything at all.

Ryan went on to Philly where he turned them into a team that won 10 or more games five years in a row. He made them an annual playoff team. He made their defense into a unit that is STILL the reason why Philly's D has a tough reputation.

Ditka went on to Noew Orleans where he proceeded to make mistake after mistake after mistake.

As i said.

OUT OF TOUCH.

and no, he didn't really bad mouth Portis ,, but Portis is the catalyst. I'm more griping over his 'analysis' of how money changes things, Of course it does, but to only look at one side of it and make the players out to be Prima donnas is not doing you, the football listener, any good. (Nor do I recall Mike or Mike asking him about the other sides of this money issue... so it's realy not his fault.)

I like Ditka, he's fun on TV. As one guy said, he talks SO fast,, sometimes he clips words in half.

I happen to think on this particular issue, and in player issues altogether he's out of touch with the modern day, and really not qualified to comment on it in any capacity other than "old coot ****ing about yester-year"

~Bang

Who was screaming? TJ questioned the pick, but he's an idiot. That draft was such a joke. It's an 8 team league, and their teams still don't look good. I think Mcnabb was the 7th or 8th qb drafted! Even after Trent Green. And Reggie Bush was taken in the first round, while Ditka picked the Bears in the second or third! It's obvious those guys don't know fantasy football.

As for Portis, he's just dissapointed that he has to go into the season hurt, and he's obviously been a vocal person so this shouldn't come as a surprise. He clearly played hurt last year and will tough it out this season too.

Nick Bakkai(Sp?) was the only one who knew what he was doing? That's why he won it all last year!

Exactly. If this team has a great year, are Williams and Portis more responsible than Gibbs then? After all, if this team didn't have the defense it does, or Portis toting the rock, we wouldn't even have CLOSE to a winning record last year. :2cents:

Bingo! Hit it dead on the nail!

Ditka also played a less demanding position, tight end.

I dont know if I would necessairily say that...if he wasnt getting hit after catching a pass, hitting a linebacker to release, he was blocking which with a seperated shoulder I would imagine would hurt badly. Thats pain on almost every play.

Did anyone here what Mike Ditka said about Clinton Portis that Mike and Mike were going on and on about at around 8:20 this morning? I missed what he said. Any help would be greatly appricated!

BK :point2sky

This is probably too late in the game here, but you guys don't have the complete picture.

What Ditka said was preseason is needed to get into "football shape". He explained that all the conditioning drills and weight lifting in the world is not enough for players to get ready for the pounding NFL players take. He used V. Lombardi's phrase "Football is not a contact sport… It's a collision sport" and players need to get readjusted every year to going full steam, getting knock to the ground, getting up and going full speed ahead again.

In regards to CP, he seemed disappointed that this opinion was lost on the younger players like him, who want to dismiss the importance of the preseason after getting hurt making one tackle. That's when he went on to mention that in his day, they played 6 preseason games and how he played with a separated shoulder.

I know some mind are already made up to defend CP and Blast Ditka, but I wanted to give you guys a clearer picture of what he said. M&M were just spicing things up so you listen.

why get on mike ditka. he is old school, and love those old school guys. of course i am rather old myself, and proud of it. the cliche those were the days. i dont knock portis for his opinion on exhibition games. we all know this is the big chance for owners to get their full cash return. by the same token, there are a lot of pro athletes, in this era, that will not play hurt. and considering the money they are making, it is shameful. i dont mean broken legs or arms, but the nicks, bruises, twisted ankles, backs, i remember the good ones played with. i remember a great one here with the skins, larry brown. nothing kept him out of the game, he was 190 pounds soaking wet, and ran like a fullback. players today in all pro sports have little heart to suck it up and play the game. i think portis is the type to play hurt, and i also would like to see the exhibition games done away with.

the trouble with that approach RONNIX is that then you have a franchise player like Larry Brown whose knees are shot at age 28 and you shorten a guy's career unnecessarily.

with the cap today head coaches have to manage their players' careers because it is not only performances but dollars that count.

a guy like Portis is a $17 million investment for the Redskins. for the Skins cap situation to remain tenable, the major investments such as Portis have to continue playing at a high level. this includes Chris Samuels, Springs, Griffin, Washington, Jansen, Moss, etc.

when a guy is down with an injury you don't coddle him but if it is legit you do measure out his carries and judge when to use him and when not to.

the longevity of a lot of Gibbs' players from his first stint as head coach are a testament to the players' work ethic but also the team's training regime and the coach's prudent management of the players' injuries.

Ditka also played a less demanding position, tight end.

Running back is the position where players take the most punishment.

Look at the average length of careers in the NFL at the various positions. Running backs always have the highest attrition rate.

That's what makes 33 year old 1,000 yard rushers like John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, etc. so special, that they had the durability to last in the NFL for 11 or 12 years.

Also, I am sick and tired of seeing Ditka sit up there and act as if he was the greatest player and coach in NFL history.

His Bears' team fell from the ranks of the elite after Buddy Ryan left. He was a failure in New Orleans. Remember he was the guy that traded for Heath Shuler and gave the Redskins an entire draft of picks for the right to draft Ricky Williams.

As a player his Dallas teams most often lost to the Colts or Packers in the playoffs.

Remember the Cowboys at one time were known as the team that just couldn't win it all.

Those were his teams.

Tight End being a less demanding position in the 60's and 70's when Ditka was playing for Da Bears and the Cowturds? I cant agree with you on that. More punishment was dished out back then. They only hit 1/10th as hard now as they did back then.

Archived