Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What did Mike Ditka Say?

Hail_to_Kessel

Ditka also played a less demanding position, tight end.

Running back is the position where players take the most punishment.

Look at the average length of careers in the NFL at the various positions. Running backs always have the highest attrition rate.

That's what makes 33 year old 1,000 yard rushers like John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, etc. so special, that they had the durability to last in the NFL for 11 or 12 years.

Also, I am sick and tired of seeing Ditka sit up there and act as if he was the greatest player and coach in NFL history.

His Bears' team fell from the ranks of the elite after Buddy Ryan left. He was a failure in New Orleans. Remember he was the guy that traded for Heath Shuler and gave the Redskins an entire draft of picks for the right to draft Ricky Williams.

As a player his Dallas teams most often lost to the Colts or Packers in the playoffs.

Remember the Cowboys at one time were known as the team that just couldn't win it all.

Those were his teams.

I love Ditka :applause:

He was one of the few analysts last year to hitch his wagon to Joe Gibbs. He understood exactly what Joe Gibbs is building here.

Ditka knows what Gibbs is capable of. When the mediots were dismissing the Redskins' victory over the Cowboys in Week 2 a fluke, Ditka was picking them to win the East. After all, he coached against Gibbs. ;)

He said that when he played he played the whole year with a seperated shoulder and that CP should suck it up and play ball.

ahh ok thanks guys....man, sometimes I can't stand MIke and Mike and their annoying voices. They made it seem like it was something that WE ALL MUST HEAR. What's the deal with the ****ty music they play all the time on that show?

ahh ok thanks guys....man, sometimes I can't stand MIke and Mike and their annoying voices. They made it seem like it was something that WE ALL MUST HEAR. What's the deal with the ****ty music they play all the time on that show?

Would you prefer they played Hard Metal or Country Music- Nah, I'll stick to the music that does hurt my ear drums or make me depressed!

then he should realize that while Portis WILL go out there and play as hard as he can for 16 weeks that he could suffer a re-injury to the joint area and have to undergo surgery.

Portis was frustrated that he got hurt in a preseason game. If anyone took his post-game comments to mean he was going to back off during the regular season, they just don't know Portis.

But the body has its limits. Hence the trade for Duckett. Now Ladell Betts can be prodded to get back on the field and put in his reps and get over these nagging injuries :)

Ditka's an idiot.

Yay. You played with a seperated shoulder. I'm sure we're all proud of you. Portis will play, pain or not. If anyone doubts his heart of courage, they're BADLY mistaken. He'll play. But not in the preseason.

Ditka also went on to blame this on the money issue,, namely the money players are making and saying that because they're now so valuable they listen to their own personal advisors before they listen to the coach.

Which may be true to an extent, but Peabrain Mike fails to graps the other side of the money argument, namely the money owners make off this cash cow they call 'preseason".

The preseason is 4 more games of full priced ticket that they can sell for money that is NOT part of the collective bargaining, the 2 owners of the teams in the game split the proceeds. They force these tickets on season ticket holders at full price, so a boycott won't work.. unless they don't want their season tickets.

Ditka is a guy who we last saw trade his entire draft to pick Ricky Williams, then negotiated a contract with Puff Daddy for a football player.

The words "Seriously Out Of Touch" come to mind.

~Bang

I could stand a lot more of Mike Ditka and a lot less of Mike and Mike.

Or less of anyone else in the DC market covering sports.

Just me.

I always think 'What Would Ditka Say" when I heard the drivel that our local sports voices expouse when they take up a topic.

WWDS---What Would Ditka Say

ditka also made CP his first rb selection in the fantasy draft ESPN conducted the other day despite the other ESPNers screaming he was out of his mind. he is a CP advocate.

I'm going to bump this post down since none of you seemed to notice it.

yep, towards the end of his career. Ditka also played on a number of teams that lost the 'big game' over the early years in Dallas. My point was that Ditka came off as implying that Portis would be a wimp for even contemplating the pain he most likely will have to play in 2006. As if playing tight end at the time he played is the same as taking 25-30 handoffs in the NFL as a premium back :laugh:

again, Portis was not trying to alibi himself. He was more frustrated that he felt the injury might cause him be at less than maximum 100% over the course of the year and felt bad because the team was counting on him to be even better in 2006 than he was in 2005.

In fact, to touch on my mention of Ricky williams, when it was apparnt that Ricky had a serious issue with depression, wouldn't take off his helmet, wouldn't talk to people,, "Iron" Mike helped the situation along by telling everyone in the media how depression and mental problems were ridiculous, and again with how in his day he played with a broken skull and yadda yadda yadda.

Boy, he sure coached ol' Ricky up into a hell of a player, huh?

Ditka- Bull in a china shop

Buddy Ryan and Walter Payton are the only reason anyone believes Ditka's credentials

~Bang

Wow, the hate for Ditka is taking me by surprise.

He's the only one on the espn 'panel' (gameday, ESPN2) that had our back last year. He knows Gibbs, he respects him, and he called it very early last year... the Redskins would be a team to deal with down the stretch.

As for TE... it's a VERY physical position. You're pulling/leading on the running plays, and sacrificing yourself over the middle on passing plays.

And just because Ditka was the only NFL coach back in the day to realize the genius of Buddy Ryan and give him a shot with his revolutionary defense, I don't think that should be viewed as a bad thing. The best leaders/coaches surround themselves with people that are better than themselves. Gibbs is no different.

"Buddy Ryan and Walter Payton are the only reason anyone believes Ditka's credentials"

cmon now Bang. what did walter do in that SB victory in 85 - not much. and what success did Ryan have after the Bears? none. we can't claim on this board that it is all about team (and who crafts the team) and then go on to state that others success owes to individuals. ditka was the coach. he pulled the strings. he created the team environment and made the final decisions.

"Buddy Ryan and Walter Payton are the only reason anyone believes Ditka's credentials"

cmon now Bang. what did walter do in that SB victory in 85 - not much. and what success did Ryan have after the Bears? none. we can't claim on this board that it is all about team (and who crafts the team) and then go on to state that others success owes to individuals. ditka was the coach. he pulled the strings. he created the team environment and made the final decisions.

Exactly. If this team has a great year, are Williams and Portis more responsible than Gibbs then? After all, if this team didn't have the defense it does, or Portis toting the rock, we wouldn't even have CLOSE to a winning record last year. :2cents:

Archived