Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What did Mike Ditka Say?

Hail_to_Kessel

running back has always been the position of attrition in the NFL.

whatever sliding scale standards you want to use to gauge time and era go back and look at the runners during that time and see the length of their careers vs. flankers, quarterbacks and offensive linemen.

His comments didn't really come off as an attack of Clinton did it.

I was working and listening and might have missed something.

Cheers.

Since you hopped on me for not having an apostrophe in a word, where is your question mark? Someone who is a thread cop isn't allowed to make these mistakes. :rolleyes:

Anyways, back to the point. Ditka is old school. You can't fault him for that. He would say the same about any player with the same injury.

Ditka also played a less demanding position, tight end.

Running back is the position where players take the most punishment.

Look at the average length of careers in the NFL at the various positions. Running backs always have the highest attrition rate.

That's what makes 33 year old 1,000 yard rushers like John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, etc. so special, that they had the durability to last in the NFL for 11 or 12 years.

Also, I am sick and tired of seeing Ditka sit up there and act as if he was the greatest player and coach in NFL history.

His Bears' team fell from the ranks of the elite after Buddy Ryan left. He was a failure in New Orleans. Remember he was the guy that traded for Heath Shuler and gave the Redskins an entire draft of picks for the right to draft Ricky Williams.

As a player his Dallas teams most often lost to the Colts or Packers in the playoffs.

Remember the Cowboys at one time were known as the team that just couldn't win it all.

Those were his teams.

I double dog dare to say that to his face.... :doh:

running back has always been the position of attrition in the NFL.

whatever sliding scale standards you want to use to gauge time and era go back and look at the runners during that time and see the length of their careers vs. flankers, quarterbacks and offensive linemen.

The argument here is that Ditka knows what he's talking about... he might not be the most eloquent SOB in the world, but he's certainly worthy of a 2nd look. A hell of a lot more than Sean Salisbury, Lenny P, or the morons at CNNSI.

Ditka has:

-revolutionized the tight end position as a player

-won a superbowl as a coach

-member of the pro football hall of fame

I think that if he comes out and says that Portis needs to suck it up, we should probably not be so quick to dismiss him as a crazy old man, or marginalize his accomplishments.

Well I know Ditka thinks that CP can do it because he still drafted him in the ESPN fantasy league with the 4th pick. Ditka knows CP is a tough SOB who has to be pulled out of a game by his neck, just like Ditka was.

Plus CP is doing well I'm not worried about CP at all anymore, I AM worried about Springs though... I don't see him being game ready until week 5 or 6 at best. :(

A separated shoulder involves a separation of the clavicle in relation to the acromion, (roof of the shoulder complex). Portis has a subluxing shoulder which involves the humeral head (ball of the shoulder) slipping partially out of the shoulder socket.

A subluxing shoulder also is characterized as a "Dead-arm " syndrome. While both can be painful they each involve different functions and demands for the shoulder. You generally have more painful feedback with a separated shoulder, guiding your actions when trying to reach overhead. A subluxing shoulder can be more unpredictable and not give you any warning when it's going to go out.

Surgical results are more predictable and less debilitating for a separated shoulder than a subluxed shoulder.

While Ditka might have toughed things out, Portis will need to be more cautious in his recovery to full contact. His biggest risks will be in overhead activity (pass catching) and/or tackling. It's his non-dominant side so he should be able to carry/hold the ball well.

Hail TTR

A subluxing shoulder can be more unpredictable and not give you any warning when it's going to go out.

Surgical results are more predictable and less debilitating for a separated shoulder than a subluxed shoulder.

Great post!

Not sure I like the news though. :(

nice post bonedoc. I learned the other day what sublaxation is......when my spinal chord problem was described to me. decided to try a chiropractor before the knife to fix things. turns out the doc was a chiro for the Chiefs. told me all the footballers use em. got me to thinkin about how much violent stress these guys expose their spines to. unreal!

Archived