Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update the "MARCHING BAND!"

LightenupSandyBaby

Before all the traditionalist badger me about this statement, let me assure you I'm a die hard Redskin Fan, and I do believe in respecting some of our many traditions. ( Fight Song, Ring of Fame, Sonny-Sam-Frank..Whoops I mean Larry!)

After watching our new and enhanced Cheerleaders entertain the fans at FED EX....I couldn't help to observe how awkward the Redskin Band looked next to our New Super-HOT-Cheerleaders. It reminded me of Anna Nicole Smith with her 100 year old millionaire deceased husband. Quite frankly it was an EYE-SORE!

Not to dis-respect our current Marching Band...because they can surely play Hail to the Redskins very well. But if Mr. Snyder likes to make things a little more better...either don't allow the Marching band on the Field with our Cheerleaders or get some in shape young fellas to replace the old dudes on the marching band.

It's unfortunate that our marching band seems to shrink in size every year. Perhaps an explanation could be that the retired members are not replaced man per man. The seats that band members once occupied are sold as new taigate club seats everytime a member leaves or retires. In the old days, it seemed like the band had a 100 pieces with 10 tuba guys in the top row. They were so loud they echoed throughout the stadium and I don't think they were even miked. Now days, the band has few opportunities to jam as nearly all dead time during the game is reserved loud commercials on the minitrons. If the band jammed more, the atmosphere would be more college like. C'mon Danny, let the band jam like they did on their way to Canton. I know I sound like an old man remembering the past through rose colored glasses, but I'm not even 30 and I want the band over the loud rock/rap that is usually played.

granted, our band has the bast history in the NFL - but the Ravens band blows our out of the water. If you look at HS football and college football, you have awesome bands and the drumline jamming out - and the crowd loves it. Our band is an attempt at this, but they simply are not very good. Someone needs to tell Snyder to pump some $$ into the band and at least get them some good uniforms.

granted, our band has the bast history in the NFL - but the Ravens band blows our out of the water. If you look at HS football and college football, you have awesome bands and the drumline jamming out - and the crowd loves it. Our band is an attempt at this, but they simply are not very good. Someone needs to tell Snyder to pump some $$ into the band and at least get them some good uniforms.

are you crazy?!!!! Have you ever been to a ravens game and heard the band? They suck and the uniforms are terrible. I could barely hear the band when I was there. Sorry we still have the best band in the nfl.

Uniforms are expensive.

They can cost tens of thousands of dollars for even a relatively small sized band (because you need to order many extras in different sizes so you have wiggle room for future members).

Don't you want a new jumbotron first?

Seriously though, I wish I even knew how to join the band. They don't post any tryout information or anything, unlike the advertisements I saw on Redskins.com cheerleader tryouts. I guess the guys don't want to lose their spots, and thats understandable, but competition always makes things better IMO.

btw: here's a rant I had about the band a long time ago

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149981&page=1

I've played in and have taught drumlines, so its something I really care and actually know about.

I don't know about the Ravens band....but I do agree that maybe if the Uniforms were a little better looking it wouldn't be as much of an eye sore. i also agree that if snyder wants the best of the best in the NFL...he put forth a little cash for the BEST Marching Band in the NFL

my friend and i tried to get hooked up with the skins band a few years ago. they said they didn't need any more trumpet players :(. I would love to play for the band but I only play trumpet and guitar...so yeah.....I like seeing the band but whatever. i am a band geek that loves football.

Uniforms are expensive.

They can cost tens of thousands of dollars for even a relatively small sized band (because you need to order many extras in different sizes so you have wiggle room for future members).

Don't you want a new jumbotron first?

Seriously though, I wish I even knew how to join the band. They don't post any tryout information or anything, unlike the advertisements I saw on Redskins.com cheerleader tryouts. I guess the guys don't want to lose their spots, and thats understandable, but competition always makes things better IMO.

btw: here's a rant I had about the band a long time ago

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149981&page=1

I've played in and have taught drumlines, so its something I really care and actually know about.

Something tells me Danny Boy could afford both a new screen and new uniforms for the band. But the fact is that the band's role has been minimized since Danny Boy took over and I believe that he wants those tickets that he uses for the band. So it wouldn't be surprising if the band is phased out over the next few years.

It's unfortunate that our marching band seems to shrink in size every year. Perhaps an explanation could be that the retired members are not replaced man per man. The seats that band members once occupied are sold as new taigate club seats everytime a member leaves or retires. In the old days, it seemed like the band had a 100 pieces with 10 tuba guys in the top row. They were so loud they echoed throughout the stadium and I don't think they were even miked. Now days, the band has few opportunities to jam as nearly all dead time during the game is reserved loud commercials on the minitrons. If the band jammed more, the atmosphere would be more college like. C'mon Danny, let the band jam like they did on their way to Canton. I know I sound like an old man remembering the past through rose colored glasses, but I'm not even 30 and I want the band over the loud rock/rap that is usually played.

I could probably have joined the marching band a few years ago, but I had just retired from the Air Force Band and I had had my fill of marching... :)

i was pretty disappointed with the band. First of all, they come onto the field, in what I guess they wanted to be a few triangles or something, but were horrible. Then they just stand there and play one song. I've been part of marchings bands since high school, I just graduated from college (JMU) and this is my first year out of marching band, and I do miss it.

JMU's band is far better, easily top 25 nationwide, but even they don't compare to the likes of any big Texas school, any military academy, Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, etc.... I will join the Redskins band a few years from now, there are some members who post on this site. I hope when I join I can help to make it better, hopefully they take clarinets still. The band also looked smaller, someone confirm to me that it hasn't been shrinking. I just expected some sorta show, and was thoroughly disappointed. A high school band could have done better.

Archived