Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update the "MARCHING BAND!"

LightenupSandyBaby

It seems to me that when I was much much younger, the Redskins used to bring in bands from different schools to provide entertainment at halftime. This was back in the days of Black and white TV, and when the halftime show was televised as part of the game. I think most of that stopped when the networks started televising the talking heads in NY, at halftime. I do remember our HS band was quite excited when they got to compete for a chance to do a part of the halftime show.

I love the band and I always get excitied when they play HTTR. For 25+ years I sang along watching them on TV. When I finally got to see my first game last year, I actually teared up when they came marching out of the tent. The band members are dedicated. Someone told me that they knew a member that moved from DC to North Carolina, but still drove back for every game. That is loyalty. That is tradition.

As a current member of the band, I'll try to address as many of the questions/comments as possible.

The band is not shrinking- it's about the same size every year give or take a few. There were a TON of people out for the Jets game. No more than 3/4 of the band was there due to vacations. We have an entire section of bench seating to ourselves. Dan Snyder does not sell old members' seats. There are no seats to sell- just benches. (See how rumors get started?)

Noone would agree about the uniforms more than the band members themselves. We did not make our own uniforms- they were provided years and years ago. We could certainly use new ones, but we have absolutely no control over that. It would be very expensive to replace them.

We want to play more. But we don't pay the bills and the advertising is a necessary evil. It is indeed painful to sit there and listen to rap/rock when we are a live band sitting right there, but again, we are told when to play and when not to play.

And finally, whoever suggested the Ravens' band is better than the Redskins Band is a disgrace to this fine board.

And finally, whoever suggested the Ravens' band is better than the Redskins Band is a disgrace to this fine board.

granted, our band has the bast history in the NFL - but the Ravens band blows our out of the water. If you look at HS football and college football, you have awesome bands and the drumline jamming out - and the crowd loves it. Our band is an attempt at this, but they simply are not very good. Someone needs to tell Snyder to pump some $$ into the band and at least get them some good uniforms.

:nono:

Noone would agree about the uniforms more than the band members themselves. We did not make our own uniforms- they were provided years and years ago. We could certainly use new ones, but we have absolutely no control over that. It would be very expensive to replace them.

We want to play more. But we don't pay the bills and the advertising is a necessary evil. It is indeed painful to sit there and listen to rap/rock when we are a live band sitting right there, but again, we are told when to play and when not to play.

I think that these would be FINE topics to bring up in the Dan Snyder chat thread....

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165193

;)

I personally love the band. I do miss them playing and jamming throughout the game -- instead now we get piped in stuff that half the time I could care less about. I wish the Redskin Singers were back too.. they disappeared when FedEx opened.

They'd be much more "appreciated" I think by the younger generation of fans if they were allowed to prepare and perform more than what they do now... like they did at RFK.. they played during all the breaks. The Redskin singers sang at the breaks. The Redskin singers started HAIL TO THE REDSKINS. It was great. And sad when they weren't at FedEx when it opened.

being a band geek myself, I have to say i really like that the redskins have a marching band and all, but found myself a little dissapointed of how easy the drills are. I love the sound and stuff...but it only takes about a week or less to learn a cool drill...but i'm not too anal about it, because they are all volunteers, have lives and can't dedicate every moment towards marching.

I was accepted to play in the raven's band, but i decided i didn't want any part of that stupid franchise :)

I'm more interested in how to actually try out.

No one posts anything about try outs. I've heard they practice on wednesday nights. That's cool and all, but do they purposefully keep it on the down-lo so their members won't be challenged spots or something? I have no idea. It certaintly seems like it. I've marched percussion for years now and am still active in writing/arranging and some teaching. I'd love to have information on how to join. A website... a general flier. You know, that Ravens band actively recruits people. They even have a sponsorship with Yamaha ;).

What is there to change? They are dressed like indians! (Sorry to all of you PC people)

They are the NFL's first marching band and are unique to our history here.

I would like to hear more of them during the games instead of that piped in music they play like every other team/stadium in thr NFL.

I guess you guys can't practice much so you all have day jobs. BTW, where do you guys practice, and, will you need a die hard marcher/Redskins fan/clarinet player next year?

To everyone else, I guess you had to be a former marcher or something. I don't think anyone is going against the band as being a traditional part of our team. But to you as well as you Luca Brasi, some of us just want to see a better show.

I was talking to this elderly couple behind me, the band topic came up, and I said "yeh, i marched in high school and college, I want to join the Redskins band eventually" and she said "Oh good, so then you can help them march in straight lines?"

When I'm used to being in a decent high school band, and then 4 years at JMU, guess it is kind of spoiling, heh.

I'm more interested in how to actually try out.

No one posts anything about try outs. I've heard they practice on wednesday nights. That's cool and all, but do they purposefully keep it on the down-lo so their members won't be challenged spots or something? I have no idea. It certaintly seems like it. I've marched percussion for years now and am still active in writing/arranging and some teaching. I'd love to have information on how to join. A website... a general flier. You know, that Ravens band actively recruits people. They even have a sponsorship with Yamaha ;).

maybe you should PM Luca Brasi...as he said...he's a member of the band.

The Redskins are one of only two teams in the NFL with an official marching band. The other is the Baltimore Ravens, who revived the band of the city's former NFL team, the Baltimore Colts. The Redskins' band predates the Colts franchise by about 15 years. Also, the Redskins were the first team to have a fight song, "Hail to the Redskins."

We kick Ass....

Mr. S,

We practice in the parking lot at FedEx Field. We draw lines on the parking lot using chalk and use those are yard lines. Unforunately we are not able to use the field or even a nearby high school field.

FYI- I graduated from JMU as well. The two groups are not comparible for many reasons. We practice once a week for 2 hours in a parking lot at night. JMU practices 3 to 6 times a week on a field, not including the countless music only rehearsals. It's just a different beast altogether. As a member, you soon learn to forget the past and enjoy being in the only real marching band in the NFL.

Regarding tryouts, you are correct in that nothing is actually advertised or posted. Once you're in the band, you're in for as long as you wish, providing you do what you are supposed to do. New members are typically introduced by existing members and tryouts occur early in the spring each year to fill spots vacated by members leaving. It's not about not wanting to be challenged as one person suggested. Being in the band is a huge time commitment, and once you put it your time, you earn the right not to risk losing your spot to someone who is a good player but may not stick around very long.

Mr. S,

We practice in the parking lot at FedEx Field. We draw lines on the parking lot using chalk and use those are yard lines. Unforunately we are not able to use the field or even a nearby high school field.

FYI- I graduated from JMU as well. The two groups are not comparible for many reasons. We practice once a week for 2 hours in a parking lot at night. JMU practices 3 to 6 times a week on a field, not including the countless music only rehearsals. It's just a different beast altogether. As a member, you soon learn to forget the past and enjoy being in the only real marching band in the NFL.

Regarding tryouts, you are correct in that nothing is actually advertised or posted. Once you're in the band, you're in for as long as you wish, providing you do what you are supposed to do. New members are typically introduced by existing members and tryouts occur early in the spring each year to fill spots vacated by members leaving. It's not about not wanting to be challenged as one person suggested. Being in the band is a huge time commitment, and once you put it your time, you earn the right not to risk losing your spot to someone who is a good player but may not stick around very long.

Thanks for the inside truth about the Marching band. i would like to know who's actually is in charge of the band. It seems like someone with a little more passion for Redskin tradition should take over.

It's puzzling to me how a college band can meet more and actually have access to a football field for practice. There are so many high schools in the washington metropolitan area that would jump at the chance of letting the redskin band practice on their field.

Plus, the simple fact that the Band members have other paying jobs, and cannot commit to meeting more often is the EXACT REASON WHY WE NEED NEW BLOOD OF DEDICATED MEMBERS.

I'm not accusing you as being lazy or dis-interested as a member of the BAND...but you have to admit there are plenty of qualified young musicians that would jump at the chance of being part of the Redskin organization.

granted, our band has the bast history in the NFL - but the Ravens band blows our out of the water. If you look at HS football and college football, you have awesome bands and the drumline jamming out - and the crowd loves it. Our band is an attempt at this, but they simply are not very good. Someone needs to tell Snyder to pump some $$ into the band and at least get them some good uniforms.

Ive had several friends that have done ravens band. It sounds like its a huge commitment for both bands. You just have to realize that these people are voluntering their time to play and dont get anything besides a ticket to the game and 13 hours of their time on gameday.

I am also a member of the band and appreciate all the great comments that have been posted in this thread. LucaBrasi has made some great points about the band but I will add a few things that have been missed.

First of all the members of the band are diehard fans who bleed burgundy and gold like the rest of you, so saying that we need younger players in the band wouldn't change much in terms of spirit. Plus, recently there has been an infusion of young players to the band anyway making it more balanced age-wise.

Also remember that we only practice once a week and have to prepare in a parking lot outside of the stadium. Its really impossible to compare us to college bands that practice much more and have access to better practice facilities.

We are looking for a trumpet player to join the band and are always looking for reserves to bolster our numbers.

Thanks for the support and HTTR!

Archived