Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell decrepit? I think not.

waterwagen

I'm sure someone on here has mentioned this before at some point but I had to get this off my chest.

For all the bashing Brunell takes from the media at large, through constant comments on radio and in print about how the Skins don't have a quarterback, or that Brunell is run-down, or how our offense was anemic, Brunell passed for more touchdowns last year, BY 3, than he had in any previous year. His total was 23, which tied the most TDs that supposed HOFer Aikman threw for in a season in his whole career. And Brunell set this personal record last year even AFTER he was a quarterback who was considered to be in the upper echelon in the mid and late 90's. Not only that, but he combined this TD total with only 10 INTs, compared to, randomly chosen ;), Drew Bledsoe's 23 TDs and 17 INTs last year. No one in the national media talks about his stats when discussing him. Ever. I'm sick and tired of it.

Hail King Gibbs who through all the criticism from the media and from among us fans decided that Brunell could still play.

http://www.profootball-reference.com/players/BrunMa00.htm

I agree with you-he had a sensational year by his own standards. Too bad he got shunned in the ProBowl so Michael Vick could be there. I mean. no matter what the stats are-you have to have Vick there, right?:doh:

I am really looking forward to seeing Brunell's productivity this year. Who knows if he'll step up, but I wouldn't want anyone else leading THIS team right now.

I'm not down on Mark either man I think he's gonna get it done for us. I just hope he doesn't fumble as much next year, you didn't really bring that up from last year.
There's no doubt that fumbling is one of his biggest flaws. I still don't think it's bad enough for me to be especially worried about. I haven't researched it, but it seems to me that that problem was much bigger in his early games with the Skins.

Mark is a class act. We know character goes a long way with Coach Gibbs. That being said, MB is still a quality QB. No, I don't think he has the same skill set that he did 10 years ago, but neither does any 36 year old QB. I am only a year or so older than MB. As a former competitive weight lifter, my entire body is full of aches and pains. I cannot imagine how I would feel at my age if I had been hammered by 300lb men every Sunday! I am amazed that he held up last year as well as he did. :helmet:

Only thing I am worried about with Brunell are injuries. He has the heart and ability to make all the plays, but older players have more mileage on their bodies. Brunell is as good as his legs, we all know this. Two years ago, his legs weren't in good condition, and he didn't do so well (we wanted him gone). Last year, his legs were fine, and he had a good year. All indications this year are his legs are fine too. From all the reports I have read about the scrimmage and the first week, it seems like Brunell is coming into camp in excellent shape.

Only thing I am worried about with Brunell are injuries. He has the heart and ability to make all the plays, but older players have more mileage on their bodies. Brunell is as good as his legs, we all know this. Two years ago, his legs weren't in good condition, and he didn't do so well (we wanted him gone). Last year, his legs were fine, and he had a good year. All indications this year are his legs are fine too. From all the reports I have read about the scrimmage and the first week, it seems like Brunell is coming into camp in excellent shape.
Yup. When his stats went down at the end of the season (the whole reason the media criticizes him - what you see last is what you remember) it was partly related to him getting hit in the knee in the ?Giants? game.

I'm sure someone on here has mentioned this before at some point but I had to get this off my chest.

For all the bashing Brunell takes from the media at large, through constant comments on radio and in print about how the Skins don't have a quarterback, or that Brunell is run-down, or how our offense was anemic, Brunell passed for more touchdowns last year, BY 3, than he had in any previous year. His total was 23, which tied the most TDs that supposed HOFer Aikman threw for in a season in his whole career. And Brunell set this personal record last year even AFTER he was a quarterback who was considered to be in the upper echelon in the mid and late 90's. Not only that, but he combined this TD total with only 10 INTs, compared to, randomly chosen ;), Drew Bledsoe's 23 TDs and 17 INTs last year. No one in the national media talks about his stats when discussing him. Ever. I'm sick and tired of it.

Hail King Gibbs who through all the criticism from the media and from among us fans decided that Brunell could still play.

I'm glad you point this out. I saw Brunnell in person while he played in Jacksonville for nine years and I never saw him look as consistant as he did last year with the Skins. He was a better playmaker back in the day, but now he is a better overall QB relying on his arm more than his legs. The stats don't lie.

I love it... Hail the King....

Dam right... its ime for MB to win a Super Bowl......

talk to me when that guy wins us a ring, in 14 years he still does not have one.We have great players and coaches but one of the worst qbs in the nfl and we will not win anyting with him.All we can hope for is a career ending injury and get the kid in a hope he can learn quickly with Gibbs last two years

talk to me when that guy wins us a ring, in 14 years he still does not have one.We have great players and coaches but one of the worst qbs in the nfl and we will not win anyting with him.All we can hope for is a career ending injury and get the kid in a hope he can learn quickly with Gibbs last two years
Obviously you didn't bother to read my post. If you're not happy with 23 and 10, you're not happy with anything short of Peyton Manning.

Talk to us when you have a good post, in 11 posts you still don't have one. We have great members but one of the worst fans in the NFL. All we can hope for is your job transfer so you can go pick on some other great QB.

Boy if you have any doubts after seeing him throw the ball on a rope, laced with accuracy, and on time in the scrimmage than you're out of your tree. Oh it was just a scrimmage? The ball was out, on time, and on the money. Scrimmage or no scrimmage, you do that against 11 other NFL players [most of them startes] and do it against the Ravens [ranked 5th in total D] to boot, you're doin' something right. I've got no doubts, PERIOD! I'm not stressing who he played either, it's how he played that makes me warm and fuzzy about our starting qb :kiss: :D

HTTR!

It's interesting he is one of the worst qb's in the NFL. I didn't realize bad qb's went to multiple playoff games in their careers [including two last year] and had Pro Bowl caliber numbers last year along with past years to boot. Brunell's a pro bowl qb, and don't tell me he didn't have the numbers to go last year over Vick.

Who would you consider is a great qb? Let me guess--Manning, Mcnabb, Palmer, Brad Johnson [who has a ring and you're gonna tell me he's good?], Bledsoe, Vick, Delhomme, Green...?

None of these guys have a ring [johnson excluded]. Would you consider them bad QB's? Whoever you pick out of that group, most people would tell you you're crazy if you think their respective teams would drop them. Brunell doesn't have anything to prove to you or to the naysayers...nothing at all. Back to the hole from whence you came....run along!

HTTR!

Anyone who saw the precision with which Brunell was passing at the scrimmage would immediately recognize the fact that he's still capable.

Actually, the scrimmage can be left out. A 10-6 year and a Wildcard playoff win is enough to say, "I've still got what it takes to win in this league."

Brunelle was a team leader & fit the offense extremely well last year. His stats probably would of been better and I honestly believe that the team would of made it deeper into the playoffs if Mark had more to choose from on passing. He did, in my opinion, as well as possible last year with what he had to work with and with a better crop of receivers this year and with mark still having a very good arm & a great touch pass, I believe MB will be a very solid fit for this offense for our 06-07 season.

His total was 23, which tied the most TDs that supposed HOFer Aikman threw for in a season in his whole career.

You made me look something up and I can't believe it.

Actually Aikman only threw 20 TD's that one year. He threw 19 once and 17 once though, lol. Aikman was great in the postseason but his regular season stats are extremely weak considering the offense around him 165-141 TD-INT for his career. In comparison, look at a regular guy like Dave Krieg's numbers:

261-199 TD-INT. Aikman threw too many INTS.

The Dallas Cowboys would have never made it to the postseason without that All Pro line and Emmitt Smith, and their yearly Top5 Defense. Any QB would have been fine and someone like Steve Buerlein may have done better for them considering he did this in 1999 for the no running game Carolina Panthers:

1999: 343 571 60.1 4436 7.8 36 15

Dallas had a top 5 defense from 1992-1996, the same years they had the best RB in the league. Aikman's best year: (and it was by far his best year)

1992: 302 473 63.8 3445 7.3 23 14

Aaron Brooks best year -Emmit Smith:

2003 306 518 59.1 3546 6.8 24 8

In his best year Aikman was 3rd in Completions, 4th in yards, and 3rd in TD passes. Pretty weak, he played the Trent Dilfer part before Trent Dilfer did except Dilfer had Warrick Dunn and Akiman had Emmitt Smith.

Do you think the 1997-1999 Bucs would have done better with Emmit Smith, Michael Irvin and Jay Novachek than they did with Warrick Dunn, Reidel Anthony, and Dave Moore? They had the same dominating defense the Cowboys had in the early-mid 90's and made it to the NFCCG with that lineup.

I now think Aikman made it to the HOF because we believe that he would have put up much better numbers in a different offense, even though there is no evidence to support it. Trent Dilfer may have done more too. Aikman put up Theismann numbers in 2x as many years starting as it took Theimann to do it.

Aikman has outstanding post season stats, but is that due to having Emmitt Smith and that defense and OL dominating games in the post season or was it Aikman? I can't remember and didn't pay enough attention since I was wishing they would lose but I think that was a huge part of it. The OL, like on Gibbs teams made the QB and RB look better than he really was. Timmy Smith anyone?

By the way, the Jacksonville Jaguars went 14-2 in 1999 when Brunell had these weak numbers:

1999: 259 441 58.7 3060 6.9 14 9

but they had the #1 scoring defense that year too and only lost to the Titans since they owned them (Williams).

Aikman is probably the most overrated QB since Namath.

Marino never won a ring in 16 years. And if you think that JC is ready to lead us to the SB this year, you need to go back and look at the scrimmage tape, because unless our receivers are growing hands on their ankles, he hardly hit the broad side of the barn, got sacked and had only 1 good scramble. He is no where near ready. It's got to be Brunell or bust this year.

Archived