Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American League Cy Young consideration?

rincewind

And your homerism clouds yours.

You can replace them if that makes it easier for you to see the point. Which is this- Wang is a good pitcher BECAUSE he plays for the Yankees. The other guys mentioned are good DESPITE playing for teams that dont assemble the most expensive all-star team every year.

Answer me this: How does the Yankees payroll effect Wang's ERA???

Wang is a better pitcher than Bedard at this point in the season, period. Lackey is a better pitcher than Wang at this point in the season, period.

No matter who is on what team, there is one stat that can't be explained away: ERA

How am I a Yankee homer for saying that Lackey>Wang>Bedard. You are not going to win this one pal. ;)

Wang is a better pitcher than Bedard at this point in the season, period. Lackey is a better pitcher than Wang at this point in the season, period.

No matter who is on what team, there is one stat that can't be explained away: ERA

How am I a Yankee homer for saying that Lackey>Wang>Bedard. You are not going to win this one pal. ;)

See above.

And your homerism clouds yours.

You can replace them if that makes it easier for you to see the point. Which is this- Wang is a good pitcher BECAUSE he plays for the Yankees. The other guys mentioned are good DESPITE playing for teams that dont assemble the most expensive all-star team every year.

By your logic the Yankees would have the best pitching staff in the league - yet pitching is what has kept us from winning championships the past 6 years. Guess logic is not the illuminati's strong suit.

By your logic the Yankees would have the best pitching staff in the league - yet pitching is what has kept us from winning championships the past 6 years. Guess logic is not the illuminati's strong suit.

Your logic is flawed.

The team behind them wont make them the best pitchers, but it WILL maximize the performance of the pitchers. So even mediocre ones look great.

And it's not pitching that's kept you from winning. It's poor coaching imo.

Either that or the Illuminati voted and decided you've won enough.

Your logic is flawed.

The team behind them wont make them the best pitchers, but it WILL maximize the performance of the pitchers. So even mediocre ones look great.

And it's not pitching that's kept you from winning. It's poor coaching imo.

Either that or the Illuminati voted and decided you've won enough.

Than answer this - how come Mussina and Johnson have been subpar since joining the club?

Than answer this - how come Mussina and Johnson have been subpar since joining the club?

BEcause they are past their prime. They are sub par pitchers now. The fact that Mussina is doing well this year is attributable to the team behind him.

Im not saying you can take any arm and make them a superstar in NY. Im just saying the team their skews the actual ability of the pitchers. It makes them better than they are.

BTW, the Yankees arent the only team that this would apply to. It's just the most exagerated.

Yes, but with ERA's being equal, you can't deny that team fielding, the bullpen, the closer, and the run support do in fact have an impact on the a pitcher's W-L record. Baseball is the ultimate of team sports and to suggest that a pitcher is a pitcher is a pitcher regardless of who is on his team is silly. I think the point in question was the W-L record and not ERA.

• 4 weeks later...
Guess who threw 7.2 more scoreless innings today and is now tied for the M.L. lead in wins? :D
He's definitely working himself into the conversation now ... if I were him though, I wouldn't be thinking about the Cy Young - I'd be thinking about that payday that is coming from Steinbrenner... :pimp:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For all you doubters:

2006 AL Cy Young Award

Voting results ¬

Player, Club 1st 2nd 3rd Points

Johan Santana, Twins 28 140

Chien-Ming Wang, Yankees 15 6 51

Roy Halladay, Blue Jays 12 12 48

Francisco Rodriguez, Angels 1 2 5

Joe Nathan, Twins 3 3

Kenny Rogers, Tigers 3 3

Justin Verlander, Tigers 2 2

I'd say 2nd place is definitely 'consideration'. Way to go Wang! :2ndplace:

I'd say 2nd place is definitely 'consideration'. Way to go Wang! :2ndplace:
It will be interesting to see if he tries to develop some kind of change-up in the offseason or works on his splitter for more of a strikeout pitch. He definitely has room to improve.

I remember being kind of disappointed that he sat out the World Baseball Classic last spring because without him Taiwan had no chance against Korea and Japan, but I guess he got a lot done in Yankees training camp. He'll probably be even better next year.

I can't believe they gave it to the guy who lead the AL in Wins, ERA, SO's, and IP's. That's some straight bull****.

If you go through the rest of the thread - you'll see I, in NO way, said Wang deserved to win. Just get some votes - and he did. Enough to come in 2nd place. :D

Archived