Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

American League Cy Young consideration?

rincewind

Now I don't want to sound like a homer, but does anybody else think Chien-Ming Wang of the Yankees should be getting more coverage and consideration for the A.L. Cy Young? The guy is now 12-4 with 3.77 ERA. I know he doesn't have the best numbers - but I haven't heard ANY media coverage or props for him.

Well, what I meant wasn't that he deserves to win - but at least give him some consideration.

Personally - I'd give it to Santana.

oh yeah, I think Wang has done a great job this year (and I HATE the Yankees). He does have a good shot, but I don't see it happening unless he pitches absolutely lights out for the rest of the year.

Now I don't want to sound like a homer, but does anybody else think Chien-Ming Wang of the Yankees should be getting more coverage and consideration for the A.L. Cy Young? The guy is now 12-4 with 3.77 ERA. I know he doesn't have the best numbers - but I haven't heard ANY media coverage or props for him.

HAHAHA Homer! Now Papelbon is a different story:silly:

3.77 ERA means hell no. I think he's the best pitcher on the Yanks this year, but those 12 wins with an ERA of almost 4 says a lot about his run support.

Liriano, Santana, Rogers, Verlander, Halladay, Papelbon, Lackey, Zito would all be ahead of him for me. Maybe Bedard, too.

Give me Santana, Halladay, and Liriano in that order with my imaginary vote.

Chien-Ming Wang

12-4 1 sv 3.77 45K 36BB

Erik Bedard

12-6 3.87 110K 45BB

Mike Mussina

12-3 3.44 123K 26BB

Roy Halladay

13-2 3.06 84K 19BB

Francisco Liriano

12-2 1 sv 1.96 137K 32BB

OUt of those I would say that Liriano is the clear choice. But for my Homer pick I would pick Mussina over Wang

Moronic, only thing that could come to mind when I read this.

Lirianoo, Papelbon, Santana, VerLander, Weaver, Schilling = not even worth mentioning the 7th or 8th best- which he isn't even.

Wang is pretty good, but more in the 7-12 range than 1-4. That's why he isn't getting the consideration.

Plus he's another bonus baby pickup from the pockets of George. MLB needs to make teams forefit draft picks when they mine for talent outside the US, especially when they drop 2 million.

Moronic, only thing that could come to mind when I read this.

Lirianoo, Papelbon, Santana, VerLander, Weaver, Schilling = not even worth mentioning the 7th or 8th best- which he isn't even.

Jackass, only thing that could come to mind when I... you get the point.

If you read the Taiwanese papers, he pretty much owns the sports page every time he pitches :D.

You have to blame the New York media for not putting him in the spotlight, but it's more fun to cover A-Rod's fielding adventures than an up-and-coming pitcher. Wang also didn't start off the year great - he's been getting better as the season has come along, so he wasn't really on anyone's radar. It's also tough when the AL already has two rookie pitching phenoms in Papelbon and Liriano.

If the Yankees make the postseason and Wang pitches somes solid games, the world will find out about him pretty quick. He's definitely not in the Cy Young running this year, but maybe in the next few years if he keeps improving...

The only way I see Wang being considered for the Cy Young with his relatively high ERA and very low strikeout count is if he somehow leads the league in wins. I think it would take something drastic, like him being the only 20 game winner in the league or something, Cy Young voters fall in love with that magical 20 game mark.

The only way I see Wang being considered for the Cy Young with his relatively high ERA and very low strikeout count is if he somehow leads the league in wins. I think it would take something drastic, like him being the only 20 game winner in the league or something, Cy Young voters fall in love with that magical 20 game mark.

Yeah - I know he's a long, LONG shot; but all people ever do is **** all over Yankees pitching. We finally have a guy who's pitching lights out and you barely hear his name.

But if he keeps puting up numbers like: 8-0 with a 1.77 era in his last 9 home games, maybe that will change.

Archived