Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis Appreciation Thread

bubba9497

CP will run for over 2000 yards this year, and will score his fair share of TD's, the only RB that he is comparable to would be Timmy Smith, Riggins in my opinion was a different type of RB, and Timmy won us a superbowl with that speed of his....GO CP

IMO, he is the most talented back ever to wear the colours. He has done nothing but play hard for us.

you know...I want to argue this point, but after thinking of it you may be right. Talented is the key word. I'm such a HUGE Riggins fan but Portis really can do it all. Brown was a great RB as well. But much like the QB's under Gibbs the RB'S have been interchangable as well. I hope he can play and have an impact for 4 or 5 years, that way its not so much of a "flash in the pan" type player (ala Timmy Smith). I'd just like to see more as a Redskin so we could have him retire as one of us(winning a SB would help that Im sure):helmet:

you know...I want to argue this point, but after thinking of it you may be right. Talented is the key word. I'm such a HUGE Riggins fan but Portis really can do it all. Brown was a great RB as well. But much like the QB's under Gibbs the RB'S have been interchangable as well. I hope he can play and have an impact for 4 or 5 years, that way its not so much of a "flash in the pan" type player (ala Timmy Smith). I'd just like to see more as a Redskin so we could have him retire as one of us(winning a SB would help that Im sure):helmet:

It is why I qualified the statement.

Riggins means a lot to this organisation and was a fine back, tough to bring down and much faster than he was given credit for.

Larry Brown literally ran himself into the ground for this franchise, injury really robbed us of a fine back, as it did Kelvin Bryant. Bryant was a great all round talent who just couldn't stay healthy. His USFL record gives an idea of what we missed but his best season total was 11 games before his year absence in 1989.

I have a high regard also for both Earnest Byner and Terry Allen who played hard for us. Allen again was a back whose punishing style caused injuries. We had those back to back 1300 yard seasons followed by two 10 game seasons, had Allen stayed fit he would likely have had four straight 1000 yard seasons.

We have had some good backs over the years, I dont remember a great QB since Jurgenson, some good ones but not great.

Earnest Byner and Terry Allen , Kelvin Bryant

dont forget Little Joe Washington! :D

I dont remember a great QB since Jurgenson, some good ones but not great

Hopefully the next one is right around the corner in Campbell!:helmet:

Archived