Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephen Davis

Passizle

True, but remember both Betts and Rock are fumble queens. I cringe (spelling) every time they touch the ball.

Not true. Neither has the track record for fumbling Davis has. I would say, per carry, all are backs are right about the same as far as fumbles. If any of them were fumblers, they would not be playing for Joe Gibbs. That's really all the proof any of us should need. Seen Antonio Brown or Nemo lately?

Stephen Davis had a radical knee surgery called microfracture surgery. I read somewhere that it had a 50% chance of working. Davis isn't able to play, which is why the Panthers let him go. This whole discussion is moot because he can't play anymore.

I guess I did not explain fully. I was not making a statment to replace any player on our bench or use him as a starter. I feel his skillset would work for us in emergencies only. He has a history with the team and he is a true veteran running back with great leadership skill the young guys can learn from. Remember that he set the single season franchise rushing record that Portis just broke. I dont think he is a HOF'er but in his day he was great and I would like to see him retire, where he still would have been if it were not for Spurrier.

As for him not being a Gibbs guy... puhlease! That guy practically carried our offense for a few years. He has a great work ethic to boot. Just him being able to come back from that surgery and tear it up at the beginning of last season proves it. I think he got back in the game too quickly.

Also, for the age comment I have two words for ya.

Tiki Barber or

Curtis Martin or

Priest Holmes or

Jerome Bettis

Need I go on?

He in the waining years of his career but his age did not stop him. His knee did.

Hmmm I could see him being like a Jerome Bettis. Well how they used him early on(last season or season b4 last) when he had nearly as many touchdowns as yards lol Gerald Riggs? lol

I don't think we need him though..Portis and the crew will get it done.

I guess I did not explain fully. I was not making a statment to replace any player on our bench or use him as a starter. I feel his skillset would work for us in emergencies only. He has a history with the team and he is a true veteran running back with great leadership skill the young guys can learn from. Remember that he set the single season franchise rushing record that Portis just broke. I dont think he is a HOF'er but in his day he was great and I would like to see him retire, where he still would have been if it were not for Spurrier.

As for him not being a Gibbs guy... puhlease! That guy practically carried our offense for a few years. He has a great work ethic to boot. Just him being able to come back from that surgery and tear it up at the beginning of last season proves it. I think he got back in the game too quickly.

Also, for the age comment I have two words for ya.

Tiki Barber or

Curtis Martin or

Priest Holmes or

Jerome Bettis

Need I go on?

I agree with you that Stephen Davis is a darn good back but because of his knees is why he would not play for us. Another reason is that we have a good group of running backs that are younger, faster, and healthier. Believe me I was just as mad at Spurrier for letting him go and the only way he is a Redskin this year is when Joe Gibbs talks him into signing with the team and then retiring as a Redskin. I can see that happening but that is up to SD. Never say never though.

He in the waining years of his career but his age did not stop him. His knee did.

I seem to remember that he had some trouble holding onto the ball on a couple of occassions in short situations. Three that stand out in my mind were the arizona game where aneas williams returned the fumble the other way. When he was playing us against carolina and we knocked the ball out of his hands. They ruled it a touchdown and even though on the replay it showed that he had the ball knocked out before he crossed. Then that dallas game where all he had to do was hold onto the football and he lost it and we lost 9-7. I am not saying that he can't be better than that. I just seem to remember he had trouble holding onto the ball. I guess if he is available at the right price. I did always like his hard between the tackle running style.

True, but remember both Betts and Rock are fumble queens. I cringe (spelling) every time they touch the ball.

Davis wasn't exactly Marshall Faulk when he was over here though.

I'd probably like to see him signed, just so he can retire a Redskin.

Dont we already have that in L. Betts? I loved S. Davis when he was here and hated to see him go. But he is now old, and injury prone, plus we don't have a need for any back ups. I think LB and the other young backups will do just fine. Thanks but no thanks.

We definitley do not have that in Betts. he isn't even half as good as Davis. The closest thing to davis we have now is probably Rock Cartwright

And do you not remember Stephen Davis fumbling the ball at the one yard line against Arizona in 2000- might want to rethink about that one for a minute.;)

you shouldn't be thinking that stephen davis isn't a hall of famer. you should KNOW he isn't a hall of famer. people have posted questions if sd should be a hof before...don't even dream about it.

That was not my question. I was just speculating on haveing him retire a redskin. He spent the better part of his carrer pounding the ball for us and I think he still has a lot of fans here.

That was not my question. I was just speculating on haveing him retire a redskin. He spent the better part of his carrer pounding the ball for us and I think he still has a lot of fans here.

i know it wasn't. but some people actually WONDER if he should be a HoFamer and it just gets annoying when i see that level of homerism.

Archived