Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Living Room or Fed Ex Field?

Beauty is Only

I have been to exactly one NFL game in my life. I attended the 1994 'Skins @ Broncos game in the old Mile High Stadium. Sadly, in the closing minutes, Elway zipped a pass just out of Darrell Green's reach to an open receiver in the end zone and the game just slipped out of Washington's grip. Still, it was an interesting experience being in the stands (in the nosebleed seats) and taking in the sights, sounds and smells of an actual pro football contest.

So, most of my 'Skins-watching experiences have been in front of a television, not in stands. Still, I see advantages to that. One can see the game much more clearly and up close on television, one gets the benefit of instant replay, expert (sometimes) analysis, and access to restrooms unparalleled in any stadium.

So, while it's kinda cool to take in a game (and I'd never refuse tickets to attend a 'Skins game if they were offered to me) I feel like I'm getting more information and viewing quality by watching it on TV.

Who's with me on this? Who's against me?

I think both have their strong points. The thing against TV is you have to watch what they decide to show you. At the game you watch what you want. Alot goes on you don't see on TV. Obviously it's much more comfortable watching at home and the instant replay is nice.

I go to the game and record it also. Then when I get home watch it on TV. Best of both worlds for me.

Also make the game day a whole day experience. Get out to the field early and tailgate, and hang out after the game and talk football with other fans. Eliminating the stress of fighting all that traffic makes the day alot more fun.

You need to go FedEx field and then get back to us :laugh:

[yoda]

one game in 94 does not a skins fan make

[/yoda]

That said, even if I did have season tickets (I'm still on the list) I would probably watch one game on the couch and give a buddy the tickets, but just one game. I love going to the stadium. The whole experience is something I love. Nose bleeders or sideline seats, I love it just the same. :cheers:

That said, even if I did have season tickets (I'm still on the list) I would probably watch one game on the couch and give a buddy the tickets, but just one game. I love going to the stadium. The whole experience is something I love. Nose bleeders or sideline seats, I love it just the same. :cheers:

Why would you do that?? You still get to watch 8 regular season games at home. :D

I love football and I LOVE Redskins football more than any other sporting event by far (I'm probably not alone on this one . . .)

That said, I tend to prefer watching on TV for the really important games since I feel you get more in depth with the replays and all. This will be my first year watching with a DVR which could cause me to take like 6 hours a game as I'll replay everything. You can't beat the stadium atmosphere though - so I say in the end it's a toss up.

I'll always take the real thing. You get a lot of perspectives being at the game over being at home (receivers running routes, defenses, etc.), so that argument works both ways.

The ultimate? Listening to Sonny & Sam on the radio while at the game. All the information you could possibly need.

I have been to exactly one NFL game in my life. I attended the 1994 'Skins @ Broncos game in the old Mile High Stadium. Sadly, in the closing minutes, Elway zipped a pass just out of Darrell Green's reach to an open receiver in the end zone and the game just slipped out of Washington's grip. Still, it was an interesting experience being in the stands (in the nosebleed seats) and taking in the sights, sounds and smells of an actual pro football contest.

So, most of my 'Skins-watching experiences have been in front of a television, not in stands. Still, I see advantages to that. One can see the game much more clearly and up close on television, one gets the benefit of instant replay, expert (sometimes) analysis, and access to restrooms unparalleled in any stadium.

So, while it's kinda cool to take in a game (and I'd never refuse tickets to attend a 'Skins game if they were offered to me) I feel like I'm getting more information and viewing quality by watching it on TV.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I've only been to one Skins game in my life in 2003. (They won!) I will say that nothing will ever beat the gameday experience, but living far away as it appears you do, you don't have that much of a choice!

[yoda]

one game in 94 does not a skins fan make

[/yoda]

I HIGHLY disagree with this....for some it is not feasible to go to each and every game(like myself and bunch of my friends), and I would never question their (or my own) fandom and loyalty to our beloved Skins!

One other thing I left out. When I'm at the game I feel I can have an impact on the outcome. There is no better feeling in the world than when me and 90,000 of my closest friends get all Bush League and cause 4 or 5 false start penalties.

You just can't beat the energy at the stadium, starting with the tailgate 4 hours before gametime and ending with the parking lot postmortem after the game. Then go home and watch the recording to get the details that you missed and relive the fun.

One other thing I left out. When I'm at the game I feel I can have an impact on the outcome. There is no better feeling in the world than when me and 90,000 of my closest friends get all Bush League and cause 4 or 5 false start penalties.

:laugh: What writer said that wasn't fair? :laugh:

I would have to say without a doubt I would rather see a game in person. You lose so much of the game field when watching at home or in a bar. Yes, you miss the replays but I would rather be able to see Jacobs burn the corner back on the other side as well as moss juking people off the catch for a touchdown(Giants game comes to mind).

Against. Being at a game is the only real way to watch a football game. Even when the camera pans out wide enough to show most of the field, you get very little idea of what the substitutions and formations are because they generally only pan out just before the snap. The first thing a QB does when he breaks the huddle is locate the safety. The first thing the TV producers do when a QB breaks the huddle is zoom in on the QB? Additionally, TV offers no depth perception.

Truthfully, though if you can't appreciate the difference it is a heck of a cost savings to just stay home.

:whoknows: How did you find out? I'd be happy with your old seats, further off of the aisle.

I'm coming to the Titans and Cowboy games.

I called the ticket office and asked. In my upgrade request I specified staying near the center of the aisle. As you get lower the end seats are worse until you get below the tunnel.

The ultimate? Listening to Sonny & Sam on the radio while at the game. All the information you could possibly need.

I couldn't agree more. Being at the game is just amazing, you are part of the energy, part of the excitement. It's great being at a bar and having alot of Skins fans around celebrating with you, but it's even better being there with 90,000 Skins fans. If you're able to listen to the game on the radio while you watch it live, you get some tidbits that you miss otherwise, like stats and explinations of calls.

Both are great. I am not a season ticket holder but usually go to about 2 or 3 games a season. I went to the Skins Giants game last year on XMass eve, by far the greatest XMass eve I have ever had. Got to the parking lot right at 9, tailgated till 12, was in my seat by kickoff.

It is kind of a pain though to get to and from the games. You really do need to make a whole day out of it.

There's definitely NOTHING like the atmosphere in the stadium...you just don't get the full effect in front of the TV. For all of the perks of being in the comforts of your own home, the gameday experience is SO fulfilling for me live and in person. There IS, of course, much to be desired from certain stadium elements...but once I'm in my seat, everything else disappears except the field, the players, and the scoreboard...oh and the DEAFENING noise in my ears!

There is MUCH to be said for sitting upstairs, too. Especially for someone like me who's still trying to learn more about formations and shifts and the like. You can see the ENTIRE field from up there and watch how a play unfolds from start to finish...it's EONS more complete than watching on TV.

I see it both ways...at home, you have the comfort of your couch, you have the clean bathroom with no lineups, and you have access to food and beer that does not cost an arm and a leg. And of course you have a better view of the game than anyone in the stadium except the players and coaches.

As for going to the game, it's just the thrill of being there. There's that excitement and the feeling of thousands of other fans being there, cheering, etc. That's what I really like about attending live. You're there with like-minded people that are also super pumped about the game.

For me, the absolute best thing would be if I could watch every game at home or in a bar with like 20 people who are also fans of the same team. That way it's closer to being there, you can still yell loud without looking dumb, and you get to save the extra cash.

Unfortunately here in Canada if you ever go to a bar to watch a game there's usually arguments over which one to watch because so many different fans come....so here were are stuck driving to Buffalo, Detroit, or Cleveland whenever our team is around...

It depends where I'm sitting. I hate nosebleed seats, in any sport. I'd much rather watch the game on tv than sit so far away you have to squint to see the player's numbers.

Unfortuantely, good seats in any sport are too much money to justify.

But...Redskins on my big screen HDTV + cheap Nattie Lights + my couch + my own bathroom + no travel time = pure bliss

Archived