Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you remember the Redskins Winning Late in a game

pjfootballer

Just wondering. I was thinking about the Denver game when rookie Rod Smith beat Darrell Green in Denver on a last second TD to win the game. I can't recall many games that the Redskins won on a last second TD or FG.

The only one that I can think of is the 1982 game at home against the NY Giants, when Mosely hit the FG in the snow to win the game 23-21 AND set an NFL record for most FG's in a row with 23.

Can anyone else remember us winning on a last second play?

Guest peele

Well not technically last second, but at Dallas last year 2 TD's in the final 3 minutes. It felt just as good as a last second victory. :dallasuck

Recetnly, hard to think of any off the top of my head that we were trailing in right before the last second FG or TD. Last year's game against Seattle was tied in regulation and Novak won it in OT. In '03 John Hall broke a tie with the game-winning FG at the end against the Jets. In '00 Mike Husted kicked game-winning FGs to break ties against Tampa and Philly. I also remember Chip Lohmiller beating the Vikes on a last-second FG 15-13 (1992?).

How about the home game against the vikings when the skins were losing badly, tied the score and went into overtime. Gary Clark caught a simple hitch route, busted up the side lines and 50 some yards later the ballgame was over. Amazing. I get chills thinking about it. Dexter manley even scored a TD on a high shotgon snap that went over the QB's head. I <3 that game

of course one would have to count the 41-38 victory over Detroit where Jeff Rutledge came in and brought the team all the way back from 3-4 tds down.

to see a guy that hadn't really thrown a ball in the NFL for 4-5 years go in and be that productive on the spot was among the most surprising things I have seen in burgundy and gold :)

How about the home game against the vikings when the skins were losing badly, tied the score and went into overtime. Gary Clark caught a simple hitch route, busted up the side lines and 50 some yards later the ballgame was over. Amazing. I get chills thinking about it. Dexter manley even scored a TD on a high shotgon snap that went over the QB's head. I <3 that game

I think we won that game 44-38 in OT. My parents were at that game. Good one.

of course one would have to count the 41-38 victory over Detroit where Jeff Rutledge came in and brought the team all the way back from 3-4 tds down.

to see a guy that hadn't really thrown a ball in the NFL for 4-5 years go in and be that productive on the spot was among the most surprising things I have seen in burgundy and gold :)

The best one ever. Yeah, how could I forget that one. He had like 380 yards and 4 TD passes. We were down 38-14 heading into the 4th and he put up 24 points in the final quarter to send it to OT.

OT games that stick out for me:

9/12/82

vs Eagles

37-34

In overtime, Monk caught one pass for 27 yards to set the Redskins up at the Philly 42. Three plays later, it was Theismann to Monk again, and Herman Edwards failed in a desperate attempt to knock it down. Monk spun around and rolled down to the nine. Gibbs immediately called for Moseley and his 26-yarder ended it with 4:47 gone in the extra period.

11/3/1991

vs Oilers

16-13

Darrell Green picked off Warren Moon in OT and then Chip hit the chip for the win!!!

Last second wins:

10/2/83

vs Raiders

37-35

Theismann hits Joe Washington from the six yard line to win an "up and down" battle against Plunkett and company with only 43 seconds left in the game.

10/31/83

vs Chargers (MNF)

27-24

After Theismann drove the team 72 yards, Moseley hit the game winning, 37 yard, field goal with only four seconds left on the clock.

:logo:

we're the same age, and i assure you that you weren't less than 3. that was '86 or '87 at the earliest. but it was a great game. :D

Rutledge did a hell of a job in the 4th, but to me that game will be remembered for the Lions losing it more than for us winning it. Wayne Fontes all of a sudden decided not to utilize Barry Sanders and have the clock work in his favor and it cost him.

If you mean a Redskins score to win the game with no time left (not even for a squib KO) in regulation and not to just force OT, you've mentioned the only one.

At least since 1982, the Redskins have scored a walkoff TD/FG in regulation (ala Elway to Smith in 95) only once and that was the Mark Moseley record setting/playoff clinching kick in the 82 Giants game.

I actually attended a game at the old Pontiac Superdome back in 90 where we trailed by 17 points going into the fourth quarter, Barry Sanders racked up 200 rushing yards against us, yet, by the grace of God, we came back, forced overtime and won the game 41-38. To this day, I STILL can't believe we won that game!

I believe it was 86. I was 10. I waited and waited to go to the bathroom at the stadium. Finally couldn't hold it. Dad took me, get into the portal and boom Clark is crossing the goal line at our end of the field. Visitors side AND Band side (love my man dancing to HTTR after a td. 30 yard line last row lower deck on the isle. Great seats. To bad I wasn't in one. That bathroom visit haunts me to this day. Never go to the bathroom in OT. By the way we go shoved in the corner at the new stadium. So much for loyalty to a family that has had Tix for 50 years

I actually attended a game at the old Pontiac Superdome back in 90 where we trailed by 17 points going into the fourth quarter, Barry Sanders racked up 200 rushing yards against us, yet, by the grace of God, we came back, forced overtime and won the game 41-38. To this day, I STILL can't believe we won that game!

A Jeff Rutledge special

I believe it was 86. I was 10. I waited and waited to go to the bathroom at the stadium. Finally couldn't hold it. Dad took me, get into the portal and boom Clark is crossing the goal line at our end of the field. Visitors side AND Band side (love my man dancing to HTTR after a td. 30 yard line last row lower deck on the isle. Great seats. To bad I wasn't in one. That bathroom visit haunts me to this day. Never go to the bathroom in OT. By the way we go shoved in the corner at the new stadium. So much for loyalty to a family that has had Tix for 50 years

OH MY AGE AGE IS WRONG ON HERE. I am 29.

The game was in 86 (pretty sure). Tommy Kramer was their qb

What about the game against Dallas - I guess it was the '92 or '93 season. I don't remember if it was Gibbs' last year or year of the Pettibone, but it was Dallas week and the Cowboys fumbled in their own endzone, the Redskins picked the ball at the bottom of the pile and won the game. I was in attendance but was only 11 or 12 at the time, so I can't remember if it was in the closing seconds or not. Talk about RFK rockin'.

Archived