Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you remember the Redskins Winning Late in a game

pjfootballer

What about the game against Dallas - I guess it was the '92 or '93 season. I don't remember if it was Gibbs' last year or year of the Pettibone, but it was Dallas week and the Cowboys fumbled in their own endzone, the Redskins picked the ball at the bottom of the pile and won the game. I was in attendance but was only 11 or 12 at the time, so I can't remember if it was in the closing seconds or not. Talk about RFK rockin'.

Awesome game (I'm jealous you were there) but that occurred with a few minutes left. We still had to kickoff and get a defensive stop to win that game.

How can everyone forget about the last time the Redskins won the NFC East. The OT game at SF. I believe Larry Centers caught a pass on the flat and took it to the house. I was lucky enough to be at that game.

Good point.

They won a bunch of games in that manner that year:

They beat the Panthers and Eagles on late FGs (not sure if they were walk-off) and they beat the 49ers on that play you mention.

What about the game against Dallas - I guess it was the '92 or '93 season. I don't remember if it was Gibbs' last year or year of the Pettibone, but it was Dallas week and the Cowboys fumbled in their own endzone, the Redskins picked the ball at the bottom of the pile and won the game. I was in attendance but was only 11 or 12 at the time, so I can't remember if it was in the closing seconds or not. Talk about RFK rockin'.

And what's funny about that game was that the officials blew the call on that play. When Emmitt Smith recovered Troy Aikman's original fumble in the end zone, his knees were down and the play should have been blown dead for a safety before his subsequent fumble. But, because there was no replay -- thanks to the hard work of Jerry Jones abolishing the first version -- the call stood in our favor.

How can everyone forget about the last time the Redskins won the NFC East. The OT game at SF. I believe Larry Centers caught a pass on the flat and took it to the house. I was lucky enough to be at that game.

I remember watching it on ESPN, and as soon as Brad Johnson hit Larry Centers, and Centers took just 2 steps Paul Maguire said, "This game is over....there's no one in front of him it's over."

I also remember the coin-flip the ref asked if we wanted the ball and Darrell Green yelling, "OF COURSE WE WANT THE BALL MAN!"

I remember watching it on ESPN, and as soon as Brad Johnson hit Larry Centers, and Centers took just 2 steps Paul Maguire said, "This game is over....there's no one in front of him it's over."

I also remember the coin-flip the ref asked if we wanted the ball and Darrell Green yelling, "OF COURSE WE WANT THE BALL MAN!"

That was great

And that game in itself was great. Even though it was against one of the worst teams in the NFL that year, the fact we had to struggle to clinch the NFC East made that Larry Centers TD all the sweeter

That period of missing the playoffs for 7 straight years felt like a very very long time, and it was absolutley gratifying to see Centers walk into the endzone to clinch it

OT games that stick out for me:

9/12/82

vs Eagles

37-34

In overtime, Monk caught one pass for 27 yards to set the Redskins up at the Philly 42. Three plays later, it was Theismann to Monk again, and Herman Edwards failed in a desperate attempt to knock it down. Monk spun around and rolled down to the nine. Gibbs immediately called for Moseley and his 26-yarder ended it with 4:47 gone in the extra period.

11/3/1991

vs Oilers

16-13

Darrell Green picked off Warren Moon in OT and then Chip hit the chip for the win!!!

Last second wins:

10/2/83

vs Raiders

37-35

Theismann hits Joe Washington from the six yard line to win an "up and down" battle against Plunkett and company with only 43 seconds left in the game.

10/31/83

vs Chargers (MNF)

27-24

After Theismann drove the team 72 yards, Moseley hit the game winning, 37 yard, field goal with only four seconds left on the clock.

:logo:

i remember all those now

This thread was slow starting, but I'm glad all of you have contributed to joggin some good memories. I was trying to start a feel good thread that no one would argue about or get offended about or quote some article written by a mediot. This is what good Redskins fans talk about in the off-season. Good job.

I never said I was 3 when that Skins Vikes game happened. HUH? :D Lets all fight and argue!

I forgot about the game with Michael Westbrooke. That was an amazing catch. It was at that moment when I finally thought that Mike would become the receiver everyone invisioned him to be....

Sigh. So much for that. Did anyone see his cagematch fight? LOL

redskins last superbowl season chip lohmiller made a 50+ yard field goal as time run out pretty much to give us the victory if i remeber correctly

Yeah, that was against Dallass in the 1991 season. He hit a 50 yarder and we won 33-31. Lohmiller was money that day.

if i remember right, i was pretty young but i think that was a 60 yarder EXACTLY. it bounced off the cross bar and over. i also remember a philthy game wherechip put one up at the last second to give us a 1 point victory. i remember that one vividly.

redskins last superbowl season chip lohmiller made a 50+ yard field goal as time run out pretty much to give us the victory if i remeber correctly

I can remember one way back about ten years ago.I remember the skins playing the jets on a sunday night(i think 1996).I am pretty sure we had a punt return for a touchdown with under a minute left in the game.I can remember going nuts. I think it was the same year we went 7-0 at the first half of the season and failed to make the playoffs.

I can remember one way back about ten years ago.I remember the skins playing the jets on a sunday night(i think 1996).I am pretty sure we had a punt return for a touchdown with under a minute left in the game.I can remember going nuts. I think it was the same year we went 7-0 at the first half of the season and failed to make the playoffs.
Crap just checked that wasn't a under a min. in the fourth Quarter game win. The game was close until about seven minutes of play in the fourth Quarter and then we broke lose and scored two unanswered t.d.'s 31-16. :laugh:

if i remember right, i was pretty young but i think that was a 60 yarder EXACTLY. it bounced off the cross bar and over. i also remember a philthy game wherechip put one up at the last second to give us a 1 point victory. i remember that one vividly.

Wasn't a 60 yarder. Only 3 players have hit from 60, Elam 63, Dempsey 63 and Cox 60. It was about 53-54.

Archived