Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/386104/Shinya-Aoki-vs-Eddie-Alvarez-on-April-20-finally/

Shinya Aoki vs. Eddie Alvarez on April 20, finally

A rematch nearly three-and-a-half years in the making is expected to take place on April 20.

MMAjunkie.com today learned that both Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez have verbally agreed to meet at an as-yet-unannounced Bellator 66 event

The pair originally met in December 2008, when Aoki needed just 92 seconds to submit Alvarez via heel hook and claim the WAMMA lightweight crown. Since that meeting, Aoki has pieced together an 11-2 mark, while Alvarez has gone 8-1.

I wonder how many American (and other non-Japanese) fans are going to be there. It would really piss me off to see 80% of the fans quietly focused on the action, while the 20% of Just Bleeders are spilling light beer in anger when the fights go to the ground.

Anyway, hell yeah, very excited for this card. Better enjoy it too, because there is one UFC card between this Saturday night and April 14th.

So when will UFC 144 air here on the east coast? Will it be live or taped delayed since it is in Japan

It still starts at the regular 10pm(est) time. It will be live, although they're showing more fights than usual on the PPV. Unless we get some quick finishes, it probably won't be over until close to 2am on the east.

It would really piss me off to see 80% of the fans quietly focused on the action, while the 20% of Just Bleeders are spilling light beer in anger when the fights go to the ground.

:ols:

Yes, please American fans don't let us down.

The only thing missing is the obligatory freak-show fight :(

The UFC should've picked up the Bob Sapp vs. Rolles Gracie match that happened a few weeks ago.

Anyone else think Edgar/Hendo could be an early candidate for FOTY?

I think so, I think we'll see lots of fireworks in the main event. Also in the LW division, I'm really looking forward to Joe Lauzon/Anthony Pettis which should be an exciting fight. Then there's the FW bout between Hioki/Palaszweski, which will be interesting. If Hioki gets the win he should be next in line to face Aldo, but Palaszewski just had a nice KO win over Tyson Griffin. Then there's Shields/Akiyama, I have to think that if Akiyama loses, he'll be cut and Shields in on a two-fight losing streak too, although I think he'd get one more shot if he somehow lost. And as you mentioned there's the Rampage/Bader and Hunt/Kongo fights. Very exciting card overall.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/27514/glover-teixeira-signs-with-ufc-targeted-for-early-summer-debut.mma

Glover Teixeira signs with UFC, targeted for early-summer debut

by Steven Marrocco and Dann Stupp on Feb 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm ET

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the signing with a source close to the fighter.

The 32-year-old Teixeira is expected to make his promotional debut in early summer, though a specific date and opponent have not been determined.

Teixeira, a 10-year pro, enters the UFC with a 15-fight and six-year win streak. His victories have come over the likes of Ricco Rodriguez, Marvin Eastman, Antonio Mendes, Daniel Tabera and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. Among his 17 career wins, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and grappling champion owns 11 knockouts and four submissions.

Back in August, prior to the victory over Eastman in his native Brazil, Teixeira told MMAjunkie.com he expected to have a visa shortly and wanted to fight in the U.S. with the UFC.

"My goal is to reach the top 10," said Teixeira, who's trained with Chuck Liddell and John Hackleman in California. "I'll fight anywhere, for any promotion, against anyone. I want to keep my rhythm going. The UFC has the best talent in the world. I want to be the best in the world. Because of that, the UFC is my first choice, my dream."

---------- Post added February-21st-2012 at 10:24 PM ----------

Also from Anderson's Twitter:

AmNmDCkCEAEwcod.jpg

I like the idea, now we just need some decent judges.

http://crooklynscorner.com/2012/02/mighty-mouse-signs-debut-agreement-sudden-death-ufc-fox/

Mighty Mouse signs debut agreement for “Sudden Death” round at UFC On FX 2

Demetrious Johnson, the talented bantamweight that now has the opportunity to be the first flyweight champion in the UFC, has signed a landmark bout agreement with ZUFFA for a ‘sudden death’ round for his fight with Ian McCall at UFC on FX 2. The agreement stipulates that if, after 3 rounds, the judges are undecided on a winner, the fight will go to a 4th round, also called “sudden death.” In a recent interview with TapouT Radio, Mighty Mouse detailed the particulars.

“I don’t know if anybody has said anything about it, and this is the first time I’m mentioning it, is that we (McCall and himself) had to sign for a ‘sudden death’ bout. If it goes to three rounds, and the judges can’t decide who the winner is, then we’ll do a fourth round.”

When asked if this new agreement was specific to his fight, or if it was universal for the entire card, Johnson had this to say,

“I’m assuming that it’s for me and Ian McCall. I can’t say if it’s going to be for Joseph (Benavides) and Yasuhiro (Uru****ani), because I’m not gonna say that the UFC made those guys sign, too. I’m telling you, specifically, that I signed a contract for an extra round on the bout agreement. I’m not gonna say that they did. I’m assuming, in my unprofessional opinion, that they did as well.”

Whether this addendum is designed for the introduction of the flyweight division and accompanying tourney, or if it’s something the UFC is instituting for overseas and domestic cards in general, the concept is a good one. For all those times we, as fans, have said ‘One more round!’, this could be the game changer. Hopefully, we get some clarity on the permanence, or lack thereof, for this new twist.

Ariel Helwani: A Night in Tokyo With Rampage Jackson

TOKYO -- MMA Fighting spent Thursday night walking the streets of Tokyo with Quinton Jackson, just days before his first fight back in Japan in six years. Watch below as Jackson speaks candidly about why he loves Japan so much, his PRIDE debut, his legacy, the highs and lows of his MMA career, and much more.

The interview is 45 min and it's really interesting. Walking interviews like this are really cool.

I really can't help but root for Rampage after watching this.

Edited by styx491

I love how Sexyama is just chilling in the back for like 3 minutes :ols::ols: with that ridiculous vest and iphone case

I really liked Joe Lauzon's blog too. I hope he gets this one, Pettis is pretty relentless.

Also:

Edited by styx491