Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

he's a smart fighter, but in plenty of his fights, his striking goes wild at moments. and he does it enough to the point that it would be a problem against someone as accurate as Silva.

See we are all right here. Zo is right, he is a VERY technical fighter. Hendo is one of the best in the game But if he just starts throwin wildly, he'll lose to silva. He is just too accurate.

Luckily his chin is as solid as cement. Rampage knocked him so many times anyone else in the game would have been sleeping on the floor.

I understand you have a huge man crush on GSP, I've seen the pictures. :silly:

Now to educate you on the fight game, walking around at 190 doesn't mean that you can fight at 190. That's like saying "well he cuts 20lbs to make 170 so he can go up 15 and fight 205. He's mad strong for a 170lber but guys like Franklin are cutting from over 200 to make 185. They're a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than GSP. It's simple physics son. A bigger taller guy using his size, strength and leverage will 9 out of 10 times beat the smaller guy. There's a huge size difference between GSP and Silva, HUGE!

to further your point, Silva said in an interview he walks around 205

I understand you have a huge man crush on GSP, I've seen the pictures. :silly:

Now to educate you on the fight game, walking around at 190 doesn't mean that you can fight at 190. That's like saying "well he cuts 20lbs to make 170 so he can go up 15 and fight 205. He's mad strong for a 170lber but guys like Franklin are cutting from over 200 to make 185. They're a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than GSP. It's simple physics son. A bigger taller guy using his size, strength and leverage will 9 out of 10 times beat the smaller guy. There's a huge size difference between GSP and Silva, HUGE!

silva walks around at 195ish. Go check out sherdog.com. Everyone there pretty much syas the same thing as me. He is a HUGE WW. He does have the frame to move up.

PS. i do have a man crush on GSP. he's my hometown hero!

I know i'm gonna get bashed for that but Anderson is severly overrated by most. He is a great fighter but most act like he is unbeatable.

Who has Spida beat seriously??

Leben?

Franklin x2?

Nate the great?

Lutter? who was controlling him pretty well

Really look at that list and be honest.

Even before the UFC, who?

its not so much who he has beaten, its the fact that he has demolished everyone he fought.

its not so much who he has beaten, its the fact that he has demolished everyone he fought.
exactly. he knocks the **** out of the people he is supposed to knock the **** out

It's just that he's beyond their league. I'm reserving judgment on Silva until he fights a real challenger in Henderson. Doing dance steps against Franklin's striking doesn't impress me. And Franklin is the established #2 in middleweight. Don't get me wrong, I think watching Anderson is one of the most entertaining things in the sport. He has such amazing standup technique, but it just looks like it could be overpowered. I think Henderson is a bad matchup for him. But we will see!

silva walks around at 195ish. Go check out sherdog.com. Everyone there pretty much syas the same thing as me. He is a HUGE WW. He does have the frame to move up.

PS. i do have a man crush on GSP. he's my hometown hero!

Silva doesn't use his strength to beat his opponents, he uses his height. If he gets in the ring with a stronger guy he's going to have problems. Lutter worked him for a while because of his ground game and strength it's just that IMO Lutter is pretty one dimensional. It's going to take a pretty well rounded fighter to beat Silva.

That being said I too think he's a little overrated. He hasn't fought a truly complete fighter. That's not his fought, there aren't too many well rounded fighters at 185. Hendo will be his toughest challenge yet. If he hands Hendo his ass then I'll crown him but not until then. Machida looks like he could lose a little off his frame and could drop down to fight him but apparently they're buddies so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

GSP, he's probably the best I've seen in a long time and that was against a great fighter. He'll kill Serra if he fights the way he did last night. Now, I don't think he's the best P4P, his chin is suspect. I don't care what you say, not having your head in the game doesn't make your chin glass. The shot he got caught with wasn't that great IMO and Serra definitely isn't known as a power puncher. You feel me? Again, Hughes is extremely one dimensional. He's a great wrestler but GSP handed him his ass on the ground and thats a testament to just how far his wrestling has evolved. GSP would have problems handling a bigger framed guy if you ask me, especially one thats as accurate as Silva. If you don't have a chin against him you're in big trouble.

Dance04, I hope you know I was just busting your balls about GSP. Nothing wrong with idolizing such a good damn fighter. :applause:

GSP clearly outclassed Matt and frankly that's no surprise after the beating he put on Matt in the 2nd fight. That was a beating that had nothing to do with luck...

speaking of luck, Matt Serra's luck is going to run out when he fight GSP again. I think it was obvious that GSP underestimated him and frankly he landed a single punch that changed everything. Serra as Hughes said, is not an elite fighter and he's going to fall a long way.

As for the Silva and Liddell... his coaches need to be fired. I don't know what they were thinking sending a fighter with a shorter reach to attack a counter puncher. That was a losing strategy from the start. No one can stand in front of Liddell and charge in blindly, he is as hard a hitter as the human body can produce. He doesn't have to knock you out to beat you - if he lands a couple your seeing too many stars to win. Rampage gets him to throw and than exposes Liddell poor defense. Jardine just took him completely out of his comfort zone. Silva tried to stand in front of a buzz saw and punch at it... he got rocked.

BTW - anyone else make a little noise when they saw Liddell shoot? the bar I was at went nuts. lol I didn't see that coming at all.

It's just that he's beyond their league. I'm reserving judgment on Silva until he fights a real challenger in Henderson. Doing dance steps against Franklin's striking doesn't impress me. And Franklin is the established #2 in middleweight. Don't get me wrong, I think watching Anderson is one of the most entertaining things in the sport. He has such amazing standup technique, but it just looks like it could be overpowered. I think Henderson is a bad matchup for him. But we will see!

he's faced good competition, its not like the guys he fought in the UFC were complete bums:

1. Leben: his first fight in the UFC, Leben doesn't have much skill, but has a good chin that Anderson shot through in about 60 secs.

2. Franklin x2: regardless of the way Anderson dominated him, Rich is still a top 5 middleweight. He would beat just about anyone at middleweight not named Silva, Hendo, Filho, or Lindland. dominating a top 5 mw is impressive

3. Marquardt: top 10 mw when they fought, was use take Silva down at will and control the fight. Silva walked through him.

4. Lutter: the only fight that is weak on his UFC resume. Not like he had a choice in fighting since he won The Ultimate Fighter. Anderson had surgery on both knees a couple of months before the fight and still submitted him.

he can only fight who they put in front of him, so you can only judge him based on that.

Silva doesn't use his strength to beat his opponents, he uses his height. If he gets in the ring with a stronger guy he's going to have problems. Lutter worked him for a while because of his ground game and strength it's just that IMO Lutter is pretty one dimensional. It's going to take a pretty well rounded fighter to beat Silva.

That being said I too think he's a little overrated. He hasn't fought a truly complete fighter. That's not his fought, there aren't too many well rounded fighters at 185. Hendo will be his toughest challenge yet. If he hands Hendo his ass then I'll crown him but not until then. Machida looks like he could lose a little off his frame and could drop down to fight him but apparently they're buddies so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

GSP, he's probably the best I've seen in a long time and that was against a great fighter. He'll kill Serra if he fights the way he did last night. Now, I don't think he's the best P4P, his chin is suspect. I don't care what you say, not having your head in the game doesn't make your chin glass. The shot he got caught with wasn't that great IMO and Serra definitely isn't known as a power puncher. You feel me? Again, Hughes is extremely one dimensional. He's a great wrestler but GSP handed him his ass on the ground and thats a testament to just how far his wrestling has evolved. GSP would have problems handling a bigger framed guy if you ask me, especially one thats as accurate as Silva. If you don't have a chin against him you're in big trouble.

Dance04, I hope you know I was just busting your balls about GSP. Nothing wrong with idolizing such a good damn fighter. :applause:

As for Silva vs Hendo, i may have not mentioned it, but I agree 100%. I think that hendo is far and away the best fighter he has faced in the UFC. Like i said, i still think hendo is a top 5 light heavy. It will be very interesting to see hendo's strategy.

As for GSP, matt hughes is considered by many to be the strongest guy at WW. well last night GSP through him around like a rag doll. remember that judo trip? It was crazy! As for his chin, I agree serra is not known for having knock out power, but other then that why do you think his chin is suspect? he has been knocked out once in his career. His loss to serra. Do you recall the Penn fight? He took a BEATING and still pulled out a slightly contreversial win. As for his head, I can't really argue. What I can say tho, is that he looks like a much different fighter since his lose. After that loss he has been seeing a sports psychologist regularly. I think/hope this has helped.

I guess we will agree to disagree. :cheers:

As for machida, it's funny you say that! Me and my buddy were thinking the same thing, that it appears he can easily move down to MW. However, he seems disciplined enough to hang with the boys at 205 so i'll reserve my judgement until its clear he is too small

Also, Assuming GSP wins his title back, what left would he have to prove? He would really only need to fight fitch and diego. After that he will have beaten everyone. A argument could be made for him to fight karo but he beat karo in his first UFC fight. things are much different now. I think the only thing left for him to do would be to move up. This is something he has said himself.

zoed, you really know your stuff. I'm curious as to what you think about the upcoming fights

penn stevenson

mir lesnar

sylvia nogueira

and no offense taken my friend :cheers:

As for the Silva and Liddell... his coaches need to be fired. I don't know what they were thinking sending a fighter with a shorter reach to attack a counter puncher. That was a losing strategy from the start. No one can stand in front of Liddell and charge in blindly, he is as hard a hitter as the human body can produce. He doesn't have to knock you out to beat you - if he lands a couple your seeing too many stars to win. Rampage gets him to throw and than exposes Liddell poor defense. Jardine just took him completely out of his comfort zone. Silva tried to stand in front of a buzz saw and punch at it... he got rocked.

man i couldnt agree more. Problem is, silva's style is to do nothing but attack. Had this fight been in pride he would have won. You could see at least 3 times he almost kicked chuck while he was down.

As for Silva vs Hendo, i may have not mentioned it, but I agree 100%. I think that hendo is far and away the best fighter he has faced in the UFC. Like i said, i still think hendo is a top 5 light heavy. It will be very interesting to see hendo's strategy.

I think this is a great fight and Hendo should give Silva a tough time. He can easily get him out of his comfort zone especially since he's good at dirty boxing. Silva is going to want to get him in the muai tai clinch but I don't think Hendo will allow him to get his knees off like Franklin. IMO Hendo welcomes the clench and uses it as an opportunity to get off with some elbows and keep Silva pressed against the cage.

As for GSP, matt hughes is considered by many to be the strongest guy at WW. well last night GSP through him around like a rag doll. remember that judo trip? It was crazy! As for his chin, I agree serra is not known for having knock out power, but other then that why do you think his chin is suspect? he has been knocked out once in his career. His loss to serra. Do you recall the Penn fight? He took a BEATING and still pulled out a slightly contreversial win. As for his head, I can't really argue. What I can say tho, is that he looks like a much different fighter since his lose. After that loss he has been seeing a sports psychologist regularly. I think/hope this has helped.

Hughes USED to be considered the strongest guy at WW but I think that crown can easily be given to GSP. It wasn't even close, he manhandled Matt. I couldn't believe how he threw him around. I wanted Matt to win just so I could see him and Serra fight but I never thought it was going to happen. GSP is just too well rounded. That being said, I never imagined him throwing Hughes around like he did. He beat him at his own game and it quite possibly put him into retirement. As for GSP's chin, hey like I said Serra KHTFO! Serra ain't Chuck and he put GSP on his ass.

As for machida, it's funny you say that! Me and my buddy were thinking the same thing, that it appears he can easily move down to MW. However, he seems disciplined enough to hang with the boys at 205 so i'll reserve my judgement until its clear he is too small

205 is pretty damn crowded with great fighters. Too many for any one guy to hold the title for a long time like Chuck did previously. Machida could move down to 185 and own that weight class. I was really impressed with his allusivness and he was so damn calm. That's scary.

Also, Assuming GSP wins his title back, what left would he have to prove? He would really only need to fight fitch and diego. After that he will have beaten everyone. A argument could be made for him to fight karo but he beat karo in his first UFC fight. things are much different now. I think the only thing left for him to do would be to move up. This is something he has said himself.

You're right, IMO he'll roll through WW and none of the guys you mentioned will beat him. To solidify his legacy he may have to move up and I'll give him mad props for having the balls to do so win or lose.

zoed, you really know your stuff. I'm curious as to what you think about the upcoming fights

Naw man, you know as much as I do if not more. You've got a pretty good take on things especially for being a youngin. I've been watching this stuff damn near longer than you've been alive that's all.

penn stevenson

mir lesnar

sylvia nogueira

Penn/Stevenson: Depends on which BJ Penn shows up to fight. I've heard how he's rededicated himself to fighting so many times it's rididculus. If he brings his A game I think he'll win, if he doesn't then Stevenson handles him easily.

Mir/Lesnar: The UFC wants Mir to be back so bad, he's the Romo of the UFC. I like the guy but I just didn't see anything in his last fight to get too excited about. Lesnar is a freak of nature. If this dude can translate his strength into the Octagon then he'll be a freaking beast. I'd love to see him and Kimbo square off next, even if he loses. Lesnar is a very gifted athlete especially for his size. It'll definitely be interesting. Don't know what his chin is like yet, you never know, he could have a glass jaw.

Sylvia/Nog: I wouldn't pick Sylivia if he was the last fighter in the world. I can't stand that dude. I hope Nog kicks the **** out of him and he disappears once and for all.

Have a good New Year brother. :cheers:

and no offense taken my friend :cheers:

man i couldnt agree more. Problem is, silva's style is to do nothing but attack. Had this fight been in pride he would have won. You could see at least 3 times he almost kicked chuck while he was down.

I agree, had this fight been in PRIDE Wanderlei probably would have won...but not because of his "attack" style (which matches up well with Chuck's counter attack style), but because of the juice. I had made a comment to D0ubleStr0ker the day before the fight about how these guys from PRIDE who've been juicing and cross over into the UFC are just never successful in the UFC...that's the big reason I picked Chuck. Did anyone notice how much smaller Wanderlei looked Sat. night as opposed to his PRIDE fights? I thought it was quite noticeable.

I read many of the posts about the Henderson/Silvia matchup coming up. I'm just going to say it now, I'm 100% picking Henderson to win. No disrespect to Silva (and if I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to eat crow), but Silva just hasn't had to fight someone of Henderson's calibur since signing with UFC. I don't think Silva will get man-handled by any means, but I definitely have to go with Henderson on this one.

As for GSP, I was totally impressed with his wrestling and ground game the other night. Unbelievable. I might be biased b/c GSP's my favorite fighter, but my boyfriend certainly isn't biased toward GSP (my boyfriend was a collegiate AA wrestler so he always picks the wrestlers), he doesn't like GSP and even he was giving him props.

Gotta agree with you on this one. GSP is a big WW, but I definitely don't think he should move up a weight class. Maybe if he gains about 7-10 more lbs. of muscle where he's cutting down from 200, but not now, where he'd only be cutting 5.

By the way, what was up with the gay as break dancing crap GSP did? What's next, the moon walk?

GSP's done that several times after a win. He's also done quite a few back flips...

Sylvia/Nog: I wouldn't pick Sylivia if he was the last fighter in the world. I can't stand that dude. I hope Nog kicks the **** out of him and he disappears once and for all.

i swear i gotta bad feeling about that fight. i could easily see Sylvia using his reach to keep Nog at bay. Even though he handled Herring pretty well after the initial knockdown scare, Big Nog looked slow, almost like the years of battles caught up with him. I hope it was just him getting used UFC and the whole atmosphere behind that, but Sylvia has just enough skills to make you hate him because he's a tough out.

he's faced good competition, its not like the guys he fought in the UFC were complete bums:

1. Leben: his first fight in the UFC, Leben doesn't have much skill, but has a good chin that Anderson shot through in about 60 secs.

2. Franklin x2: regardless of the way Anderson dominated him, Rich is still a top 5 middleweight. He would beat just about anyone at middleweight not named Silva, Hendo, Filho, or Lindland. dominating a top 5 mw is impressive

3. Marquardt: top 10 mw when they fought, was use take Silva down at will and control the fight. Silva walked through him.

4. Lutter: the only fight that is weak on his UFC resume. Not like he had a choice in fighting since he won The Ultimate Fighter. Anderson had surgery on both knees a couple of months before the fight and still submitted him.

he can only fight who they put in front of him, so you can only judge him based on that.

The fact of the matter is that Middleweight is the weakest division in the UFC. Saying "he beat a top 5 middleweight" still doesn't impress me because of the talent pool there. They aren't bums, that's why they get paid to fight, but the Dolphins get paid to play football, too.

Henderson would rock any of the cats you just mentioned. Plain and simple, this is a different zone Silva would be encountering. The name "Dan Henderson" will stand out like a broken front tooth on Silva's resume. There are questions that will be asked until this fight happens. Nature of the beast. Meaningless to defend him, because he quite honestly hasn't proven himself against an elite pound for pound fighter. Not his fault, he could very well beat Dan, I'm just saying.