Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I had honestly thought about it for a second, but there is no way I could make it work.

That card is a little out of date as Cerrone has stepped in for Stout against Siver.

Oops just noticed that.

Yeah it's a big commitment if you're on the east coast but I'm pretty bummed about missing the local card here especially since there's a title fight on the card and the GSP/Diaz card looks amazing.

GSP hides an average chin behind tremendous speed, technique, and wrestling. Silva is one of the few fighters in the world that has figured out how to put tremendous power in a punch without sacrificing accuracy. Personally I don't think GSP could last long enough to set up a takedown 5 rounds in a row. Unless he's grown a stronger chin his usual speed game wouldn't be enough to save him from catching some of the hardest strikes in MMA.

Bones Jones has a different advantage. He has the longest reach is UFC history. Consider this: Anderson Silva's reach is listed at 77.6 inches. As far as I can tell the only fight in the UFC he's had in which he had a reach disadvantage was against Thales Leites and that was by 0.4 inches. Bones Jones has a 84.5inch reach.

Let's compare that to... the NBA? Kobe Bryant 83inches.

GSP got rocked in one fight where he was in serious trouble and it was right on the ear which if you've sparred enough will know messes your equilibrium up bigtime if caught right. I would'nt say GSP has a weak chin at all based on 1 fight where in my opinion 1 bomb did him in and he never got his head back on straight. I've seen GSP get clipped enough to know he has a good chin that first BJ Penn fight he took a beating in round 1. Not only that but GSP is a far sharper and a much better fighter then he was a few years back.

Anderson is a great striker the best in the game and downright ridiculus. But strong wrestlers will always be his weakness and right now GSP and Jones are great wrestlers with very good top game and submission defense. They way Jones just rag dolled Hammil and Bader was impressive to me beating them at there own game impressively.

Edited by Samuels

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior Dos Santos for the Heavyweight Title on Fox.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Velasquez-Dos-Santos-Title-Tilt-Headlines-UFC-on-Fox-1-35247

I was hoping they would go this route, but never thought they would. Its the perfect fight for a network debut. Neither fighter is really a PPV draw yet, so you're not really hurting the company by giving it away for free. This fight will most likely turn the winner into a ppv draw, particularly if the fight is what we expect it will be. Its the best possible fight to be made right now in the HW division, and there's very little chance of it being a boring fight. I'm just praying they both have an injury free training camp.

Bas Rutten is the man. I would love for him to play a major role in MMA media. ESPN needs to sign him the second they get serious about having MMA segments.

He's great in Inside the MMA on HDNet. I wonder how much longer his contract lasts. I would love to see him on a bigger platform, he's funny as hell, but has the knowledge of the game as well.

Edited by StillUnknown

I was hoping they would go this route, but never thought they would. Its the perfect fight for a network debut. Neither fighter is really a PPV draw yet, so you're not really hurting the company by giving it away for free. This fight will most likely turn the winner into a ppv draw, particularly if the fight is what we expect it will be. Its the best possible fight to be made right now in the HW division, and there's very little chance of it being a boring fight. I'm just praying they both have an injury free training camp.

The heavyweight title itself will be the big draw. There are championship belts, then there's the heavyweight championship belt. They aren't doing it with big name fighters, or particularly savage fighters, they're doing it with the fight that determines the baddest man on the planet. People will want to see that.

Who's fighting again? Doesn't matter, it's for the big boy's belt. The obvious side benefit to this is that Junior and Cain will both gain some popularity, but the belt is the hook, line and sinker to the fringe MMA fans.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

JDS and Cain are also extremely easy to relate to for the a lot of people. Cain is young, Mexican (getting that Latino demographic really well), and he is the force that stopped Brock Lesnar and made him seem like a 4th grader in high school. JDS has that "nice guy" image that GSP has too, except not as exposed as GSP. He is also young since comparatively, 26 is still young in MMA. I'm bringing up their ages because these guys will be in the UFC for a while, so why not start the FOX deal with guys who the viewers will be following for the next decade. This is better than starting with established guys who may or may not be in the UFC in the next couple years.

Plus, as everyone has said, both guys like to actually fight and throw down rather than fight to win (like GSP). Zuffa will be hyping this fight up showing Cain stopping Brock and the KOTN he had on Big Nog (which after Nog's win last weekend is pretty huge), and for JDS showing his KO of Gonzaga, the striking clinic he gave Roy Nelson, and the destruction of Carwin. IMO the easiest way to get someone into MMA is to show excellent striking and "badass" status.

The heavyweight title itself will be the big draw. There are championship belts, then there's the heavyweight championship belt. They aren't doing it with big name fighters, or particularly savage fighters, they're doing it with the fight that determines the baddest man on the planet. People will want to see that.

Who's fighting again? Doesn't matter, it's for the big boy's belt. The obvious side benefit to this is that Junior and Cain will both gain some popularity, but the belt is the hook, line and sinker to the fringe MMA fans.

I get that many people see it that way but I don't. Heavyweight fights are usually far less appealing to me than most of the other weight classes. There is less talent in that weight class and the fighters are slower and seem to tire faster. In this case however where you have two guys around 240 that can really move I'm certain to be watching. Especially with JDS and his crazy accurate hands.

I get that many people see it that way but I don't. Heavyweight fights are usually far less appealing to me than most of the other weight classes. There is less talent in that weight class and the fighters are slower and seem to tire faster. In this case however where you have two guys around 240 that can really move I'm certain to be watching. Especially with JDS and his crazy accurate hands.

Right but that's coming from you, a hardcore MMA fan. Like I said, people on the fringe hear "heavyweight championship of the world" and it flips on the switch.