Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

the same argument you made for Shogun can be made for Rich franklin when he fough Anderson Silva and lost the belt , the facts are , pride fighters so far aren't holding up to the UFC with the exception of 2 fighters thats it , and i agree shogun will be back but he better get in shape I have watched Pride and UFC a LONG time i have seen them all fight , and I'm surprised that Pride competition isn't holding up to the UFC , but the fact is that they simply aren't , although I agree about Fedor , I will wait and see before I buy the hype this time because the other hyped fighters blew it

*edit* Anderson Silva only ofught in Pride 5 times so he isn't really Pride , and Rampage is from here and no stranger to the UFC style either .. so our 2 UFC champs from Pride aren't completely Pride fighters like Cro Cop and Shogun and a few others who have not looked good , in time maybe they will but they have to get better

Rich didn't gas out from lack of training, he got tko'd, his face was smashed in.

Big difference.

You have a lot of pride fighters who haven't fought yet, including the 2 most successfull.

Rich didn't gas out from lack of training, he got tko'd, his face was smashed in.

Big difference.

You have a lot of pride fighters who haven't fought yet, including the 2 most successfull.

exactly, it wasn't so much Franklin gassing as Silva repeated knees to the midsection of Franklin that drained his energy.

Those types of hits can gas you if the fight had lasted more than 2 minutes.

He was hurt, his nose broken and he was rocked.

Exactly right.

That said, Rich Franklin has one of the hardest training regiments I've seen. It's a wonder how he has time to recover from those workouts. Running from exercise machine to exercise machine, no breaks. The guy is a machine. He is the epitome of living the hard working MMA lifestyle.

Man I can't wait to see Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin 2, Silva has become one of my favorite fighters, I'm a big fan of strikers and his fights are always exciting from a muay thai perspective.

I bet Franklin has been training hard on fighting from the clinch.

Also, the Vera/Sylvia match has me pumped.

I don't think it has to do with Pride fighters being overrated.

For one, the rules of UFC and Pride are different, and I think the rules of UFC hurt guys who have fought most of their career in Pride. Shogun for example, he has devastating knees and stomps, but those are illegal in UFC. In Pride, when he knocked an opponent down, he could knee them and stomp them, that was a big part of his game, and now he cannot do that. It takes time to adjust your fighting style.

Secondly, people forget, UFC, PRIDE, IFL, BODOG etc....these are ALL Profressional Fighters, and everyone has a fair chance at winning/losing. That is why UFC has such a hard time setting up long term "big fights" because too often Dana White counts on certain guys winning, which will set up a superfight in the future, but then the wrong guy wins and all his advertising dollars go wasted.

Also, this "UFC Fighter" vs. "Pride Fighter" comparison is garbage too, because as early as five years ago, so many MMA fighters went back and forth between promotions because the sport wasn't as big and fighters had to fight more often to make money.

Quinton Jackson is an elite fighter because of HIM and his trainers, not because he comes from Pride or because he is now in UFC.

A lot of casual/new fans to MMA don't understand the dynamics of the sport and they just want to jump on the bandwagon of the next big thing everytime they see a show.

I don't think it has to do with Pride fighters being overrated.

For one, the rules of UFC and Pride are different, and I think the rules of UFC hurt guys who have fought most of their career in Pride. Shogun for example, he has devastating knees and stomps, but those are illegal in UFC. In Pride, when he knocked an opponent down, he could knee them and stomp them, that was a big part of his game, and now he cannot do that. It takes time to adjust your fighting style.

Secondly, people forget, UFC, PRIDE, IFL, BODOG etc....these are ALL Profressional Fighters, and everyone has a fair chance at winning/losing. That is why UFC has such a hard time setting up long term "big fights" because too often Dana White counts on certain guys winning, which will set up a superfight in the future, but then the wrong guy wins and all his advertising dollars go wasted.

Also, this "UFC Fighter" vs. "Pride Fighter" comparison is garbage too, because as early as five years ago, so many MMA fighters went back and forth between promotions because the sport wasn't as big and fighters had to fight more often to make money.

Quinton Jackson is an elite fighter because of HIM and his trainers, not because he comes from Pride or because he is now in UFC.

A lot of casual/new fans to MMA don't understand the dynamics of the sport and they just want to jump on the bandwagon of the next big thing everytime they see a show.

thats a pretty good summation.

i never really looked at fighters as UFC or Pride specific fighters, i simply see them as fighters.

Tank Abbott is a DUMBASS, he was just on the Savage Dog show on the radio and talked **** about pretty much every big name in MMA, Randy, Tito, Chuck, Fedor, he said he could beat any of their asses and that it may take 4-6 months of training but he would beat Fedor.

After that he proceeded to kiss a bunch of professional wrestlers' asses and talk about how tough they are. Then he said that if anyone is under 200lbs that they should just put on a dress and be a woman because they're definitely not a man and there's no way they can be tough.

Then he called Kimbo a "gay Mr. T" and said he was going to whip his ass bad too. And then he kept bragging about drinking and getting into fights drunk. I can't wait until October 12th, this guy is a tomato can and Kimbo is going stomp through his ass in round 1.

In response to the recent comments here about Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva:

I'm struggling to remember a more one-sided MMA bout in the last 5 years than Franklin-Silva 1. I actually felt pity for Franklin. I cannot in any way see him faring much better in the upcoming rematch. The only way I can imagine him lasting longer this time is by literally running from Silva for as long as he can. Does anyone here think Franklin can win this fight?

In response to the recent comments here about Rich Franklin vs. Anderson Silva:

I'm struggling to remember a more one-sided MMA bout in the last 5 years than Franklin-Silva 1. I actually felt pity for Franklin. I cannot in any way see him faring much better in the upcoming rematch. The only way I can imagine him lasting longer this time is by literally running from Silva for as long as he can. Does anyone here think Franklin can win this fight?

Anderson Silva vs. Chris Leben was pretty one sided as well :laugh:

Touche, Still. :)

So do YOU think Rich even has a remote chance?

2007 has taught me to never assume anything in regards to an MMA match, that being said, i only give Franklin a slim puncher's chance to win this fight.

Silva has way better stand-up

Silva has better bjj

Silva proved he's just as, if not stronger than Franklin by dominating him the clench. Rich relies on the fact that he's a big MW in alot of his fights, if he can't over power people he's in trouble.

Franklin has good takedowns, but if Marquardt couldn't keep Silva on the ground, i really don't see Franklin being able too.

Franklin only has the slimmest of chances in this fight.

2007 has taught me to never assume anything in regards to an MMA match, that being said, i only give Franklin a slim puncher's chance to win this fight.

Silva has way better stand-up

Silva has better bjj

Silva proved he's just as, if not stronger than Franklin by dominating him the clench. Rich relies on the fact that he's a big MW in alot of his fights, if he can't over power people he's in trouble.

Franklin has good takedowns, but if Marquardt couldn't keep Silva on the ground, i really don't see Franklin being able too.

Franklin only has the slimmest of chances in this fight.

Silva is technical, but he lacks power in that division.

Franklin has a good chance against Silva, but Silva is probably a 2 to 1 favorite.

Silva was loosing his last match with Ludder(I think that was his name) when he busted out that submission triangle.

If Franklin doesn't get Silva here, then Henderson will be the one to do it.

Silva is technical, but he lacks power in that division.

Franklin has a good chance against Silva, but Silva is probably a 2 to 1 favorite.

Silva was loosing his last match with Ludder(I think that was his name) when he busted out that submission triangle.

If Franklin doesn't get Silva here, then Henderson will be the one to do it.

a couple of points:

Silvas last title defense was against Marquardt, the Lutter fight was before that. In the Lutter fight, Silva was coming off surgery on both knees which is why he got taken down as easily as he did.

Silva has alot of power at 185. Leben may not be a great fighter, but he has a great chin, and Silva broke it quickly. Silva also showed power in his strikes against Franklin with the knees to the body, and in his fight against Marquardt with a straight right hand that sent Marquardt backwards into the cage.

i would love to see henderson/silva fight. i think henderson could take Silva down at will and control him for a decision victory. Henderson's problem is that he thinks he's a better striker than he is and i think he would make the mistake of standing with Silva. Henderson while having a ton of power, is not a technical striker. I think Silva is too technical to get caught with Hendo's looping overhand right. I'm not sure if Silva would KO henderson, as he's never been KO'd before, but i think Silva would win a stand-up bout against him.

i really hope this fight is made.