Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/10/cain-velasquez-out-mark-hunt-fabricio-werdum-set-for-interim-title-at-ufc-180?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez is injured and unable to fight Fabricio Werdum at UFC 180, a UFC official today confirmed to MMAjunkie.

Yahoo! Sports’ Kevin Iole first reported that the champ injured his knee and Mark Hunt has stepped in to fight Werdum for the interim title at the pay-per-view event in Mexico City. UFC brass subsequently made an official announcement.

A source close to Velasquez’s camp also confirmed the injury and said the fighter injured his right meniscus. Velasquez was benched for several months in 2012 after injuring his knee prior to a TKO loss to Junior Dos Santos at UFC on FOX 1.

UFC 180 takes place Nov. 15 at Arena Mexico in Mexico City. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass. Velasquez, as a Mexican-American champion, was to be the long-talked about major draw for the UFC for its first event in Mexico.

Cain stay injured smh.

Would be pretty awesome if Hunt held a title, even if it is an interim belt. All fights still start on the feet, he has to land that killshot before Werdum ties him into the world's largest pretzel.

Bull****, I know JDS already lost twice to Cain, but Hunt doesn't deserve it. Also, the UFC apparently ****ed up Cung Lees drug test, he was innocent.

JDS is booked with Miocic, a fight Junior already pulled out of. When you look at it not as a JDS fan but from a UFC marketing perspective it makes sense: they need to build up other contenders-like Miocic & pulling him from a fight with JDS again means you have to reschedule that fight before a title fight since all other competitors at 265 aren't all that. If JDS wins the interim belt, do you really want to see JDS Cain 4? As a JDS fan that might be a yes but not too many other people do.

If Hunt somehow wins-and Dear God, Buhdda, Vishnu, Mohammed & Ron L Hubbard PLEASE let me see hunt with gold around fat belly- then you have 2 fights for Cain lined up with Hunt & Werdum waiting in the wings.

If JDs wins you get a fight you can't sell but at least if Hunt wins you have options. Hunt was also looking for a fight.

I gotta laugh, I pointed this out a while ago with how shallow the talent is at 265, all it takes is one injury to a key fighter to throw the whole division into a panic.

As for Cung, that's what happens when you pay the cheapest non accredited lab in Hong Kong to do your lab tests. I work in the lab business & have heard of that lab, it's like 1 step above taking a home pregnant test at that place, hardly any actual lab techs at all, just a bunch of machine operators who would have no way to verify anything-if machine says yes, then it's a yes, so I'm not that surprised.

Are we really expected to spend money on UFC 179 this weekend? Spend my Saturday at friggin' Hooters? Looks like another card I'll be reading the play by play of. Won't even start reading 'til the co-main.

Jose Also vs. Chad Mendes

Glover Teixeira vs. Phil Davis

Fabio Maldonado vs Hans Stringer

Darren Elkins vs. Lucas Martins

Carlos Ferreira vs. Beneil Dariush

Really?

Are we really expected to spend money on UFC 179 this weekend? Spend my Saturday at friggin' Hooters? Looks like another card I'll be reading the play by play of. Won't even start reading 'til the co-main.

Jose Also vs. Chad Mendes

Glover Teixeira vs. Phil Davis

Fabio Maldonado vs Hans Stringer

Darren Elkins vs. Lucas Martins

Carlos Ferreira vs. Beneil Dariush

Really?

UFC went with the "quantity over quality" model, and this is the result. I love everything about Aldo's game, but I'm not paying $55 for that card. Lately I haven't even bothered "streaming" the weak PPV's. 

UFC went with the "quantity over quality" model, and this is the result. I love everything about Aldo's game, but I'm not paying $55 for that card. Lately I haven't even bothered "streaming" the weak PPV's.

Like I eluded to a little while back, the WEC was free. Aldo was merking fools even worse back then. The cards were better than this one. Heck, there are free cards these days better than PPVs. It's baffling.

Maldonado was getting dominated for nearly 2 rounds, as Stringer's strategy to take it to the ground and keep it on the ground, seemed to be working perfectly. But in an ironic twist, Maldonado, known for his boxing, flipped position on the ground in a snap, and within a matter of seconds grounds and pounds Stringer to a 2nd round TKO. Quite a comeback in a very sharp turn of events. Then Anderson Silva, jumps onto the cage fence, and hugs and congratulates Maldonado.

And speaking of Silva - after an easy UD win over Texieria - Phil Davis just called out Anderson for his next fight,

Said he wants to keep up his streak of beating up Brazilians

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

Phil Davis rules, that is all.  I refuse to listen to counter-arguments ;)

With a claim like that, now I don't feel so crazy and embarrassed to admit that I have bought into the hype of the great Conor McGregor, and that the little man will soon be champ. :)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Conner's a wildman, him vs. Aldo would be epic. I say do it now before anything happens. Like Aldo losing or getting injured, or Siver pulling the big upset. Who knows? Huge, enormous, insane fight that would be. Has July 4th weekend written all over it.

I can see either guy winning via TKO, I give Aldo the edge going the distance.