Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Brock as a coach doesn't make any sense to me. Will JDS have a translator for the whole show? Sounds like a bad idea to me plus if Brock wins why do we fans have to suffer through cain vs Brock 2.

Brock will be a great wrestling coach, but it will be interesting to see who he brings in to help with BJJ and striking. Dos Santos' english actually is not that bad. It is probably better than Nogueira's was on TUF, and it has been improving.

It was a surprising selection to me; I was actually expecting Edgar and Maynard because it fit in well with when the fight would probably scheduled. I am just happy that Wandy is not involved because although I would not have minded him being on the show, I did not want him to be on the shelf for that long. This certainly will be entertaining if nothing else, and who knows, the experience could end up making these guys better fighters as well.

Edited by lovetoaster

Brock will be a great wrestling coach, but it will be interesting to see who he brings in to help with BJJ and striking. Dos Santos' english actually is not that bad. It is probably better than Nogueira's was on TUF, and it has been improving.

he'll probably bring in Rodrigo "Comprido" Meideiros for bjj

dude's a beast on the ground, multiple time world champ and has been Lesnar's main bjj trainer since he started MMA training

Brock as a coach doesn't make any sense to me. Will JDS have a translator for the whole show? Sounds like a bad idea to me plus if Brock wins why do we fans have to suffer through cain vs Brock 2.

Suffer? Did you suffer through the first one? That was a very exciting fight. I'm sure the next one will be too when they eventually fight again. If JDS loses he will probably just need one win to get his shot. Mir-Nelson is booked, and Carwin is booked vs vs. the always tough TBD. Wonder who that will be. Nog? Barry?

Suffer? Did you suffer through the first one? That was a very exciting fight. I'm sure the next one will be too when they eventually fight again. If JDS loses he will probably just need one win to get his shot. Mir-Nelson is booked, and Carwin is booked vs vs. the always tough TBD. Wonder who that will be. Nog? Barry?

Barry is fighting on the "fight for the troops" card i think.

I dont want to picture Nog taking one of carwin's punches

Who else could it be? Cro Cop is fighting Shcuab. Struve is booked..... Can't think of anyone else.

There is not much out there that is not committed to a fight other than Big Nog. I don't know what Ben Rothwell's injury status is...he should be ready to come back in the next few months. Maybe Kongo? Maybe Heath Herring is coming back :ols:

Edited by lovetoaster

Strikeforce's Josh Barnett skipping CSAC hearing, commission will rule anyway

by Steven Marrocco on Jan 12, 2011 at 9:15 am ET

It appears for now that Josh Barnett will not go before the California State Athletic Commission prior his appearance in Strikeforce's upcoming heavyweight grand prix.

Barnett missed a Jan. 10 deadline to address a fight-license application he filed with CSAC two months after signing a contract with the California-based promotion.

CSAC officials will move forward anyway during a Feb. 4 meeting in Los Angeles and make a ruling on the application, CSAC Executive Director George Dodd on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com).

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22064/strikeforces-josh-barnett-skipping-csac-hearing-commission-will-rule-anyway.mma

Would I be crazy for thinking this is a GREAT bet? I just don't see JDS handling Lesnar's size. Maybe I'm not giving him enough respect. I suspect this line to flip-flop as we get closer to the fight.

I'm thinking of taking Lesnar at those odds and then hedge it closer to fight time when I'm pretty sure it will move the other way.

No, JDS can't stop Lesnar's takedown the whole fight, but after watching Lesnar flail around after getting hit by Cain, JDS may only need to land one jab then open it up for a TKO.

I'm thinking of taking Lesnar at those odds and then hedge it closer to fight time when I'm pretty sure it will move the other way.

No, JDS can't stop Lesnar's takedown the whole fight, but after watching Lesnar flail around after getting hit by Cain, JDS may only need to land one jab then open it up for a TKO.

IMO, there's a huge difference between Cain and JDS. Cain is a great wrestler. Let's not forget that Lesnar did take Cain down a couple of times, just couldn't keep him down. I think that's the difference between him and every other opponent Lesnar has fought. I'm not a Lesnar fan, so I'm definitely open to suggestions. :) Just don't think JDS can do much of anything to keep Lesnar from the GnP.

Edited by herrmag

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22085/strikeforce-clarifies-tourney-rules-three-round-fights-overeems-title-not-up-for-grabs.mma

While the buzz surrounding Strikeforce's recently announced heavyweight grand prix has been immense, understanding of the specifics of the tourney has been a bit less than ideal.

Today, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker clarified many of the questions that needed to be addressed.

First up, Alistair Overeem's title will not be on the line in the tournament. And while there were some suggestions that every fight in the tournament would be contested as five-round affairs, instead, that will only happen in the grand prix finals, when a newly created Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix title will be on the line.

"All quarterfinal and semifinal matches will be scheduled for three, five-minute rounds," Coker said. "The tournament final will be five, five-minute rounds for the Strikeforce world grand prix championship."

The grand prix champion would then get first crack at Overeem. Of course, if the Dutchman cleans house in the eight-man bracket, he's imply add another belt to his already impressive trophy case.

Strikeforce's heavyweight grand prix, featuring such luminaries as Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem, former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett, PRIDE great Fedor Emelianenko and others, kicks off on Feb. 12 at "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Silva," which takes place at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

With the heavyweight grand prix set up as an eight-man, multi-night, single-elimination tournament, draws could prove problematic along the way. In order to address that, Coker said a fourth judge will be on hand in each fight to determine which fighter will advance from the tie (similar to the "must win" format used by World Victory Road's Sengoku promotion).

"If any fight results in a draw, an independent fourth judge will determine who advances or who wins based on the fighter's overall performance in the fight," Coker said. "We will have a fourth judge on hand scoring the fight independently of the three that we normally have."

The final question mark in terms of tournament format involved potential injuries to the eight competitors. If a winner suffers a serious issue, who continues on in the bracket?

"If a fighter qualifies to advance in the tournament but for any reason can not advance, we're forming a five-person tournament-review committee who will select a fighter to advance in his place," Coker said. "This fighter will be chosen from a pool of fighters that will include the previous opponent and the winners of reserve matches."

Coker said the tournament-review committee will be headed by Strikeforce rules director Cory Schafer.

While the final regulations for the tournament represent a small shift from the ruleset originally expected to oversee the ambitious grand prix, Coker said the ultimate goal was simplicity and not any specific concerns related to overseeing athletic commissions.

"In this tournament, everybody has to climb the same mountain," Coker said. "To make it simple, just like they do in Japan, ... the tournament champion will stand on his own. We'll have our heavyweight champion and a tournament champion."

Coker said the dates for the semifinals and finals of the tournament have yet to be decided, but he estimates the second round of the bracket is likely for late June or early July.

Further details are expected to be announced shortly. Showtime executive Ken Hershman said the premium cable channel is making a Showtime broadcast a priority for all three rounds of the grand prix, he believes a pay-per-view slot for on of the rounds may be "inevitable."