Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Injured Shane Carwin pulls out of UFC 125 co-main event with Roy Nelson

A back injury and expected surgery have forced Shane Carwin (12-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) out of his UFC 125 co-main-event fight with fellow heavyweight Roy Nelson (15-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC).

After dealing with back pain, the former title challenger underwent an MRI on Monday that detected an injury that "may really require surgery," he wrote on his official website, shane-carwin.com.

UFC officials have not announced his withdrawal from the UFC 125 card, which takes place Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Carwin vs. Nelson was slated as the co-headliner behind a lightweight title fight between champion Frankie Edgar and challenger Gray Maynard, which airs on pay-per-view.

With ample time available, UFC officials likely will find a replacement for Carwin. Theoretically, UFC 121 fighters Brock Lesnar (who lost his title to Cain Velasquez) and Brendan Schaub (who defeated Gabriel Gonzaga) are options. So, too, is Frank Mir, who's coming off a September win over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21157/injured-shane-carwin-pulls-out-of-ufc-125-co-main-event-with-roy-nelson.mma

Well I was looking forward to this fight until I saw this news earlier today. I expect to see Mir stepping in, but we'll see what happens.

Edited by lovetoaster

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21157/injured-shane-carwin-pulls-out-of-ufc-125-co-main-event-with-roy-nelson.mma

Well I was looking forward to this fight until I saw this news earlier today. I expect to see Mir stepping in, but we'll see what happens.

Mir would be a good replacement IMO. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Brock step in and take on Nelson. Nelson hits hard and has a superior ground game, he would give Lesnar problems.

Edited by #98QBKiller

Good news IMO:

http://www.cagepotato.com/lorenzo-fertitta-says-ufc-might-do-st-pierre-silva-next-summer

Lorenzo Fertitta Says the UFC Might Do St-Pierre-Silva Next Summer

It looks like a GSP vs. Anderson Silva match-up might be closer than anticipated.

Dana White brushed off the potential blockbuster bout this summer as being something that likely won't happen for a while, but according to his partner, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta, the fight may happen as early as next summer if both fighters continue to dominate in their respective divisions.

"I want to see that fight," Fertitta said during a Q&A session in London ahead of UFC 120. "That's probably the one fight I really want to see the most."

For that to happen, Silva will have to get by former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort in February and St-Pierre faces fellow TUF 12 coach and MMA superheel Josh Koscheck in December. White has also held steadfast to his assertion that Jake Shields will face the winner of that bout, so it may still be a while off if he gets his way.

According to Fertitta, though, as a fan, he's more keen on making the superfight than another one-sided main event title match-up.

"'GSP has to get past Koscheck; Anderson Silva has to get past Vitor Belfort. If that happens, there's a really good likelihood that we could see that fight – probably some time next summer. ... If these guys keep winning their fights, I think it will definitely happen," Fertitta explained. "One of the things we wanted to do was allow both of these guys to continue to get through their divisions – meaning there were a lot of contenders that deserved title shots. Because they're in different weightclasses, we wanted to let that all play out before we put those two guys together. But I mean we're getting to a point where they've pretty much cleaned out the division. Maybe it's time to watch them and see what happens."

Lorenzo seems like a rational guy. Maybe we need to have a sit down with him to discuss our up-in-the-air credential situation.

Love to see Nelson/Lesnar. Nelson is the Chris Leben of the heavyweight division. Fatter, a fairly more technical ground game, but still has a ****in' awesome resiliance. I'm a Roy Nelson fan. He was confident in TUF like he should of been, he took Dana's ****...and won every fight on the show like a ringer. Which he was.

I like Shane Carwin, as of now, pending the turnout of the steroids allegations. You have to wonder what his job description is. That is, away from the octagon. Does the guy hammer granite ala-Rambo II? I'm assuming something close to that. So his strength training can derive from his job...that's pretty awesome IMO.

The steroids thing is still up in the air for me. Did the guy barely cross the red line or was he trying to sneak a hundred miles over it?

This all being said, Nelson would be absolutely dwarfed by Lesnar, but could easily KO him. Nelson is no bull****. The guy can wing some leather and has a beastly chin. The guy has amazing resolve and can eat cheeseburgers because of it.

Roy Nelson/Lesnar all the way. Do it. Amazing fight.

Mir would be a good replacement IMO. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Brock step in and take on Nelson. Nelson hits hard and has a superior ground game, he would give Lesnar problems.

I think Brock is probably looking at a lengthy suspension from the athletic commission from that cut. So that would likely eliminate him, and even if it didn't, I think he is going to take a little time away to kill some animals in the great white north. If Mir takes the Nelson fight, it could still set up Lesnar-Mir III in spring if he does not get hurt, or even Carwn-Lesnar II as soon as he is back from injury.

There really is not anyone else that is worthy of taking the co-main event slot. Big Nog is still out, I would want to see Schaub and Nelson again, but that is not going to get the general public fired up. Same thing with Rothwell-Nelsson, although Big Ben is still out as well.

I like Shane Carwin, as of now, pending the turnout of the steroids allegations. You have to wonder what his job description is. That is, away from the octagon. Does the guy hammer granite ala-Rambo II? I'm assuming something close to that. So his strength training can derive from his job...that's pretty awesome IMO.

The steroids thing is still up in the air for me. Did the guy barely cross the red line or was he trying to sneak a hundred miles over it?

I don't think he hammers granite much as an engineer. Although I could be wrong. And yes, that would be awesome.

If this goes anywhere, I bet the story doesn't really end up going anywhere since it was a few years ago and before he was in the UFC. Kinda like the Santana Moss thing.

He has always been a big guy. This is from college a while back:

d876ac711cc6e177c63cd2bde66218d8.jpg

As for the Sliva-GSP fight, I know Lorenzo wants to see it and I think it will eventually happen, but I don't think it will happen as soon as he thinks it will. I think if GSP wins, he still gets Shields first. I think Shields and Fitch should probably fight first, but it seems like Jake has been promised a title shot.

Edited by lovetoaster

Georges should not fight Silva. It's too far out if his size range, no matter what weight limit is involved. Spider walks around at 210 pounds. If Serra could knock GSP out, Silva will put him in a coma.

GSP walks around at 185, and by looking at recent pics he appears to have put on some muscle. I think GSP's takedowns make the fight interesting, especially after seeing what Sonnen did to Anderson before getting tapped in the 5th. I still think Anderson wins but i think it will be competitive.

GSP walks around at 185, and by looking at recent pics he appears to have put on some muscle. I think GSP's takedowns make the fight interesting, especially after seeing what Sonnen did to Anderson before getting tapped in the 5th. I still think Anderson wins but i think it will be competitive.

Not that I expect Kos to beat GSP, but I do find it dubious behavior for the UFC to be announcing future fights for St. Pierre when he hasn't defended his title from his already-scheduled opponent. The last time I remember this happening was when he was approaching his first Serra fight. I think they were talking about him fighting BJ Penn again.

Not that I expect Kos to beat GSP, but I do find it dubious behavior for the UFC to be announcing future fights for St. Pierre when he hasn't defended his title from his already-scheduled opponent. The last time I remember this happening was when he was approaching his first Serra fight. I think they were talking about him fighting BJ Penn again.

Yeah, I think GSP wins but Kos is good enough to beat him on the right night too, IMO. Koscheck is a lot better fighter than Dan Hardy, so I hope GSP is preparing.

:ols: "Do you worry about this MMA Math?" That's one of the dumbest questions I've heard asked to a fighter.

That's why I normally stay away from the "MMA Heat" videos. I really can't stand that woman. It just does not sound like she has any idea what she is talking about, and she asks some ridiculous questions. I am pretty happy that she is no longer on the CBS broadcasts.

[video=youtube;SedMCSyvai4]I still don't know why K-1 isn't popular in the states all the casual MMA fans that boo and want to see a standup war would love it.

I completely agree. Nowadays, this is what I tell casual fans that complain about grappling in MMA. Imagine if these guys were wearing 4oz gloves too. :yikes:

:applause::applause::applause::wavetowel

So glad to hear this, we all knew it was going to happen eventually. The only thing that sucks is that adding the lower weight classes will automatically make UFC's PPVs better...which will mean I'll have to order more of them. :ols:

IThe only thing that sucks is that adding the lower weight classes will automatically make UFC's PPVs better...which will mean I'll have to order more of them. :ols:

It certainly does make for some interesting matchups at the lower weight classes. I wonder who Aldo's first title defense will be against in January? It is probably too soon of a turnaround for Grispi and when he was asked about Hominick, Dana sounded noncommital about him although I think that would be a great fight. I wonder if someone from 155 is moving down? It is not going to be Florian, as he walks around at 175.

Edited by lovetoaster

Aldo is defending his title at UFC 125, no opponent named yet

i wouldn't mind seeing Cerrrone fight Florian

i'm not giving the Henderson/Pettis winner much of a chance against the Edgar/Maynard winner though :ols:

Cerrone-Florian would be a good fight, but it will be a while as Cerrone is on the Dec. WEC card and Florian is fighting Dunham at UFC 126.

I would not give Pettis much of a chance against Edgar/Maynard at this point, but I would give Henderson a decent chance.

So that was the big announcement. This is awesome. :)

It is really awesome. There are some good matchups available, and the fighters make more money, but unfortunately it means less free MMA for us in the short term at least. They will do two more UFC events on Versus in 2011 (four total), but as they usually have six WEC cards, we lose four events. Contractually, they can only do four events on Versus. I am guessing that we will see more once contracts are up, and Dana is hinting at a network deal again as well as the forming of a UFC network of some sort.

Edited by lovetoaster