Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Obviously I wouldn't oppose it but I think they'd better concentrate on getting BJJ into the Olympics first. There's a big push to make it happen in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/mma/02/19/ufc.olympics.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

i would love to see BJJ in the olympics, but i'm not sure there are enough countries to make it competitive. Brazil would get gold in damn near every weight class, with the US & Japan battling it out for silver & bronze

i'm surprised Dana would want MMA in the olympics, he would have next to no control. i cant imagine Dana would be too happy about the prospect of Lesnar vs. Fedor on the olympic stage where he wouldn't be able to make money off it

Edited by StillUnknown

i would love to see BJJ in the olympics, but i'm not sure there are enough countries to make it competitive. Brazil would get gold in damn near every weight class, with the US & Japan battling it out for silver & bronze

I think that's part of the reason why 2016 is the target year for proponents of BJJ in the Olympics. As fast as BJJ is growing I don't think there would be enough competitive athletes from enough countries by 2012. OTOH, if you look at Judo at the Olympics, Japan is far and away the most competitive country with the most athletes in the sport. No other country really compares.

UFC 110: Pride on the Line, picks::::::

Cro Cop vs. The Hippo: Yes, The Hippo. I mean yes those things are ferocious animals but when I hear the word "Hippo" I think of some clumsy The Far Side cartoon or that purple dancing hippo. I guess it's better than "The Athlete". Ugh, I'm just delaying. All there is to point out is that The Hippo is a second degree BJJ black belt under Carlos Machado. Cro Cop, TKO, round 1.

Keith Jardine vs. Ryan Bader: Bader has a huge right hand and Jardine has fine china for a chin. Bader should push this fight and not get sucked in to Jardine's pick-you-apart world. Both Rampage and Chuck fell in to that trap, it very well could happen to Bader. I'm betting against it, Bader, KO, round 1.

Joe Stevenson vs. Gorge Metropolis: I like to go against the grain, so I'll throw a penny in the pool and bet on this being fight of the night. Metropolis hasn't faced anybody of Joe Dad's level yet, but I think he's ready. He gains confidence every time he goes out there. Joe Daddy is by far no joke. It's a toss-up to me, this fight can end anywhere in any fashion by either guy. I'll go with George by Unanimous Decision.

Wandy vs. Bisping's Island: I really want Wand to win this, and he's got more than a puncher's chance, but the biggest thing everyone is worried about is his gas tank being at 185 for the first time. Bisping, however epic his burial at UFC 100 was, is a guy that can really put together a beat down when he gains momentum. If Bisping gets inside and starts throwing those knee/short punch combinations, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wandy fold up. The problem is Wandy usually either goes to sleep from one bomb or fires one back and lands a game changer. I don't expect Wand to win rounds in this fight, but I do expect him to land at least one good shot to the chin. Wand, counter shot with a G&P finish.

Big Noggin vs. Cain Velasquez: Man, did that fight against Randy put a cloud of fog over top the beginning of Nog's UFC career or what? Yeah he beat Heath and Tim, but only Scott Smith pays for wins worse than Nog does. He looked in better shape against Randy and looks to be in good shape here. He's going to need it, and Cain is going to need to fight seriously disciplined. Cain's ground positioning is fantastic. He doesn't have huge pop or a threat of submissions down there, but Big Nog's worst enemy has always been waiting for submission or sweep openings while taking an ass-beating on the ground. I think Nog wins this on the feet, and I think he'll sweep Cain and lock in an arm triangle. Nog, arm triangle, round 3.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Greetings from Bolivia! I;ve been here for 6 days now. Well, left six days ago. Been here for 5. No TV where I am, so no fights unless the internet drastically improves at night. We;ll see. I may be on here asking questions while reading the pbp somewhere.

I have been excited about this one for a while. I am going with Nog and Wandy. I just think that Cain is a little overrated at this point in his career, and Big Nog is quite a step up in competition. Cain is obviously good, but I think this is the night he gets his first loss. Big Nog via UD.

And I will be honest, I am going to have a hard time looking at the Wandy-Bisping fight objectively. I am a huge fan of Silva and Bisping is one of my least favorite. Wandy has been on quite a cold streak for a while, but I am hoping that the drop to 185 helps. Bisping just has not impressed me much recently. He nearly got decapitated by Hendo and then beat up Kang, who did not really look like he wanted to be there. What a disappointing fight that was. But I digress. Wandy TKO, round 2.

Hell, I am also looking forward to a few other fights on the card like Bader-Jardine and Stevenson-Sotiropoulos. I love Cro Cop, but after the last few fights, it is difficult to get really excited. I keep hoping that the old Mirko will appear, but that is getting less and less likely. I also hope to see the Dolloway-Reljic fight. It will be interesting to see how Reljic looks after such a long layoff.

Pretty darn good card on paper, IMO.

I agree with every word here, except the Cro Cop parr. I gave up on him after Kongo. He is done. Should get by this guy though. I;d of picked Rothwell.

i'm surprised Dana would want MMA in the olympics, he would have next to no control. i cant imagine Dana would be too happy about the prospect of Lesnar vs. Fedor on the olympic stage where he wouldn't be able to make money off it

I;d think they would use amateurs, but maybe not.

My picks:

Nog. He will out box Cain and eventually submit him.

Wandy. Just can;t pick Bisping.

Bader. I think he is going places.

Joe Daddy. Another level from George.

I really hope the streams are working for me. Great fights tonight.

Internet is too slow to go back and link. Mir said he wants to break Brock;s neck and cause the first death in MMA. That dude really knows how to sell a fight. He really should be pissing Brock off though. We all saw what happened when he did that last time.

UFC 110: Mirko's Day Off... and It Might Not Pay Off.

Stephan Bonnar vs Krystof Soszinski: Bonnar's only chance is his cardio. Soszinski is more dangerous on the ground and probably hits/kicks harder than Stephan but if Bonnar stays out of trouble I think he can stay a lot more active than a generally lazy opportunist in Krystof. I'm really tempted to pick Krystof by submission (I'm sure most people are going with him) but I just don't trust his motivational motor or his stamina yet.

Bonnar by decision, maybe even split.

CB "Sneerface" Dollaway vs. Goran Reljic: CB sure has some sweet moves but he's a bit like Guillard in that he gets caught in chokes. Goran is tough and undefeated but may be carrying some cage rust. Tough call here. I flipped a coin.

Reljic by submission, late round 2.

Keith Jardine vs. Ryan Bader: Bader is way too well-rounded to lose this fight. He's got heavy hands but if he's not landing early he better get it to the ground or Jardine will pick away at him and eke out a decision.

Darth Bader, G&P TKO round 2.

Micheal "The Counted Out" Bisping vs. Wanderlei "The Ex-Murderer" Silva: It's either Silva early or Bisping late. That's all there is to this fight.

Like Sebowski, I cannot pick Micheal Bisping. Go Wandy go.

Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Noguiera vs Cain Velasquez: Nog's got his cardio hands full tonight. This is a young bad mofo with a mean motor in Cain Velasquez. I think Cain will dominate until getting a tad too brave, at which time I'm hoping Nog finds a submission to teach the young up-and-comer a lesson, much like Mir-Lesnar I. It won't be as one-sided as that fight before the sub comes but Cain will be ahead when he gets tricked just like Brock was.

Minotauro by triangle choke, early-mid round 3. Go Nog!!

I'm not touching the Cro Cop fight with a ten foot prediction pole.

Edited by Chachie

UFC 110: Mirko's Day Off... and It Might Not Pay Off.

Stephan Bonnar vs Krystof Soszinski: Bonnar's only chance is his cardio. Soszinski is more dangerous on the ground and probably hits/kicks harder than Stephan but if Bonnar stays out of trouble I think he can stay a lot more active than a generally lazy opportunist in Krystof. I'm really tempted to pick Krystof by submission (I'm sure most people are going with him) but I just don't trust his motivational motor or his stamina yet.

Bonnar by decision, maybe even split.

CB "Sneerface" Dollaway vs. Goran Reljic: CB sure has some sweet moves but he's a bit like Guillard in that he gets caught in chokes. Goran is tough and undefeated but may be carrying some cage rust. Tough call here. I flipped a coin.

Reljic by submission, late round 2.

Keith Jardine vs. Ryan Bader: Bader is way too well-rounded to lose this fight. He's got heavy hands but if he's not landing early he better get it to the ground or Jardine will pick away at him and eke out a decision.

Darth Bader, G&P TKO round 2.

Micheal "The Counted Out" Bisping vs. Wanderlei "The Ex-Murderer" Silva: It's either Silva early or Bisping late. That's all there is to this fight.

Like Sebowski, I cannot pick Micheal Bisping. Go Wandy go.

Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Noguiera vs Cain Velasquez: Nog's got his cardio hands full tonight. This is a young bad mofo with a mean motor in Cain Velasquez. I think Cain will dominate until getting a tad too brave, at which time I'm hoping Nog finds a submission to teach the young up-and-comer a lesson, much like Mir-Lesnar I. It won't be as one-sided as that fight before the sub comes but Cain will be ahead when he gets tricked just like Brock was.

Minotauro by triangle choke, early-mid round 3. Go Nog!!

I'm not touching the Cro Cop fight with a ten foot prediction pole.

I agree with every single one of your predictions except I cannot bring myself to pick Bonnar against anyone really.

And I'll say it....Anthony Perosh by submisson :(

Mirko CroCop vs. Anthony Perosh: i will be really really really sad if CroCop loses to this dude

CroCop by Unanimous Decision

Ryan Bader vs. Keith Jardine: Jardine is a case study of what happens when a fighter with a historically bad chin. pound 4 pound, his chin has to be one of the weakest in mma. jardine could probably outstrike Bader on the feet, bader's technique isn't anything special and he telegraphs his haymaker kill shot he likes to throw. problem is, he only has to connect once and its lights out for Jardine.

Bader by (T)KO, Round 2

Joe Stevenson vs. George Sotiropoulis: Stevenson seems to be enjoying his role as resident 155lb gatekeeper. George hasnt faced a fighter close to Stevenson. on the feet, Stevenson should have somewhat of an advantage. wrestling edge is definitely Joe's and their bjj is probably even. i simply think Stevenson is the better all-around fighter in this one

Stevenson by Unanimous Decision

Wanderlei Silva vs. Michael Bisping: this comes down to 2 factors, wand's chin & how his body reacts to the cut to 185. bisping will be on his backfoot most of this match looking to counter. bisping hasn't fought anyone that will continuously come forward like Wand will. Bisping might train with Rampage, but he doesn't have Rampage's defense against punches to protect him. Bisping will taste Wand's power, and hopefully some knees to go along with it (personally i wouldn't mind seeing a vintage Wand footstomp or soccer kick)

Silva by (T)KO, Round 2

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez: standing a slight edge goes to Big Nog as his boxing is better and he'll have a reach advantage should he choose to use it. Nog looked to be in great shape for the fight so hopefully his speed will be there as well. Cain's best chance on the feet is to use his speed to overwhelm Nog by throw combinations in succession. if Cain is serious about using his wrestling/gnp combo, he needs to be responsible about his leaving him limbs or neck dangling. its one thing to train submission defense, its another to apply it during an actual match. a split second mistake by Cain and he will be swept or submitted instantly by Nog. i'm a fan of both fighters, but i think Cain's activity will earn him a close split decision victory.

Cain Velasquez by Split Decision

Edited by StillUnknown

1. Submission? Wow.

2. When did you change your name?

Yeah I figured a reverse Karma prediction might produce a Cro-Cop win but we'll see. Perosh is a 2nd degree BB under Carlos Machado (Carlos Gracie, Jr's cousin) which is pretty impressive.

I changed my name a few weeks back. Its a subtle change so not everyone has noticed. :pfft: