Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

At this point, I would like to see a GSP-Diaz fight. Honestly, there is not much for Diaz in Strikeforce right now. I wonder when his contract is up?

As a Hieron fan, I am annoyed that he has gotten the shaft, but even I realize that Diaz would be a sizeable favorite in that fight. So who's next? Hieron won't get it because it does not look like Coker or Diaz has any interest in it, probably for a couple of reasons. K.J. Noons? I wanted to see that fight again two years ago, but who knows if Noons will ever take it, and even if he did, it would probably be after a tune up fight or two.

Coker wants his next fight to be Mach Sakurai? There was a time when I would have been really excited for that fight. But that time is not now. How can they really generate excitement for that fight when Sakurai's last two fights losses to the guy that Diaz just beat pretty soundly and Gono - who in the last few years is probably known better for his pre-fight antics (see below).

Nobody else that SF currently has on their roster is a legitimate challenger IMO. You could probably say the same about the UFC and GSP. Although I think there are a lot more people that could challenge Diaz in the UFC's WW division.

Anyways, a few thoughts on Saturday night...I was really looking forward to that card, but I left a little underwhelmed.

- The Walker fight bored the hell out of me. I know it was essentially two beginners, but it was really sloppy. I was hoping for a quick KO by Walker because if it did not happen, I figured that it was going to turn into exactly what it did turn into.

- I want Lashley to fight soemone that is going to challenge him. I know that he is young to the sport, but he is obviously a tremendous athlete and has some skills as an MMA fighter. He has enough fights under his belt and has been training with a great camp long enough that he should be able to take a step up in competition. He is not a young man, and if he keeps taking it slow, his best days might be spent beating guys like Wes Sims.

- I am more impressed with Diaz with each fight. I still do not like him a whole lot, but he has gotten a lot better in the last few years. I did not think Zaromskis was going to be a huge challenge for him, but I was still impressed by his performance. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, I just do not see a lot for him in SF.

- Robbie Lawler. Wow. I was waiting for Manhoef to punch himself out. That did not really happen, but he left himself open for just that brief second, and Lawler took advantage of it in a big way. Melvin's kicks were nasty, and I don't know how much longer Lawler was going to be able to take those. I would like to see him in a rematch with Shields, but he has Hendo to deal with in a few months. So Lawler will probably have another fight in the interim, if he is not hurt from those kicks.

- As mentioned earlier here, the SF commentators continue to get worse. I know they are trying to generate excitement for new viewers, but it just comes off as being fake sometimes. It is crazy to hear the difference in Mauro over the years, I like the old one better. I can't stand Quadros. He definitely has an excellent knowledge of the sport, but I just do not think he was meant for TV. And Shamrock has digressed, he is still a good analyst, but he is starting to get a little too much like the other two.

At this point, I would like to see a GSP-Diaz fight. Honestly, there is not much for Diaz in Strikeforce right now. I wonder when his contract is up?

And Diaz is a more credible contender than Dan Hardy.

- The Walker fight bored the hell out of me. I know it was essentially two beginners, but it was really sloppy. I was hoping for a quick KO by Walker because if it did not happen, I figured that it was going to turn into exactly what it did turn into.

That was a terrible fight. And what made it worse were the announcers trying to hype up Walker like he's some kind of up & coming star. He beat a bum that no one's heard of in a fight that I fast-forwarded through until the finish.

Maybe they can work out a deal and have him fight Kimbo or bring in Jose Canseco for a fight, at least then he could fight a famous bum.

- I want Lashley to fight soemone that is going to challenge him. I know that he is young to the sport, but he is obviously a tremendous athlete and has some skills as an MMA fighter. He has enough fights under his belt and has been training with a great camp long enough that he should be able to take a step up in competition. He is not a young man, and if he keeps taking it slow, his best days might be spent beating guys like Wes Sims.

I definitely agree here. I think Lashley has enough to take on some better competition. There's actually a rumor that his next bout is against Brett Rogers, which I don't think would end well for Lashley but you never know. Seeing as how Rogers' ground game is non-existent, Lashley's wrestling could keep Rogers on his back for some ground n pound.

Either way I'm ready to see him take a step up in competition now too.

- As mentioned earlier here, the SF commentators continue to get worse. I know they are trying to generate excitement for new viewers, but it just comes off as being fake sometimes. It is crazy to hear the difference in Mauro over the years, I like the old one better. I can't stand Quadros. He definitely has an excellent knowledge of the sport, but I just do not think he was meant for TV. And Shamrock has digressed, he is still a good analyst, but he is starting to get a little too much like the other two.

Yeah I don't know why they continue with these guys either. Mauro was at least decent at one time but he's regressed now too. I think they should throw some money at Bas and Kenny Rice. They have great chemistry and do well together on Inside MMA and although they won't be the best announcers around they'd be a big upgrade over the current staff.

Despite his tomato can opponent and inability to finish, I was impressed with Herschel Walker. He showed takedown defense, a savvy ground game, wrestling/ju-jitsu skills, and solid striking. I can't make an assessment on how he'd fare against an experienced MMA fighter but he showed that he's trained extensively in being multi-dimensional. That's all you can ask from a 47 year old guy. He looked very stiff for the first 2 minutes but once he got his first takedown he settled in and fought like he was prepared for whatever his opponent tried.

Congrats to Hershel but he needs to take bigger steps....but he's new so baby steps it is for now....too bad he didn't start 10yrs ago.

I think his MMA journey will end the first time he tastes a clean professional right hand at 47-48 yrs of age. That's just too old to take a real shot. I'm giving him props for his debut though. He's not a pretender, but he's a senior citizen as you say.

I think his MMA journey will end the first time he tastes a clean professional right hand at 47-48 yrs of age. That's just too old to take a real shot. I'm giving him props for his debut though. He's not a pretender, but he's a senior citizen as you say.

I wouldn't be surprised if he never fights again.

It looks like Roy Nelson will be fighting Stefan Struve at UFN 21...

The UFC's long-rumored March 31 event is official with today's announcement of UFC Fight Night 21.

The event, which precedes the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 11," takes place at Bojangles Coliseum in Charlotte, N.C., and airs on Spike TV.

Kenny Florian (12-4 MMA, 10-3 UFC) meets former PRIDE star Takanori Gomi (31-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in the headliner, and as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported on Tuesday, "TUF 10" champ Roy Nelson (14-4 MMA, 1-0 UFC) meets fast-rising heavyweight contender Stefan Struve (19-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) in the co-headliner.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17787/ufc-fight-night-21-announced-for-n-c-with-florian-vs-gomi-nelson-vs-struve.mma

Also Diego Sanchez moves back to Welterweight to fight John Hathaway at UFC 114.

Recent lightweight title challenger Diego Sanchez (21-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) made waves in January when he teased a potential return to the welterweight division, and now it appears he'll make good on that promise.

Sanchez today posted on his Twitter account that he will face 170-pound Brit John Hathaway (12-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) at the as-yet-unannounced UFC 114 event.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17785/diego-sanchez-books-return-to-welterweight-bout-with-john-hathaway-expected-at-ufc-114.mma

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17793/wec-48-heads-to-ppv-with-aldo-vs-faber-henderson-vs-cerrone-on-44-99-card.mma

As expected World Extreme Cagefighting is headed to pay-per-view.

The organization today announced that WEC 48, which retails for $44.99, takes place Saturday, April 24, at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif.

Featured bouts include WEC featherweight champ Jose Aldo vs. Urijah Faber, lightweight champion Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone, and former champ Mike Brown vs. Manny Gamburyan.

The WEC, which traditionally airs on Versus, has never previously aired a show on PPV. The WEC PPV tag is the same as those charged by its sister promotion, the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

For more on this developing story, stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com.

Buakaw is one of my favorites
Yea I first found out about him in the last K-1 World MAX tournament since they started showing K-1 on HDNET. I use to watch the K-1 World Grand Prix back in the day when ESPN2 broadcasted in the early 2000's but I stopped following K-1 until they signed the deal with HDNET. I've since become a huge fan and watched all of Buakaw's big fights on youtube. His kicks especially the teep kicks are amazing.

I'm not sure if you saw the last tournament he fought in but he got robbed by the judges IMO and there are rumors floating around that the K-1 bosses aren't to fond of him. They have kind of limited his ability by changing the rules to not allow mulitple knees in the thai clinch anymore. He might quit K-1 and go back to Muay Thai because of this which is kind of sad because I just started following him.

Geez WEC...$44.99? I was thinking more like $29.99.

Hmmm....I am not sure if I am going to get this one or not. I am leaning toward no right now. I really want to see the two main fights though. I am not big on streaming, so it is essentially buy it or not watch it for me.

At least I have a little while to think about it. Maybe I can justify it since I am not going to be getting UFC 109 this weekend....

Yea I first found out about him in the last K-1 World MAX tournament since they started showing K-1 on HDNET. I use to watch the K-1 World Grand Prix back in the day when ESPN2 broadcasted in the early 2000's but I stopped following K-1 until they signed the deal with HDNET.

I was the same way. I used to watch K-1 on ESPN2 and was pretty happy when HDNet signed the deal to show K-1. But then Time-Warner Cable got rid of HDNet. Booooooooooooooooo!

Edited by lovetoaster

:ols: Great explanation by Din Thomas.

Honestly though I'm more excited about watching the undercard of this event. Although it will be interesting to see the main event matchup finally happen after 12 years.

the combined age of the main event is 91. you can only imagine what Dana would be saying if Strikeforce offered a main event like that :ols:

the fight i most want to see happens on the preliminary undercard. i want to see the Phil Davis vs. Brian Stann fight. Davis is a 4x All-American and 2008 NCAA wrestling champ from Penn State, he's supposed to be real good prospect.

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm not sure if you saw the last tournament he fought in but he got robbed by the judges IMO and there are rumors floating around that the K-1 bosses aren't to fond of him. They have kind of limited his ability by changing the rules to not allow mulitple knees in the thai clinch anymore. He might quit K-1 and go back to Muay Thai because of this which is kind of sad because I just started following him.

I saw it and I agree that was BS. The rule change is BS too. Why even allow knees in the clinch at all if you can't throw them in succession? There's actually supposed to be a K-1 card in Hungary tomorrow I'm not sure if it's on HDNet or not. HDNet IMO is a more fight-friendly channel than Spike or Versus, just because they show Dream, K-1, Sengoku, Inside MMA and a lot of knockout specials and stuff like that.

I was the same way. I used to watch K-1 on ESPN2 and was pretty happy when HDNet signed the deal to show K-1. But then Time-Warner Cable got rid of HDNet. Booooooooooooooooo!

Dish Network or DirecTV! I had DirecTV which was the best TV I've ever had IMO as far as channels and customer service goes, but when I moved to my new place I wasn't able to get it so I tried Comcast and recently dumped it in favor of Dish Network, mainly for HDNet :cool:

As far as tonight's card goes, I'm still interested in some main card bouts. I can't wait to see Chael Sonnen get beat down, I'm hoping Demian Maia gets back on track because he's a lot better than his 30-second KO loss against Marquardt, Trigg/Serra is of interest too.

On the undercard be on the lookout for:

Tim Hague, the man to be on the wrong end of the fastest UFC KO ever is fighting Chris Tuchscherer a guy who is very capable of hooking him up w/ another quick KO.

Rolles Gracie Jr is fighting, he's got high degree BB's in Judo and BJJ.

Melvin Guillard is going to get choked out by Ronnys Torres who's a very nice up & coming prospect with sick BJJ.

Mr. Wonderful (Phil Davis) who trains BJJ w/ Lloyd Irvin is taking on Brian Stann

And out of all of these fights the UFC chose to put Mac Danzig and Justin Buchholz on the prelim card? Both guys are on multi-fight losing streaks. ****ty planning if they're trying to draw fans. Although. Buchholz has never been to a decision in his career, he's either finished or been finished so we'll see.

Edited by #98QBKiller

As far as tonight's card goes, I'm still interested in some main card bouts. I can't wait to see Chael Sonnen get beat down, I'm hoping Demian Maia gets back on track because he's a lot better than his 30-second KO loss against Marquardt, Trigg/Serra is of interest too.

On the undercard be on the lookout for:

Tim Hague, the man to be on the wrong end of the fastest UFC KO ever is fighting Chris Tuchscherer a guy who is very capable of hooking him up w/ another quick KO.

Rolles Gracie Jr is fighting, he's got high degree BB's in Judo and BJJ.

Mr. Wonderful (Phil Davis) who trains BJJ w/ Lloyd Irvin is taking on Brian Stann

the fight i most want to see happens on the preliminary undercard. i want to see the Phil Davis vs. Brian Stann fight. Davis is a 4x All-American and 2008 NCAA wrestling champ from Penn State, he's supposed to be real good prospect.

I agree with your points 98...it is not a great card, but there are certainly some intriguing matchups. I don't know how Sonnen has gotten so ****y over the last two years, but I am a big Marquardt fan and I am ready for Nate to shut him up for a little while.

I actually am interested in the Hague-Tuchscherer fight, I think they are both pretty talented. Hauge got caught by that big shot by Duffee, and Tuchscherer needs to avoid getting kicked in the seeds.

I completely forgot about Phil Davis being on this card...I have heard a lot of good things.

Dish Network or DirecTV! I had DirecTV which was the best TV I've ever had IMO as far as channels and customer service goes, but when I moved to my new place I wasn't able to get it so I tried Comcast and recently dumped it in favor of Dish Network, mainly for HDNet

I have been thinking about it. I would go with DirecTV if I went that route, just for the NFL package. But I have been hesitant, because I had DirecTV a while back, and did not have a good experience. I thought their customer service was awful, although that was about a decade ago. Things have probebly gotten better. Plus I would want to wait until they got the Versus stuff worked out.

Edited by lovetoaster

lesnar gets the cover of the new UFC game due out in few months:

ufc-2010-undisputed-cover.jpg

The debut 2009 title recently surpassed the 3.5 million mark in sales while earning positive reviews from the media and game players. Forrest Griffin graced the cover of the U.S. version, and Georges St-Pierre was featured on the Canadian version.

While "Undisputed" succeeded in an untapped market last year, the UFC title this year gets some competition from EA Sports, which releases "EA Sports MMA" in late summer. The title, which features some of the biggest names from Strikeforce's and DREAM's rosters, has the backing of one of the videogame industry's biggest players.

THQ, though, is stepping up its game. In a recent interview with gamespot.com, THQ's Omar Kendall discussed some of the new changes for the 2010 title, including slight changes to the submission engine, the ability to create your own fighting style, new camp and career options, and tweaks to the title/tournament and online modes.

Edited by StillUnknown

Alves is a different fighter than he was for the first match but I'm wondering how he'll come off the beating he received at the hands of GSP.

I like this matchup though, the 111 card definitely needed a boost.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/02/05/jon-fitch-vs-thiago-alves-rematch-official-for-ufc-111/

Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves Rematch Official for UFC 111

The UFC's star-studded return to the northeast got another boost on Friday when the expected rematch between welterweight stars Jon Fitch and Thiago Alves was officially added to the UFC 111 fight card.

The two first squared off back in June 2006, with Fitch winning in a second-round TKO.

At the time, both were relative newcomers to the UFC, as Fitch (23-1, 1 no contest) had just completed his second bout in the organization while Alves (16-6) was just 22 years old and in his fourth octagon battle.

Since then, the two have been among the most successful welterweights in the sport. Fitch rattled off a record-tying eight straight wins in the octagon en route to a UFC 87 title match against champion Georges St. Pierre, while Alves won seven straight before he got his chance at GSP.

Both fighters ultimately fell short in their quest for the championship the first time around, but a victory on March 27 will vault the winner back into immediate contention.

UFC 111 will be headlined by a welterweight title scrap between St. Pierre and No. 1 contender Dan Hardy, while Frank Mir and Shane Carwin will match up in an interim heavyweight title bout.

The event will emanate from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.