Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Some of these sherdog posters are trying to back Wes Sims saying he has fought some big names. Like what? 5 years ago :hysterical:

Another guy on there says he knows Wes Sims personally and saw him get knocked out in a bar fight by a guy with no fighting experience :hysterical:

Edited by Patrick86L

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I'll be going to that one. Are there any bars nearby to do a Fight Night tailgate?

There are some things pretty close, but it is also about a mile or two from downtown. I am thinking about going to a bar downtown and taking a cab to the arena or maybe tailgating at the arena. The last time I went to that arena, my car spent the night there. :D

There are some things pretty close, but it is also about a mile or two from downtown. I am thinking about going to a bar downtown and taking a cab to the arena or maybe tailgating at the arena. The last time I went to that arena, my car spent the night there. :D

Not a bad idea. I may have to part ways w/ driving for the night too. The card's shaping up to be pretty good for a Fight Night. Plus I can visit some friends and kill two birds with one stone. :silly:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=10556&zoneid=13

Chael Sonnen is gunning for the middleweight belt, but he's also going after Anderson Silva for what he perceives as a falsehood being portrayed by the champion.

The Top 10 middleweight spoke to MMAWeekly Radio recently where he unloaded on Silva and his manager, Ed Soares, for some issues he has with the fighter most call the top pound-for-pound competitor on the planet. Sonnen says very candidly that he's hoping for a title shot if he gets past Nate Marquardt at UFC 109, but doesn't care one bit if it's Silva who's defending the belt.

"I would imagine, who knows what Anderson's doing. At the end of the day, who cares," said Sonnen. "If he wants to leave the division, leave the sport, who cares. Beat it, nobody tunes in to watch him anyways, and his little fake 'I don't speak English.

"You want me to let you in on a secret, Anderson Silva speaks perfect English. He just has such a low amount of respect for you and all the rest of the media that he pretends he doesn't. I've had conversations with Anderson Silva in perfect English, and on top of that he's so boring to listen to that he and his rocket scientist manager, Ed Soares, who is also about as exciting as watching grass grow, have decided that Ed is better on the mic than Anderson, so just let Ed do the talking."

Sonnen says Silva's disdain for the media reaches back to other fighters as well, who speak about the subject in private amongst themselves.

"It's quite ironic that all the media comes on and talks about how great this guy is for reasons that are completely un-understandable to me. How great Anderson Silva is, and all of us fighters are in the back going, 'jeez, they're out there massaging his ego, Anderson hates them so much, he pretends he can't understand them,’" Sonnen stated.

One person who will not be signing up for the Anderson Silva fan club anytime soon is Sonnen, who also slammed the champion for his top pound-for-pound status, and believes that if they ever do fight, the verbal warfare will be decidedly one-sided.

"That guy's no more the top fighter out there than Bigfoot is roaming the woods," said Sonnen. "That is an absolute myth, and all these guys can buy into it, but there's a young man out in Portland, Ore., that is not signing up on that bandwagon.

"If Anderson ever signed to fight me, which is highly unlikely, he'll be getting a verbal beating like you've never seen. And his language barrier won't be the point of interest."

Silva's manager spoke exclusively with MMAWeekly Radio after hearing Sonnen's comments and actually had some complimentary things to say about the Team Quest fighter, but believes that everything being said has a purpose behind it.

"Who is this that we're talking about?" Soares joked when Sonnen's name came up.

"I think Chael's a really super nice guy and every time I've met the guy he's always been really cool to me. That's weird that he would say stuff on the radio, but I think at the end of the day, Chael's not a dumb guy, he's a pretty smart guy," Soares commented. "I think no one will really pay attention to what he has to say unless he probably talks about Anderson."

Soares also reacted to Sonnen's comments about Silva's performances and believes he needs to look in the mirror before pointing the finger at anyone else.

"Anyone that has a mouth can say what they want," he said. "I don't think people pay too much attention to what Chael does. Saying that Anderson's boring or Anderson's this, Anderson's that, we don't even need to go back and see what Chael has done. If you really want to analyze Chael's career over the past couple years, he's had some wins, but he said he didn't tap against Paulo Filho. If the ref wouldn’t have stopped the fight, Paulo Filho would have his arm in Brazil with him.

"And when he beat Paulo Filho, he was 35 to 40 percent of a Paulo Filho and he took him to a decision. Then he went and fought Damien Maia, got submitted quick, and now he's going to fight Nate Marquardt which Nate just ended up knocking out Damien Maia. I think Chael should be really focused on his fight that he's got against Nate Marquardt because I can tell you right now that's probably going to be the hardest fight of his life. I would put my money on Nate."

Commenting about Silva's willingness to speak English also came up. While Soares admits that the champion has had some issues with the media in the past, overall he understands that it's all part of the business.

"He doesn't speak perfect English. It's definitely improving a lot and he can start to have a little bit more of a conversation with people, but at the end of the day when the lights are on and the camera is there, he likes to have someone next to him there to translate for him," Soares said.

The Brazilian manager understands that the fight game is a business, and Sonnen may be playing the part of the villain to perfection. He also knows that talking the way he is could prompt a rivalry and a shot at Silva's middleweight title.

"I don't know what he's doing, but I would be keeping my mouth shut and in the gym training, especially training his stand-up," Soares said in closing.

Mr. Sonnen must have a death wish

Indeed. He's a really solid fighter with a nice ground game but he's not complete enough to be talking all that trash to the Spider. Maybe he should ask Nate Marquardt about Silva right after Nate puts Sonnen to sleep.

he really needs to be focused 100% on Nate, i dont really see how he beats Nate to get to Anderson

on another note: http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-01-22#22185

Friday, January 22 5:48 am PT: Greg Nagy has spent just over ten minutes in a cage; Herschel Walker, zero. Owing to celebrity and the expected preferences of the betting public, though, some online gaming sites -- including Bodog.com -- have placed Nagy as a +500 underdog.

A number like that is intended to handle the suspected lack of interest bettors may have in Nagy. Even money, you might go with Walker. If you’re promised a 500% return, you’ll take the chance with Nagy.

And why not? Nagy is 26 years old to Walker’s 47. However bad Nagy may or may not be could be offset by the stiffening stress of Walker making his combat sports debut in a major arena. If the fight devolves into two uncoordinated heavyweights swinging at each other, it’s a spin of the wheel. And the odds on that happening are pretty damn good.

who's brave enough to drop some dollars on Nagy?

Edited by StillUnknown

he really needs to be focused 100% on Nate, i dont really see how he beats Nate to get to Anderson

on another note: http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-01-22#22185

who's brave enough to drop some dollars on Nagy?

If my site puts up that line I'll jump on Nagy. They aren't listing the fight though. I just put money on Lawler at +155.

Nate is going to destroy Sonnen. Sonnen is one more fight after that from getting cut. He shouldn't even be talking **** about Dean Lister, much less Silva.

I really want to bet on Nate, but I've never taken a -350 favorite before. Not sure it is worth the risk to make a difference in this sport.

I love Don Frye

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17666/while-reports-of-ufc-return-untrue-mma-legend-don-frye-has-a-message-for-james-toney.mma

While reports of UFC return untrue, MMA legend Don Frye has a message for James Toney

by John Morgan on Jan 23, 2010 at 6:40 pm ET

Many MMA observers felt the potential for 41-year-old former boxing champion James Toney (72-6 Boxing, 0-0 MMA) to take a fight in the UFC was a bit laughable.

So imagine those same observers' reaction to the rumors that 44-year-old retired MMA legend Don Frye (20-8-1) was returning to the organization to take the fight.

Fortunately, the Frye report turned out to be one online author's idea of satire. But that doesn't mean "The Predator" doesn't have an opinion on a fight with Toney.

"I tell you what: Anybody who fights an [expletive] like James Toney or Herschel Walker or Jose Canseco or any of them other [expletives] that come into our sport at their age should be required to take them down and break as many bones as possible on them and keep them crippled for six-to-eight weeks," Frye recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I'd break both their [expletive] arms so they'd have to hire somebody to wipe their ass for the next six-to-eight weeks. It should be a requirement."

Former pro footballer Walker makes his mixed martial debut for Strikeforce on Jan. 30. Former baseball star Canseco infamously fought under the DREAM banner in May 2009.

Frye believes former professional athletes entering the MMA game at such an advanced age are hurting the current state of the sport.

"That's why nobody respects this sport, and it's just a circus act right now," Frye said. "They have these morons come in at the age they should be sitting in the retirement home, and they walk in and get a high-dollar fight."

Frye debuted in 1996 at UFC 8 and proceeded to win 15 of his first 16 contests. During that run, Frye defeated David "Tank" Abbott, Gary Goodridge, Ken Shamrock and Gilbert Yvel, among others.

Frye's most memorable bout may be the final win of that torrid career-opening run when he and Yoshihiro Takayama, under the PRIDE banner, engaged in one of the most furious exchanges in mixed martial arts history.

Frye's latter years saw him mired in a 5-7-1 slump, and he officially hung up the gloves in late 2009 in order to pursue other opportunities.

So Frye most certainly is not coming back to the UFC, but the legendary brawler didn't exactly rule out at least one more trip to the cage.

"Green always talks," Frye said. "Money talks and [expletive] walks. So far, it's all been [expletive]."

Regarding Lesnar's recent comments on the Canadian Health Care system, he may not do the best job of articulating his position, but he has every right to convey his experiences in the Canadian Health Care system. And he is right about the potential of socialized Health Care in the United States. I was not a Brock fan before, but I am now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...re-system#poll

Regarding Lesnar's recent comments on the Canadian Health Care system, he may not do the best job of articulating his position, but he has every right to convey his experiences in the Canadian Health Care system. And he is right about the potential of socialized Health Care in the United States. I was not a Brock fan before, but I am now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...re-system#poll

That link doesn't work.

I would love to hear exactly what was wrong with the Canadian care Brock received. Did they want to operate right away?

That link doesn't work.

I would love to hear exactly what was wrong with the Canadian care Brock received. Did they want to operate right away?

Also- I know it's not fashionable to say anything negative about Brock right now because he's getting over a serious illness but it sure seems like every time he doesn't get his way (first fight w/ Mir, Budweiser, Canadian healthcare) he balls up his fists and blubbers like a newborn. This guy sure feels entitled to a lot.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17673/ufc-vets-corey-hill-luigi-fioravanti-pick-up-weekend-wins.mma

"The Ultimate Fighter 5" cast member Corey Hill (3-2) and fellow UFC veteran Luigi Fioravanti (17-6) picked up wins at this past weekend's Raging Wolf event in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

The event marked Hill's first bout since his gruesome leg break in a December 2008 loss to Dale Hartt at UFC Fight Night 16.

Hill, notable for his 6-foot-4 and 155-pound frame, picked a unanimous-decision win over New York-based lightweight Jason Trzewieczynski (3-3) at the Jan. 23 event.

The 31-year-old, who admitted to padding his resume to earn a spot on "TUF 5," defeated Rob Emerson (via close unanimous decision) in an opening-round matchup but was submitted by eventual show winner Nate Diaz in the quarterfinals. Hill then defeated Joe Veres at UFC Fight Night 12, but UFC officials terminated his contract after losses to Justin Buccholz and Hartt.

The loss to Hartt was especially brutal; while throwing a leg kick, Hill snapped his right leg and immediately collapsed to the mat.

good to see Corey Hill back competing and winning

Pretty good interview w/ Cyborg. She says that if she could train with any fighter it would be BJ Penn or Fedor. She also says she loves Fedor's "little baby face." :laugh:

I don't think a lot of other fighters would say that.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/12-Questions-for-Cris-Cyborg-Santos-22251

Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos wants Fedor Emelianenko and B.J. Penn… as training partners. And who's to stay she shouldn’t? Strikeforce’s 145-pound women’s champion made waves with her first-round decimation of Gina Carano last August. In her first title defense this Saturday at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., Santos meets Golden Glory product Marloes Coenen.

Santos waxed on her upcoming bout, how her training has changed since moving to San Diego, why she only trains with men, and cleared the air on the offer she got to appear in Playboy magazine.

Sherdog.com: Since moving down to San Diego in November, how has your training changed?

Santos: I’m training at The Arena in San Diego with Rafael Alejarra for conditioning, Billy for muay Thai, and Javi Vazquez for jiu-jitsu. Javi comes down three times a week because he’s training with Rafael and Billy, too, for his March 6 fight (at WEC 47). I’d also like to add that I’m still a member of Chute Boxe and I want to thank them for their continued support. I’m planning on staying in San Diego for a while. I love it! It’s close to the beach and there’s a lot of people walking the streets. The weather, the climate, and the whole feel of it reminds me a little of Brazil.

Sherdog.com: Is your husband, Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, training you for your upcoming fight?

Santos: No, he had a fight in Brazil at the beginning of December. He’s fought and now he’s taking care of some paperwork to bring his daughter to live with us here.

Sherdog.com: You seem to train exclusively with men. Do you ever get a chance to work with females?

Santos: No, just with men. I prefer to train with men. I feel more comfortable. I’m afraid of hurting the women.

Sherdog.com: Kerry Vera, who also fights for Strikeforce, trains at her husband’s gym in San Diego. She seems to be a competent striker. Would you be interested in training with her?

Santos: Yes, I would actually.

Sherdog.com: If you had the opportunity to train with any male fighters, who would they be?

Santos: I would really like to train with B.J. Penn. I really admire his fighting skills and his ground skills. He’s someone I admire overall as a fighter. Maybe I’ll train with him someday. That would be fun. I’d also like to train with Fedor Emelianenko. I think that he rocks. He’s really strong and delivers the knockout. I love his little baby face. He kicks ass and makes it fun. I’d love to train with this baby-face.

Sherdog.com: Do you mind being called “Cyborg,” especially when it refers to a half-human, half-machine organism that lacks emotion?

Santos: I have literally adopted that name from my husband. It’s like a last name for me now. I don’t event think about (the definition). I feel like everybody around me knows I’m emotional during my fights. That’s what matters.

Sherdog.com: Your first-round victory over Gina Carano was quite definitive. Do you experience any added pressure thinking that fans will expect a similar performance on Jan. 30?

Santos: I don’t really go in with a plan of how the fight will go. I just try to go in and do a good show for everybody and just play what’s happening by ear, but I’m always looking for the knockout. I’m not really worried about what other people are thinking or what I’ll do in this fight or the next. I’m just thinking of the fight in front of me and what I’m going to do to win this fight.

Sherdog.com: How do you anticipate this fight going compared to what happened with Carano?

Santos: I've seen some of Coenen’s fights and she likes to stand up. She wins some of her fights by submission. I’m just going to go over to her and exchange with her, get a feeling for what she’s doing and go for my knockout. I’m always prepared to go in. I’m always hoping that I’m going to get a really good fight and a really good exchange. I’m always prepared for my five rounds, but for some reason, my fights keep ending in the first round.

Sherdog.com: You injured your shoulder at the Abu Dhabi World Submission Grappling Championships last September in Barcelona, Spain, which prevented you from fighting on Strikeforce’s November card on CBS. What happened there?

Santos: Competing in Abu Dhabi with the experience level there really allowed me to work on myself. I always want to do Abu Dhabi and to stay active. I’ve always had a little thing with my shoulder because of playing handball. As an athlete, you know they all have a little thing that bothers them, but it’s nothing major. I let it rest a little bit, did a little rehab and now I’m back 100 percent.

Sherdog.com: Playboy had made an inquiry about you posing nude in their magazine. How did that pan out?

Santos: (Silence)

Sherdog.com: Was it an embarrassing story for you when it was revealed?

Santos: Yeah, for sure. I heard people were talking about it on the Internet and I probably commented to only two or three people that knew about it. Less than 24 hours later, I went online and saw my picture with everyone talking about the Playboy (offer). I just wanted to die! I went into desperation mode: how did everybody know about it? It was very, very uncomfortable because it wasn’t something I’d said yes to. It was just a possibility. I hadn’t even had a chance to talk to my husband about it, but once I did, he wasn’t very happy about it at all. It wasn’t supposed to come out. It was literally just one conversation I’d had with one person. I don’t think it’s what I need to be focusing on right now, especially since Cyborg isn’t too happy about it.

Sherdog.com: You’ve lived in the U.S. for eight months now. What’s been the hardest thing to get used to?

Santos: I think language has got to be the biggest barrier for me. I’m taking classes and slowly learning English. I’m slowly getting there. I have friends who help me with all the stuff I need. I’m learning how to live the American way and I want to live here and build my history and my life in this country.

Special thanks to Rose Gracie for the translation.

That link doesn't work.

Here is a little more to the story

http://heymanhustle.craveonline.com/articles/news/79770-paul-heyman-brock-lesnar-is-not-going-to-shut-up-about-health-care

"I entered the hospital around 4am on a Saturday morning," Brock recalls, "and I spent two nights there. No one talks about that. Their CT machine was broken, and they were waiting for a replacement. They could not take a picture of my stomach. If they would have had the ability to take the picture, they would have seen I had holes inside me. If I stayed at that Canadian hospital, at best I would have been retired and would have to wear a colostomy bag. At worst, I could have died."