Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I dont know how many people have ever wrestled and or fought a 265 lb. fat guy with the kind of belly that Roy Nelson had. Kimbo came damn close to rolling home over last night, but ultimatley the girth of Nelson was too much to overcome.

Kimbo was winning that fight until the stoppage. Even Dana White pointed out that Kimbo gave the more talented fight, and that he saw no reason for Roy Nelson to gloat...

It was easy to see that Nelson too was getting rocked by Kimbo....he ate a big right and an elbow...Kimbo made the fatal rookie mistake of trying for the knee lift while being forced backwards.

And what was up with those punches? Roy Nelson's punches look like they did no damage at all to Kimbo on the ground....

Nelson did exactly what he said he was going to do. He told the guys around the pool that all he had to do was tie him up and make him unable to defend himself. He said he'd count the shots off to the ref, and even if they were ittle slaps the ref would have to stop it because "you must defend yourself". It is the same way Hughes beat Penn in their second fight. I don't like it either. Not sure what they can do about it.

Kimbo was winning that fight until the stoppage. Even Dana White pointed out that Kimbo gave the more talented fight, and that he saw no reason for Roy Nelson to gloat...

at no point in time was Kimbo winning this fight. he had one good flurry in the 2nd round, that doesn't constitute him winning the fight at any point in time

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9687&zoneid=2

Though the fight between Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and former International Fight League champion Roy Nelson may have received criticism for the hype coming in compared to the product going out, it was a resounding success in one key aspect... television ratings.

Episode three of The Ultimate Fighter: The Heavyweights – featuring Kimbo’s first fight under the UFC banner – produced the highest numbers in Spike TV history in many key categories and vaulted into the Top 5 of the most-watched bouts in the history of televised mixed martial arts in the United States.

Despite Kimbo showing little progress in his MMA skills and Nelson providing little excitement in the victory, the initial broadcast of the episode pulled in an average of 5.3 million viewers for the entire 60-minute broadcast, according to Spike TV vice president Brian Diamond. For the fight itself, the final 15 minutes of the show, the average rose dramatically to 6.1 million viewers for that time period. That means that the number of viewers tuning in for the actual fight increased substantially in order to raise the episode average to 5.3 million viewers.

The encore broadcast of the episode, which aired immediately following the premier broadcast, also drew an average of 1.56 million viewers. There is no data determining how many of those 1.56 million viewers were repeats from the premier.

The previous record for most average viewers during an episode of The Ultimate Fighter or any other original series on Spike TV was this season’s premier, which boasted an average of 4.1 million viewers. Episode three drawing an average of 5.3 million puts the show in uncharted territory for the network.

According to TV By The Numbers’ report on the overnight Nielsen TV Ratings, The Ultimate Fighting was right behind the big three networks in viewership. In the same 10 p.m. time period “CSI: NY” on CBS drew 12.87 million viewers, “Eastwick” on ABC drew 6.62 million, and “The Jay Leno Show” drew 5.99 million. Not bad considering that Spike TV is available in a much smaller number of households than those three major broadcast networks.

Diamond on Thursday repeatedly stated that the episode provided the highest ratings that Spike TV has ever pulled in its key demographics of 18-to-35-Year-Old Males and 18-to-49-Year-Old Males. In the 18-to-35-Year-Old-Males category, the episode pulled a stunning 6.81 rating, while the 18-to-49-Year-Old-Males drew a 5.43 rating.

So don’t expect Kimbo to get kicked to the curb anytime soon, he was also one half of the most watched televised MMA fight in the United States when he fought James Thompson for EliteXC on CBS on May 31, 2008. That bout drew an average of 7.28 million viewers.

the people want to see kimbo

at no point in time was Kimbo winning this fight. he had one good flurry in the 2nd round, that doesn't constitute him winning the fight at any point in time

Yeah as much as I wanted to Kimbo to win, there is no way he was winning or going to win that fight. His inexperience got exploited. Hopefully he gets another shot to fight, like they lead you to believe.

Yeah as much as I wanted to Kimbo to win, there is no way he was winning or going to win that fight. His inexperience got exploited. Hopefully he gets another shot to fight, like they lead you to believe.

His inexperience and just the size difference are going to be hard for him to overcome. He is always going to have a puncher's chance, but Kimbo is in limbo (hey, that rhymes) in the HW division. He is going to be fighting guys that are 30-35 pounds heavier than him, and it is going to be difficult to avoid being taken down.

I have always thought that he would be a much better fit in the LHW division, if he were able to cut the weight. Roy Nelson mentions that in an article on MMA Junkie that was posted last night. There are a lot less wrestlers in the LHW divisions, and a lot more people that will stand and bang. I think from a size and a style perspective, Kimbo is a much better fit there.

This season of TUF is ruined, rampage retired:(

Meh, its not ruined IMO. I just won't focus much on the coaches (I really haven't over the last few seasons anyways), and I am sure there has been some editing done to focus more on the fighters.

Rampage will be back. He should have taken a little time away after his loss to Forrest, and maybe this will give him an opportunity to refocus on whatever he wants his career to be, and life in general.

And the UFC will be fine if he does decide to hang them up for good. I think he had lost a little bit of his competitive fire, but we'll see what a little time off will do for him. A lot of people have left the UFC and trashed both it and Dana as they walked out the door. A lot of those people have come back after a little time away. We'll see what happens this time.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16371/rashad-evans-vs-thiago-silva-set-for-ufc-108-co-main-event-in-january.mma

With Quinton "Rampage" Jackson withdrawing from a December contest with Rashad Evans (13-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) to pursue an acting role, "Sugar's" next move has been uncertain for several weeks.

That period is over.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the fighter that Evans and Brazilian Thiago Silva (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet in the co-main event of UFC 108.

Evans first mentioned the possibility of the contest to AOL FanHouse in September, citing a brief exchange of glances at UFC 102 in Portland, Ore., as the genesis for the contest.

"Thiago Silva is a good fighter; I'd like to fight him and I think he wants to fight me," Evans told AOL FanHouse. "When I saw him after he fought Keith Jardine, he kind of gave me a nasty look that I interpreted like he wanted to take me on, and I'd like that."

Evans' wishes will now apparently become reality, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.

Evans seeks to rebound from the first loss of his five-plus-year career. The 30-year-old lost the UFC's light heavyweight title in May when Lyoto Machida dropped him in the second round of their UFC 98 main-event contest.

Silva also recently suffered the lone loss of his career to Machida. After suffering a first-round knockout to "The Dragon" in January, Silva has since bounced back with a TKO win over Keith Jardine at UFC 102.

UFC 108 is scheduled for Jan. 2 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and is expected to feature a main event between current UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and challenger Vitor Belfort.

For the latest on UFC 108, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

evenly matched as well. i'm leaning towards rashad mainly because i dont think Thiago has much of a gas tank, but its possible to make strong arguments for both fighters

I wasn't really impressed with Thiago's last fight against Jardine. I'm leaning towards Evans on this one. UFC 108 should be exciting. Hopefully I won't be too trashed from partying on New Years Day!!!!!!

Forrest has lost it

What do you make of the criticism you received after leaving the cage immediately after the fight was over?

That's dumb. Those people are idiots. Why? Nobody cares. I mean, I don't think the losers were going to speak that night anyway, you know. Just get on with the next fight already.

Did it bother you to hear people criticize your post-fight reaction?

Nah, that's the first time I've ever heard it. This is going to blow you away, but I haven't watched the fight or talked about it.

This guy actually asked me a good question the other day, and this is a real story and I really like it: first off, he was very confrontational; I didn't like him much to begin with, and he goes, 'Hey, man, I have to know,' because it's his business to know, 'why did you run out of the cage that night after the Silva fight.' And I said, 'Look, man, I haven't told anybody, let's keep this on the down low, but the truth is your mom was waiting for me in the back to suck my d***, and you know how good of a b*** j** your mom gives, so I didn't want to be late for that sh**.' And that's pretty much the answer I give. I like that answer, so I'll give that answer to everyone.

Was he a fan or media member?

I don't know. I bet he's not a fan anymore, but I tell ya, I'm a fan of his mom's b*** j***. That's the important thing, and that's what I want to come across in your story. If anybody asks me that question, that's my answer.

His inexperience and just the size difference are going to be hard for him to overcome. He is always going to have a puncher's chance, but Kimbo is in limbo (hey, that rhymes) in the HW division. He is going to be fighting guys that are 30-35 pounds heavier than him, and it is going to be difficult to avoid being taken down.

I have always thought that he would be a much better fit in the LHW division, if he were able to cut the weight. Roy Nelson mentions that in an article on MMA Junkie that was posted last night. There are a lot less wrestlers in the LHW divisions, and a lot more people that will stand and bang. I think from a size and a style perspective, Kimbo is a much better fit there.

My thoughts exactly. Kimbo will have to drop down. He's built like a Mack truck but not very big for a HW.

evenly matched as well. i'm leaning towards rashad mainly because i dont think Thiago has much of a gas tank, but its possible to make strong arguments for both fighters

I'm leaning toward Rashad on this one too. Great co-main event. I just hope this doesn't give Dana an excuse to add a bunch of filler to the rest of the card.

My thoughts exactly. Kimbo will have to drop down. He's built like a Mack truck but not very big for a HW.

230lbs in his mid-thirties. He can't cut that weight. Roy cut to 264 (I assume. not many people walk around one pound under the limit). Not many HWs are that big. Brock, Carwin, Gonzaga, Antonio Silva..... Just thinking of guys off the top of my head that would not go right for the takedown: Kongo, Hardonk, Cro Cop, Arlovski, Sylvia, Buentello, Duffee, Rogers, Do Santos, Vera, Overeem, Petruzelli...

And almost all those guys knock Kimbo out standing. Like I said, Kimbo is not that feared a striker. Plenty of Muy Thai guys and boxers out there that would love a chance to stand with Kimbo.

230lbs in his mid-thirties. He can't cut that weight. Roy cut to 264 (I assume. not many people walk around one pound under the limit). Not many HWs are that big. Brock, Carwin, Gonzaga, Antonio Silva..... Just thinking of guys off the top of my head that would not go right for the takedown: Kongo, Hardonk, Cro Cop, Arlovski, Sylvia, Buentello, Duffee, Rogers, Do Santos, Vera, Overeem, Petruzelli...

And almost all those guys knock Kimbo out standing. Like I said, Kimbo is not that feared a striker. Plenty of Muy Thai guys and boxers out there that would love a chance to stand with Kimbo.

Wow, I didn't know he was 230+. Nevermind.

There was a good interview with Rashad on Inside MMA last night:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16375/inside-mma-preview-evans-says-fighting-only-way-he-and-rampage-will-settle-differences.mma

He talks mostly about TUF and Rampage but at the end they ask him about his next fight and he says that he wanted to fight Thiago Silva because after the Jardine fight, Rashad went to shake his hand and Thiago basically made a gesture to him like "you're next" so he says he was highly offended and really wants a shot at Silva. He also says that he turned down a fight with Randy because the Rampage thing was still a possibility.

Also, it's not in the video but Ron Kruck said last night that Kimbo strongly hinted that his next fight would be on the UFC 107 card.

He also says that he turned down a fight with Randy because the Rampage thing was still a possibility.

Also, it's not in the video but Ron Kruck said last night that Kimbo strongly hinted that his next fight would be on the UFC 107 card.

the fight with Randy is a lose/lose situation for Rashad. if he wins, everyone will say he beat an "old couture, coming off two losses" & if he loses, he "lost to an old couture, coming off two losses". i dont blame him for turning down that fight.

it would be hypocritical as hell if they put Kimbo on the 107 card, prelims or not. the man has not done a thing to warrant being on a ppv card, let him fight on the live finale of TUF then go from there

There was a good interview with Rashad on Inside MMA last night:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16375/inside-mma-preview-evans-says-fighting-only-way-he-and-rampage-will-settle-differences.mma

He talks mostly about TUF and Rampage but at the end they ask him about his next fight and he says that he wanted to fight Thiago Silva because after the Jardine fight, Rashad went to shake his hand and Thiago basically made a gesture to him like "you're next" so he says he was highly offended and really wants a shot at Silva. He also says that he turned down a fight with Randy because the Rampage thing was still a possibility.

Wow, Kimbo in the UFC. How many of us foresaw that even one year ago?

I've long asked people if they like MMA and I still get the answer, "yeah man, Kimbo slice is a BEAST." He still is our main example as to comparing a street fighter to a mixed martial artist. He may look good against the neighborhood enforcers, but nowadays he is REALLY making it clear to casual fans that elite MMA fighters are in a completely different zone. From what he said on TUF about what it takes to become "an ultimate fighter" to what is almost a guaranteed loss in the UFC, he is going to show everyone interested in him that MMA fighters are the real deal. No matter what you thought of his EliteXC days, he is good for MMA right now, and it goes beyond just bringing in the viewers.