Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Any more? Dana has always been a douche bag but people keep giving him props because of the way he manages his "property", I mean fighters. He's great for business but I think he's making the sport a joke. He's the Vince McMahon of MMA. Dude is such a douche. I'd love to see some one snap and choke his ass out.

Zo, good to hear from you! where have you been?

I agree with you 100% I cant stand Dana. I will give him credit for what he has done for the sport, but he sounds like and acts like the worlds biggest douche.

I don't see it that way at all. Penn can be a beast when he takes fighting seriously. As for P4P, I don't think there's any question that GSP is higher on the list than Penn. Penn is all over the place from fight to fight. GSP has done nothing but get better; remember he out wrestled one of the best wrestlers in the sport in Matt Hughes. Who expected that? His game has continuosly evolved and virtually everytime he steps into the ring you can see the improvement.

I'm anxious to see how much if any better he's gotten for this fight. One things for sure, if he hands Penn his ass fairly easy you have to put him in the top 3 P4P in the world. That's my opinon anyway.

Fedor, Silva and GSP if he dominates BJ:2cents:

Well where would you put GSP p4p if he isn't already top 3???

As for how BJ was portrayed, I do agree it was a little overboard. Im more surprised at all the **** talking. Yes he always talks **** and thats why I love him, but he is talking waaaaay more the usual, especially to a guy who holds a victory over him

I agree with you 100% I cant stand Dana. I will give him credit for what he has done for the sport, but he sounds like and acts like the worlds biggest douche.

Well where would you put GSP p4p if he isn't already top 3???

As for how BJ was portrayed, I do agree it was a little overboard. Im more surprised at all the **** talking. Yes he always talks **** and thats why I love him, but he is talking waaaaay more the usual, especially to a guy who holds a victory over him

Been around, just busy witht he new job is all

Personally I think he's already top 3 but it's subjective. I don't like to put fighters on a pedestal so I use the P4P phrase sparingly. It annoys me the way the UFC has annointed Spider the Obama of MMA. Silva is a bad man but he hasn't defeated anyone besides Hendo and Franklin IMO. His move up to 205 was one of Dana and the other guy who supposedly picks the matchups attempts at drawing ratings. So, I will concede that he's a great fighter but to crown him the best in the world is a bit premature is all I'm saying.

Fedor, come on how can you not put him at the top of the heap? Although Faber just lost his belt he's still one of the best fighters in the world at his weight class. GSP, IMO he has tremendous upside. Go back and check my posts in this thread about him. I didn't sip the GSP koolaid for a long time but he's won me over with the way his skills have evolved with every single fight. He's big and strong as hell where he's at right now so I could see him moving up and challenging Silva for the belt if he beats BJ. Talk about a fight.

Anyway, I just want to see Silva go into deep water in a fight against a great fighter and I just don't think the UFC has that guy right now to take him there. Silva needs that career defining fight or he's going to end up like Roy Jones. :2cents:

Bigger, but not better. GSP's only advantage is that he is bigger. Thats what get him the points in the last two rounds of their last fight.

Pound-for-pound there is no question who the better fighter is imo.

x2

BJ and GSP are my favorite 2 fighters. BJ is my favorite and i'm hoping GSP decides to keep this fight standing. But i think GSP learned his lesson in the 1st fight and won't stand much at all. I think GSP will win the fight by continually useing his size and strenght advantage to take BJ down. I can honestly see GSP stopping BJ on the ground but a more likely ending will be a lay-n-pray decision. My biggest question is can BJ's cardio go all 5 rounds againest GSP because he is gonna spend alot of energy defending takedowns. This fight won't be a boxing match like the Sherk fight he is gonna have to work.

I can see BJ winning 2 ways either by submission off his back or if GSP decides to stand and bang.

In my opinion pound for pound BJ is a better fighter but he is at a huge disadvantage. If BJ pulls this fight off the legend of BJ Penn just got even bigger.:cheers:

x2

BJ and GSP are my favorite 2 fighters. BJ is my favorite and i'm hoping GSP decides to keep this fight standing. But i think GSP learned his lesson in the 1st fight and won't stand much at all. I think GSP will win the fight by continually useing his size and strenght advantage to take BJ down. I can honestly see GSP stopping BJ on the ground but a more likely ending will be a lay-n-pray decision. My biggest question is can BJ's cardio go all 5 rounds againest GSP because he is gonna spend alot of energy defending takedowns. This fight won't be a boxing match like the Sherk fight he is gonna have to work.

I can see BJ winning 2 ways either by submission off his back or if GSP decides to stand and bang.

In my opinion pound for pound BJ is a better fighter but he is at a huge disadvantage. If BJ pulls this fight off the legend of BJ Penn just got even bigger.:cheers:

I don't understand the P4P arguement with BJ. Are you saying because he's smaller he's at a disadvantage? Didn't BJ fight at 185 a couple times and win? I mean he's a lot more cut at 155 but He's fought bigger dudes and won. Now, I will say GSP at 170 is probably stronger than a lot of 185 pounders. I dunno, it's going to be a hell of a fight. Them Hawaiians are some crazy mo fo's that's for sure.

I don't understand the P4P arguement with BJ. Are you saying because he's smaller he's at a disadvantage? Didn't BJ fight at 185 a couple times and win? I mean he's a lot more cut at 155 but He's fought bigger dudes and won. Now, I will say GSP at 170 is probably stronger than a lot of 185 pounders. I dunno, it's going to be a hell of a fight. Them Hawaiians are some crazy mo fo's that's for sure.

On any given day (except the day of the weigh in) GSP probably outweighs Penn by 20-30lbs. When Penn fought heavier he was bulking up for the fight. GSP could bulk up to 205 easy (but the 205 guys cut down from 220+)

I'm anxious to see how much if any better he's gotten for this fight. One things for sure, if he hands Penn his ass fairly easy you have to put him in the top 3 P4P in the world. That's my opinon anyway.

Fedor, Silva and GSP if he dominates BJ:2cents:

He does that and he is probably number one.

Right now I think the four of them are pretty close, but I'd put GSP firmly in 4th. He needs to be the smaller man just once before taking that crown for sure though. Everyone else on the list has done that.

BJ is an emotional fighter. He needs to talk that much to get himself psyched up. He'd probably be better off playing the underdog role with a little more humility, but that is not BJ.

x2

There will be no stopping the legend of Penn is he takes care of GSP. Really, if either fighter is dominate they will be vaulted to the top of the p4p lists.

I don't think either will be though. I expect a tough fight. If BJ has a chance to finish he better. Serra did it. BJ didn't in the first fight. I hope GSP comes to fight too and not lean and lay like rounds 2 and 3 of the first fight. That won't settle anything expect that GSP is bigger.

Been around, just busy witht he new job is all

Personally I think he's already top 3 but it's subjective. I don't like to put fighters on a pedestal so I use the P4P phrase sparingly. It annoys me the way the UFC has annointed Spider the Obama of MMA. Silva is a bad man but he hasn't defeated anyone besides Hendo and Franklin IMO. His move up to 205 was one of Dana and the other guy who supposedly picks the matchups attempts at drawing ratings. So, I will concede that he's a great fighter but to crown him the best in the world is a bit premature is all I'm saying.

Fedor, come on how can you not put him at the top of the heap? Although Faber just lost his belt he's still one of the best fighters in the world at his weight class. GSP, IMO he has tremendous upside. Go back and check my posts in this thread about him. I didn't sip the GSP koolaid for a long time but he's won me over with the way his skills have evolved with every single fight. He's big and strong as hell where he's at right now so I could see him moving up and challenging Silva for the belt if he beats BJ. Talk about a fight.

Anyway, I just want to see Silva go into deep water in a fight against a great fighter and I just don't think the UFC has that guy right now to take him there. Silva needs that career defining fight or he's going to end up like Roy Jones. :2cents:

Glad to hear everything is good with you :)

As for MMA, I agree with everything you said.

Spider Silva is a phenomenal fighter of course. He has not lost in the UFC. They are going to promote him as the greatest in the world when he lacks the IMO, most important aspect of MMA; Wrestling. It's nothing but a hype machine to sell more PPV's.

I am very impressed to say that you will put GSP #3 onyour list because I remember a while back we would have big arguments about GSP. If I remember correctly you questioned his heart and chin. I think since his loss to Serra he has squashed those concerns. Since then he has beat Hughes, Koscheck, Serra and Fitch. Damn impressive if you ask me.

As for p4p, IMO it is GSP. No other fighter in the game is so versatile. Penn has his boxing and BJJ. Silva has his boxing and BJJ. Fedor has his sambo and Boxing. But GSP has it all. BJJ, boxing and wrestling. At worst, he is #3.

x2

No way does GSP win a "lay and pray". If GSP has BJ on his back he will look to finish the fight, just like vs. Serra and Fitch.

If BJ beats GSP, he should vault to #1 p4p. If GSP beats BJ, he should vault to #1.

BJ can win this fight, don't get me wrong. He has amazing boxing and world class BJJ. I am very scared for this fight. Very scared. BJ has never been stopped.

GSP has been stopped twice. Once by a lame opening. He went for a Kimura vs hughes but was sloppy. Next was a freak TKO from Serra.

So it COULD happen, but I think he has PROVED he can win when it matters most.

like they said in the "primetime", BJ is a modern day Hawaiian warrior. But is he ready to give up that much weight to someone thta much bigger and stronger then him? GSP is the strongest at his weight class. (Maybe Alves is close. BJ is no doubt top 5 p4p tho. He is the "prodigy" for a reason. Look at his record, it speask for himself. If GSP never existed, I would be all over the BJ bandwagon. ( I still am, just not vs GSP)

On any given day (except the day of the weigh in) GSP probably outweighs Penn by 20-30lbs. When Penn fought heavier he was bulking up for the fight. GSP could bulk up to 205 easy (but the 205 guys cut down from 220+)

As someone who has hung out with GSP more then once, I agree with this.

BJ is an emotional fighter. He needs to talk that much to get himself psyched up. He'd probably be better off playing the underdog role with a little more humility, but that is not BJ.

Dude, you are preaching to the choir here. I love BJ just as much as the next. He thrives off of people counting him out. I'm just shocked that he is talknig SO MUCH trash against someone who has beaten him, and is such a formidable opponent. It's not like any of his last 3 opponents where he can talk a bunch of trash and back it up. GSP will push him to his limits.

There will be no stopping the legend of Penn is he takes care of GSP. Really, if either fighter is dominate they will be vaulted to the top of the p4p lists.

I don't think either will be though. I expect a tough fight. If BJ has a chance to finish he better. Serra did it. BJ didn't in the first fight. I hope GSP comes to fight too and not lean and lay like rounds 2 and 3 of the first fight. That won't settle anything expect that GSP is bigger.

There will be no stopping the legend of whoever wins. That's fact.

And i agree 100000%, if GSP lays n Prays his way to a decision, I will be PISSED. That will be BS. However, if he keeps taking BJ down and does some nasty GnP, then thats fine.

Look, for everyone who reads this post, I am as big of a GSP nuthugger as they come. I fully expect hime to win. Do I give BJ a chance? Hell yes. He's BJ Penn for ****s sake. He is the prodigy. Do I think they are both top 4, p4p? Of course, regardless of what happens.

The worst part about this fight is that one of my top 2 favorite fighters is gonna lose. And that will suck. I have driven the BJ penn bandwagon as long as I have been an MMA fan, Just not for this fight.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I can't remember GSP laying in praying since that fight, can anyone else? Dude has been downright explosive.

I am very impressed to say that you will put GSP #3 onyour list because I remember a while back we would have big arguments about GSP. If I remember correctly you questioned his heart and chin. I think since his loss to Serra he has squashed those concerns. Since then he has beat Hughes, Koscheck, Serra and Fitch. Damn impressive if you ask me.

What turned me was the way he totally dominated Matt Hughes doing what Matt Hughes does best, wrestle. It was the one part of GSP's game that I thought was the weakest, not anymore. That's what has impressed me the most about GSP and what I'm talking about when I say his game keeps evolving; if he has a hole in his game he fixes it. So, when an opponent comes into the ring thinking "all I have to do is X, Y and Z" well guess what, GSP has damn near perfected that since the last fight so good luck with that.

I think GSP comes into the ring one of the most well prepared fighters in the game. Most fighters have their style and they won't deviate from that whatsoever. Being such a well rounded fighter allows GSP to bring a counter for just about any style to the ring and he's proven that.

Speaking of preparation, I don't think he took Serra seriously and expected him to come in and try to take it to the ground. I know he as well as most of the MMA world was suprised by that knockout.

Penn has always been well rounded and GSP is so incredibly rounded these days that I don't see how this fight can be anything but a 5-round war. IMO, GSP has gotten better in every single fight thus far and Penn always struggles at anything higher than 170. GSP is naturally bigger (he walks around at 185ish) so barring any kind of getting clipped a la Chuck Liddell/Rashad Evans, I think Big Mike is getting a new sig!

i can't give GSP p4p just yet, when he was recently KO'd by a blown up LW. he redeemed the loss for sure, but as longs the Fedor is still winning, i think he has to be #1 (especially if he gets by AA, as that will defeat the only knock him against of not fighting top opponents (which is not terribly accurate to begin with) GSP is 2 or 3 on my p4p, him and Anderson switch around alot on my list

Edited by StillUnknown

Speaking of Fedor I can't wait until the AA fight. How do you see it going? Do you think he'll stand and strike with Andrei or take him down and try to kimura him?

I think he is going to walk thru him with big shots and bully him to the ground. then he will do whtaever he wants because Arlovski left his balls back in 05.

Speaking of Fedor I can't wait until the AA fight. How do you see it going? Do you think he'll stand and strike with Andrei or take him down and try to kimura him?

depends on how arlovski approaches the fight. if AA comes out aggressive trying to end it, Fedor takes him to the ground and pounds him. if AA is timid, Fedor bullrushes him and KO's him standing.

AA's best chance is the aggressive approach, although i'm not sure that will be enough. fedor's well rounded enough to fight anywhere and is a great gameplanner. this is a man who stood toe to toe with CroCop when CroCop was among the best striker in MMA

Arlovski left his balls back in 05.

:rotflmao:

depends on how arlovski approaches the fight. if AA comes out aggressive trying to end it, Fedor takes him to the ground and pounds him. if AA is timid, Fedor bullrushes him and KO's him standing.

AA's best chance is the aggressive approach, although i'm not sure that will be enough. fedor's well rounded enough to fight anywhere and is a great gameplanner. this is a man who stood toe to toe with CroCop when CroCop was among the best striker in MMA

That was one of my favorite fights of all time, I just remember CroCop going for head kicks and Fedor ducking them then bullrushing him down to the mat. We'd never seen CroCop bullied like that before.

:rotflmao:

That was one of my favorite fights of all time, I just remember CroCop going for head kicks and Fedor ducking them then bullrushing him down to the mat. We'd never seen CroCop bullied like that before.

lets not forget he destroyed Tim Sylvia in 30secs when AA couldn't pull the trigger in the last 2 fights:

2l9k4du.gif

Yeah, I've been getting nervous with each good opponent that Fedor fights these days. He's been so dominant that I'm just waiting on him to get "Matt Serra'd" one day but he comes in and takes care of business every time like no other.

I think a convincing win over Arlovski makes him without a doubt the #1 p4p in the world, over Anderson.

mmaweekly

..De La Hoya downplayed conflict with his company’s other event, a welterweight boxing clash between “Sugar” Shane Mosley and Antonio Margarito, set to take place on the same evening as “Reckoning.”

“We obviously sat down and talked about it,” he said. “We talked about it with Affliction, with talked about it with Showtime pay-per-view, we talked about it with HBO. We strongly believe that it’s a whole different audience. Both shows will be sold out, there’s no doubt about that. We just felt that it’s not going to hurt anyone.”

----------

I don't like Oscar's reasoning here. I know I used to be a big boxing fan and miss seeing great fights. I just don't invest my time in boxing anymore since it seems like one out of ten ends up being worth it, but I know there are a couple of you here that love both sports. They are not completely different audiences. It is crazy that they are promoting both events on the same night and even crazier that they are only miles apart (LA and Anaheim). I doubt Golden Boy would put a big fight on the same night as a UFC show, so this is very curious to me.

I also don't know how he can be so confident of a sellout when there are still blocks of ten seats available in every section of the arena as of right now two days before the event. I'm sure they plan on buying the tickets themselves to make it look good.

Edited by Sebowski

promoting boxing and MMA is completely different.

boxing promotes specific stars, MMA promotes the event as a whole. nobody gives a rats ass about a boxing undercard, people always care about who's on the undercard of MMA events.

promoting MMA like boxing will not work. for as much grief as I give Dana, he has the right model for promoting MMA right now.

promoting boxing and MMA is completely different.

boxing promotes specific stars, MMA promotes the event as a whole. nobody gives a rats ass about a boxing undercard, people always care about who's on the undercard of MMA events.

promoting MMA like boxing will not work. for as much grief as I give Dana, he has the right model for promoting MMA right now.

SU, you're a boxing fan. If you lived in SoCal and the events were on different nights would you go to both? I think they are losing a few thousand people each way by having both on the same night.

Off the top of my head, my top 5 MMA P4P:

1. Fedor- Hasn't lost. Ever. His one "loss" was due to injury and he avenged it.

2. Spider- He's simply on fire, destroying all comers no matter how highly ranked. I can't put him above Fedor until Fedor loses though.

3. GSP- I have him ranked higher than BJ because has truly been such a complete fighter, lower than Silva because he got KOed recently.

4. BJ Penn- If he had been better conditioned earlier in his career I'd give him the #2 or #3 spot but he can earn that by beating GSP. (I think he beat GSP the first time but whatever.)

5. Rashad Evans- 2nd hottest fighter on the map (behind Silva) as far as recent activity. In my view, dude's gotta lose before anyone can knock him out of P4P contention. He's improved almost as profoundly as GSP has in the last 3 years. I say this as someone who is not a Rashad fan.

Honorable mentions:

Faber- He just got KOed and has never fought in the UFC or Pride so he hasn't been tested by the best. I know he looks awesome but I can't give him P4P status until he's been to the mountain top. In fact, I can't give any WEC fighter any P4P love.

Josh Barnett- Only Cro Cop has truly owned him and I doubt Mirko could beat him now.

Rampage- other than the controversial decision loss to Griffin, he's run the table in the UFC impressively with victories over BIG names.

Frank Mir- He's BACK. If he beats Lesnar again, he catapults to #3 or #4.

Edited by Chachie

SU, you're a boxing fan. If you lived in SoCal and the events were on different nights would you go to both? I think they are losing a few thousand people each way by having both on the same night.

if i could afford it (i'm a broke student right about now :D), i would definitely go to both. i agree, they are losing a bit of revenue by holding both events on the same day.

1. Fedor- Hasn't lost. Ever. His one "loss" was due to injury and he avenged it.

2. Spider- He's simply on fire, destroying all comers no matter how highly ranked. I can't put him above Fedor until Fedor loses though.

3. GSP- I have him ranked higher than BJ because has truly been such a complete fighter, lower than Silva because he got KOed recently.

4. BJ Penn- If he had been better conditioned earlier in his career I'd give him the #2 or #3 spot but he can earn that by beating GSP. (I think he beat GSP the first time but whatever.)

5. Rashad Evans- 2nd hottest fighter on the map (behind Silva) as far as recent activity. In my view, dude's gotta lose before anyone can knock him out of P4P contention. He's improved almost as profoundly as GSP has in the last 3 years. I say this as someone who is not a Rashad fan.

Honorable mentions:

Faber- He just got KOed and has never fought in the UFC or Pride so he hasn't been tested by the best. I know he looks awesome but I can't give him P4P status until he's been to the mountain top. In fact, I can't give any WEC fighter any P4P love.

Josh Barnett- Only Cro Cop has truly owned him and I doubt Mirko could beat him now.

Rampage- other than the controversial decision loss to Griffin, he's run the table in the UFC impressively with victories over BIG names.

i agree with your list for the most part, although i have Miguel Torres @ #5 and Rashad at #6, and Aoki has to be at least an honorable mention

Edited by StillUnknown

Honorable mentions:

Josh Barnett is the most underrated fighter in the game.

You pretty much mentioned the top ten. Missing Machida and Torres tho.

Edited by Dance04

I heard Rampage is getting a shot at the belt again. Can anyone confirm this for me?

If so, how the hell does he get a crack at the title before Machida? I'm beginning to wonder if it's the boring fights keeping him from getting his shot or if it's the top 205 guys are afraid to fight him.