Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People seem to be forgetting about Todd Collins...

FunBunch7

With Brunell's age/health alwasy a concern and Jason Campbell not even of age to vote yet yet, I strongly think that in a pinch the coaching staff would go with Collins. He knows the offense coming from KC with Saunders and he has hardly played in his career which makes him pretty darn healthy.

I hope to God noting happens to Brunell, and i could even see the coaches "listing" Campbell as the #2 guy. But I think that Collins would start the next game after JC filled in for Mark if he got hurt during a game.

Collins might be one of those Trent Green/Kurt Warner types that gets his shot due to an injury then lights it up.

But I hope nothing happens to Brunell. He is the perfect Joe Gibbs-type veteran QB.

But then again...Toothlessberger did great his rookie season and 2nd season.

With Brunell's age/health alwasy a concern and Jason Campbell not even of age to vote yet yet, I strongly think that in a pinch the coaching staff would go with Collins. He knows the offense coming from KC with Saunders and he has hardly played in his career which makes him pretty darn healthy.

I hope to God noting happens to Brunell, and i could even see the coaches "listing" Campbell as the #2 guy. But I think that Collins would start the next game after JC filled in for Mark if he got hurt during a game.

Collins might be one of those Trent Green/Kurt Warner types that gets his shot due to an injury then lights it up.

But I hope nothing happens to Brunell. He is the perfect Joe Gibbs-type veteran QB.

First, Campbell is 24, so last time I checked, he can vote. Next, we don't know how ready Campbell is, and won't until training camp so we can't make that judgement call. You contridict yourself with the Rothlisberger comment at the end. Collins may be a sleeper like T.Green, but its highly unlikely.

If this offense is somewhat new to our team, who's to say that Collins couldn't get in there and keep pace with them and do just fine.

His limited playing time is more because Trent Green is so good. I'm not saying that JC isn't capable, but at least Todd knows where to throw the ball on every play. Plus it isn't hard to get in tandem with our RB's and hand them a ball.

Whether he cracks under pressure is more of a concern to me, but he knows the offense and our O-line is great, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

But as others have said, we'll have to wait until Training camp

I disagree with your assessment, Gfunk703. I hope he doesn't have to play. However, if he's called into duty he is an experienced veteran who knows the offense. They didn't bring him in to teach, they brought him in to play if he had to. He has been a backup, but it was a backup behind a great QB with a good offense. It's not like he was a journeyman who went to a ton of different cities and just barely managed to hang on. He was an important part of an NFL team for many years. How many other backup QBs do you know that stick with the same offensive system for 8 years without being recycled by their team for someone younger or more reliable? His longevity makes me believe that while he hasn't gotten a chance to play, the teams haven't wasted their investment with him.

It really depends on Preseason where Todd will be in the line up. However, I rest much easier knowing that that experience is here if we need it. If JC does not impress in preseason than he will be #3 and TC will back up Brunell...and probably get some playing time this year. That would be the worst case scenario but it is what it is

First, Campbell is 24, so last time I checked, he can vote. Next, we don't know how ready Campbell is, and won't until training camp so we can't make that judgement call. You contridict yourself with the Rothlisberger comment at the end. Collins may be a sleeper like T.Green, but its highly unlikely.

Okay, the whole "voting thing" is just a figure of speech...it just means he's young.

1nd, I didn't contradict myself about Rothlisberger. I said (But then again) He did good in his 1st two seasons.

Maybe Campbell would come in here and light it up or at least play within the system and not LOSE any games for us.

My point is simply, I would feel a heck of alot more comfortable in December with Collins leading our team than Campbell. This is a knock on JC, but he has run the offense before and he has been in the NFL for 8 years. He and Al Saunders could probably make it work if needed.

I want JC to do awesome!

But suppose Brunell had been kidnapped by Aliens last week and all we had was Collins and JC...I'm sure the coaching staff would say it's an "open competition" during training camp...but I bet Collins would be taking snaps with the 1st team right now.

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Collins ends up being first off the bench if Brunell goes down. In the middle of a game, you want a guy who can step in and keep the offense running, which is what Collins can do.

Now, if Brunell goes down for any length of time, I believe Campbell would be the guy because of his ability. But, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable putting the kid in when the game is on the line right now.

Jason

Joe Gibbs likes veterans (ie. experience) and so I can certainly see Collins getting the call. However, I think that this preseason showing by both Collins and Campbell will be the single factor in this decision.

If Campbell shows well in preseason (ie. makes good decisions and executes well) then I do expect he will get the call because I do think the coaches want test him out under real game conditions.

If neither QB comes out of preseason with a clear distinction as to who is the better QB then I think that the decision could be made based on the specific game situation. If the game is close then go with experience (stressing importance of not making a big mistake that could cost us the game). If we have a good lead then put in Campbell so he can get some experience and so the coaches can evaluate him in actual game situation. Or, if we are well behind then put in Campbell to see if he can make some magic happen.

Evryone is talking about where they think Jason Campbell will be in the Depth chart but no one knows until preseason starts and they see how they play. If you have followed JC's career at Auburn you would know he had four different OC,he learned all of them, and not only did well he played better every year. So that means he has a very quick learning curve and he may be the best option for us when and if Brunell goes down. If not when do you put him out there? If he is the future, do we wait until next year because we can't win with him or is it because he isn't as good as Joe Gibbs says he is? Remember Joe Gibbs is the head coach known to have made quarterbacks look great. He does have three super bowl rings with three different QB's. Todd Collins might be the best option for a short term but his job is to help Jason ready for that day when he needs to be the starter which will be sooner than we all think.

If not when do you put him out there? If he is the future, do we wait until next year because we can't win with him or is it because he isn't as good as Joe Gibbs says he is?

You put him out there when we are sitting at 2-5 and Brunell is hurt. Then he can have a no pressure experience.

I think Todd Collins would be used for short term injuries..Mark Brunell comes out to get something taped up or something....Collins comes in for a few downs...than Mark comes back in to take over......now if it is a long term injury....I'd expect JC to take over.

I'd say it's easy to forget a guy like Collins b/c no one knows about him. I think he was brought in as a signal caller to communicate with Brunell, and I'm sure that Campbell will be #2. Collins is a veteran signal caller for Green, that's it. He has no experience (to speak of...I mean a handfull of games, and 100 yards and 1 TD or whatever). Campbell is our #2 IMO, but I don't think we'll need to worry about a #2 guy this year. Brunell will do everything in his power to stay on the field. Here's hoping this isn't an issue in '06 :cheers: .

HTTR!

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Collins ends up being first off the bench if Brunell goes down. In the middle of a game, you want a guy who can step in and keep the offense running, which is what Collins can do.

Now, if Brunell goes down for any length of time, I believe Campbell would be the guy because of his ability. But, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable putting the kid in when the game is on the line right now.

Jason

That's exactly how I feel. In a pinch, for a quarter or two, it would be Collins. If Mark will be out for a few weeks, we'd prep Campbell to play.

Can you guys at least wait until we see the both of them in the PreSeason. its crazy to comment before we know what they can do we the bullets are flying.

I could care less who gets the job as long as they can get the job done.

don't put your faith on collins so much if brunell does go down. how old is collins anyways?

Archived